Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 814586 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Slight derail (again) -- thanks for all the tips a few pages back. I'll jump into some pub matches later this week with a soldier and learn the game/maps, then I might join you guys and let you all kill me. Once I'm not complete newbie fodder, that is.

Game does look fun. The "Meet the [class]" videos and this thread got me to open my wallet.

Now, back to the Pyro discussion.
I think these derails are completely acceptable as they're still about TF2. I must say it's pretty refreshing to have some non-pyro-related conversation going on too.

I'm trying to remember how I got over the starting hurdle of having no idea what was going on and dying a lot. I think I started playing medic and after a while noticed I was actually getting something done and had a decent amount of points. It's great how the game isn't just shooty-shooty-boom-blast as I hadn't played any FPS games before and it needed rather a lot of getting used to.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:16:12 am by LASD »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

I thought that rumor was unsubstantiated?
It makes sense why Valve would not have a video for the Medic yet. I'll just take it 'till something else pops up.

They don't have Meet the Pyro, either.  So unless they lost the absolutely irreplaceable Pyro voice actor too, this explanation kind of...falls flat.

Besides, Meet the Spy took an awful long time to come out, too, if you think about it.

The TF2 team is reduced in size and time commitment now that the game's been around a while, which is totally cool with me.  I can't expect them to make big fancy trailers like those, when they've got stuff like L4D to work on.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Yay! Pyro rules even more!

Vs heavies, use an airblast combo and/or run in circles.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

Vs heavies. Stay the hell away from them, at the most pester them with the flaregun. Or use the old tactic of letting your afterburn do the brunt's work.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile

Pyro re-buffed? Hell yes!
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Heavies == stay close. Preferably behind them. You can circle almost as fast as they can turn, and if there's a wall, an airblast usually confuses their aim as well, and gives you time to switch to the Axetinguisher. I'm still training for that combo, it's hard but doable.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

A fun way to deal with heavies if you can't do something tricky like getting on top of them - puff them, airburst them out of the way, preferably into an area they won't have line of sight on you in a second, and run like fuck.

Doesn't work as well now that spinning up doesn't actually slow them substantially, but if you're lucky they'll wait a few seconds for you to attack then just break out a Sandvich.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Oh, that's a good one, just wait for them to sandwich... :o

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Yup. Then you can either torch and double-axe or move on to more promising targets, like medics.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile

I've been having fun as a Pyro, but my method is:

10 Run in
20 Throw fire everywhere
30 Die
40 Go to 10

This is usually over the space of < 60 seconds. Anyone got some advice for a semi-newbie?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Learning to airburst explosives has both immediate benefits (attacks that are not on you, more attacks against enemies at whatever distance, guaranteed minicrits) and less obvious benefits (if you're monstrously good, soldiers and demomen may be hesitant to attack you).

Your effectiveness becomes explosive rapidly in a way most classes cannot dream of when you get a surprise attack now that fire damage is fixed.

Axtinguisher is good but not always necessary.

Learn to use airburst to manage your enemies in engagements.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

This map can help you practice the timing on Airblasting
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Last night I was playing pyro.  An engie had set up a level 3 sentry right in front of the spawn on goldrush 1. There was only one other person on my team at the time so we were having some trouble getting passed it.  Probably partially because we were to stubborn to switch from the classes we started as.

I was pyro and airblasted the sentries rockets back at it while the engi was away.  It worked surprisingly well It went down in 2 reflects.  Though after the first one the other guy on my team began shooting it too, so I can't be certain how many it would actually require.  It was funny, the last reflect managed to hit the engie on his way back to try to save his sentry as well, killing him. 

It earned a "lol" response.

P.S. I had also discovered that game that the buff banner causes sentries in the area to minicrit as well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

I like the Pyro changes too.

Looks like I'll be switching back from Backburner/Shotty/Homewrecker to Flamethrower/Flare Gun/Homewrecker.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

(if you're monstrously good, soldiers and demomen may be hesitant to attack you).
With competent soldiers and demomen, this is always the case. They know how to fire their rockets off at rates that trip you up, so unless you have the reflexes to dodge a bullet and the ping to see a rocket within the half-frame it takes to hit you at close rnage you rely on 'feeling' when the opponent will fire a rocket at you.

Also, Buff Banner only boosts sentries when the banner influences the engineer. Just on the sentry does nothing. You can boost an engineer in the spawn who has a snetry out there and the sentry will recieve the boost.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 774