Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 812963 times)

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Polycount Pack winners! "Aye, that's tha way ya do it!"
« Reply #4455 on: August 01, 2010, 01:05:10 am »

Uberbump

Wubububububu

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4456 on: August 01, 2010, 11:00:52 am »

We need an OP change for the Minecraft Update.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: August 01, 2010, 01:54:49 pm »

I know how to physically unwrap it, that's the easy part. It's more like... it takes a long, long, long time to get results that look, at best, ok. I'm thinking about trying 3DS Max, it's supposed to have good tools for this kind of thing.

Tools a tool. You really aren't going to get different results using something else without knowing what your doing. In Blender depends on what you mean by it not looking good. You could set some lines to seams using Ctrl+E and Mark Seam so the unwrap considers it separate sections. From there you can use the pin function on certain UV points in the UV editor to lock them in place (like at say the corners) and then re-unwrap the mesh, which will obey the pinned point's locations.

That's off the top of my head though, as I'm not sitting in front of the desktop currently.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: August 01, 2010, 05:39:31 pm »

I know how to physically unwrap it, that's the easy part. It's more like... it takes a long, long, long time to get results that look, at best, ok. I'm thinking about trying 3DS Max, it's supposed to have good tools for this kind of thing.

Tools a tool. You really aren't going to get different results using something else without knowing what your doing. In Blender depends on what you mean by it not looking good. You could set some lines to seams using Ctrl+E and Mark Seam so the unwrap considers it separate sections. From there you can use the pin function on certain UV points in the UV editor to lock them in place (like at say the corners) and then re-unwrap the mesh, which will obey the pinned point's locations.

That's off the top of my head though, as I'm not sitting in front of the desktop currently.

Turns out my problem was just that Blender unwraps UV's very poorly. Specifically, Blender just LOVES stretching circular islands into ovals. It'll also make one side of an island much larger than the other even though both are the same size on the model. It also shrinks one part of an island just to conserve angles which causes horrible distortion, much worse than if it just bent some of the triangles slightly. Fuck that shit, fixing those problems takes forever, and because I have to do it by hand, I've assuredly fucked up somewhere.

So I tried a stand-alone UV editor called UV Layout, and it's fantastic. It's basically exactly the same but without any stupid errors like random stretching or making the entire end of the island as large as one triangle on the other end.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: August 01, 2010, 06:06:58 pm »

Everybody on the server!
I'm on there, that means it's officially time for everybody else to get on too.

EDIT:

L-

L-L-L-

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

L-L-L-L-
AAAAA
G

L

G-G-G-G-

LAAAGGGGGGG
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:24:39 pm by PTTG?? »

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We need an OP change for the Minecraft Update.
Naaah, that isn't really about TF2 and would encourage discussion about Minecraft. And the effect of the blog mention is already discussed in the Minecraft thread. But for you, I changed the title somewhat.

Also, I'm absolutely stumped how much donations the "let's destroy some golden wrenches" thing is raking in (5000$ as of this post). It seems so backwards, removing something from the game for donations. Pretty nice that it's working though.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

I seriously can't take any post you make seriously now umi.

That damned avatar.

Also yes, this is a great charity appeal, and I hope they get moar money! :D

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

That's not so bad. Looks at Akigagak's avatar.

Edit: Misspelled name.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:24:04 am by dragnar »
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Ohhhhh snap TF2 is playing smoothly for me for some reason. Gotta get some play on while I can.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Warhammer 40k.

Neato.

Interesting, although I find the massive number of comments asking for a "Starcraft" one to be hilarious.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You-tube comments are the saddest thing ever.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile

Warhammer 40k.

Neato.

That's bizarre.

Are any of those chapters canon?  I realise it's somewhat arbitrary when they're fighting in Dustbowl, but nevertheless...  :P  I think I recognised a Blood Angel and a Legion of the Damned pyro.
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Warhammer 40k.

Neato.

That's bizarre.

Are any of those chapters canon?  I realise it's somewhat arbitrary when they're fighting in Dustbowl, but nevertheless...  :P  I think I recognised a Blood Angel and a Legion of the Damned pyro.
I don't know anything about the 40k universe except what little I read on /tg/.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 774