Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 815781 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Guard dogs?
« Reply #1170 on: October 21, 2009, 11:38:41 am »

Mindmaker, I had the same problem, having bought the German retail version of Orange Box for 20€. I filed a ticket on steam support about it, requesting the sillygibs-mode removed and replaced with normal gibs, and in around 4 days my game updated and the problem was solved. Though that wasn't anywhere near their claimed respond time, which is 23 hours.

And this was just 2 months ago, so they might have got better at this support thing.

I too bought the Orange Box, maybe half a year ago, in Austria.
Could you possibly tell me what you wrote to convince them?

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: October 21, 2009, 01:32:06 pm »

@Toonyman: Not quite, instead of presents there's rubber ducks, gears, hamburgers, balloon ducks and weird stuff like that flying around. It's pretty creative and funny, but it gets old.

@Mindmaker: This silly little letter did the job, with the title of "Low violence in TF2" and the category "Game questions > Video Problems":
I'd like to have low violence turned off of my Team Fortress 2. The retail version of the Orange Box I bought is apparently a censored German version, but I'm Finnish and getting a little tired of the silly gibs. Having played a lot of Soldier and Demoman lately, the regular gibs would be nice.

Thank you in advance,

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 21, 2009, 04:09:46 pm »

I for one am glad the guard dog update is not real, as I would no longer resist being able to buy this game (something I have neither the time nor money for).

Curse my love of playing quadrapeds and other non-humanoids in video games. (Playing as Raptor in Turok multiplayer was so. much. fun.)

Luckily, not real, so I can keep on having a productive life by barely resisting the urge to buy this game.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: October 21, 2009, 06:30:24 pm »

Why is no-one playing on it? Is it lack of image? Or is it that other servers are better? Tell meeeee! I want to make it better :(
TBH, my horrible ping is why I don't normally play on [DFC]. I would play if it was east-coast (Im on west). But there were probably good reasons to make it UK based, right?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 21, 2009, 06:37:23 pm »

I still think a US based server is a better idea. US and Canada have quite crappy broadband compared to Europe and the UK (my top download speed in optimum conditions is still just 850kbps. I know you guys can do 2mbps easy.), so it would cost you guys less (in terms of ping) than it does for us.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: October 21, 2009, 06:47:13 pm »

Yeah, I get about 110 ping normally on the [DFC] server.  Which is fine for being USA East-Coast.

But I hear those USA West-Coast people get like 260 ping.  Which isn't the best.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: October 21, 2009, 06:48:55 pm »

But I hear those USA West-Coast people get like 260 ping.  Which isn't the best.
Yep getting 200+
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: October 21, 2009, 07:12:29 pm »

Usually the server isn't too bad lag- and ping-wise for me. I'm eastern US (Central timezone) though, so that helps some. My ping is usually 100+, but I can't usually tell the difference between the DFC server and servers closer to me, where I have ~65 ping, or even those with 20-ish ping.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: October 21, 2009, 08:00:36 pm »

Yeah, the 200 ping is a bit of an issue. Do you guys know how bad it is for everyone? Like how many people are in this situation?

Also: we have the ability to change the server location. I'll change to the east coast, try it out there for a bit. If it doesn't work out we can try else where. Although I'm going to have to copy all the files across.

And, donations pl0x!

Annnnd, I might also need someone else to help look after the server files aswell. Donaters only though.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:02:33 pm by Nilocy »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #1179 on: October 21, 2009, 08:03:42 pm »

USA Pacific Coast player here
I max at 100 Ping

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: October 22, 2009, 06:43:08 am »

Hmm, then seems to be issues with internet speeds...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: October 22, 2009, 12:49:25 pm »

This could help put it in perspective.

The total length of the UK is around 625km.

Distance between the US west coast and east coast is close to 6000km. This means it takes around 10 Englands to go from the east to the west of the USA.

Canada is even further apart.

Then there's the North Atlantic ocean in the way.

That's why there's such a huge ping difference. Yes, internet speed has something to do with it too, but that's the major issue right there. Since none of us are going to upgrade our internet speed (I run the fastest internet available in the province) just to play a game, the only other thing to do is mess around with the server location. Do what you said before. Try switching to an east coast server for awhile and we'll see how that goes. If it sucks too much, you could always switch back.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 22, 2009, 01:34:41 pm »

@Mindmaker: This silly little letter did the job, with the title of "Low violence in TF2" and the category "Game questions > Video Problems":
I'd like to have low violence turned off of my Team Fortress 2. The retail version of the Orange Box I bought is apparently a censored German version, but I'm Finnish and getting a little tired of the silly gibs. Having played a lot of Soldier and Demoman lately, the regular gibs would be nice.

Thank you in advance,

Well I tried to explain the issue several times to the support, but either he was dumb, or just didn't care.
I'll write them again tomorrow, maybe I have more luck then.

So is this server still there?
And are people from here playing?
Because the other reason I stopped playing is, that I didn't knew anybody there and was always playing with random people which got boring quickly...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: October 22, 2009, 02:10:31 pm »

While we're at it, there are actually uncensored german versions, too. I got one. (Set to english ;D But it's a german release)

Can I set it to show the non violent stuff, without running into danger of losing the uncut stuff (I think I remember somebody saying he wasnt able to turn it to violent again) easily? Sometimes I feel like i wanna see rubberducks and tricycle wheels...

The only real downside is that blood deffo is a better hit indicator than the stuff you get from the cut version >:( Talking real balance issue here. (unless they changed it since release)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:12:56 pm by Puck »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1184 on: October 22, 2009, 04:45:49 pm »

Yeah our server is still there, we've been running organised games on Sunday nights for the past few weeks which seem to have been fairly popular. If anyone wants games organised at other days/times let us know and we'll post up announcements for it.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 774