Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 789923 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Meat Vs. Match update! "Look, this isn't a banana simulator"
« Reply #11505 on: August 24, 2016, 02:02:22 pm »

by the way GET HYPE for froyotech to win their 3rd i-series in a row BibleThump

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Meat Vs. Match update! "Look, this isn't a banana simulator"
« Reply #11506 on: August 24, 2016, 02:38:41 pm »

I get the feeling that this may be the last or one of the last i-series tournaments for TF2, so I'd definitely give it a look if you're interested in TF2 being played at the level it deserves.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: August 24, 2016, 03:09:28 pm »

When I've watched comp TF2 in the past I've found there've been some pretty long periods of "downtime" where neither team has any incentive to try and make an attack (unless they're at a major numbers/uber advantage). I dunno if that's just an issue with control points or what.

I think you could solve it just by making the timer a bit shorter.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:13:59 pm by Leafsnail »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: August 24, 2016, 05:23:49 pm »

It's an issue with 5CP, yeah. Sideshow talks about it at length in one of his videos. Reducing the timer just adds MORE incentive to stalemate, since it becomes easier to just wait until you get a second shot at the midfight instead of risking a push.

The best games are always the ridiculously frantic games between slightly-worse-than-the-best teams, like Spanked vs Crowns at Dreamhack. That was a beautiful, beautiful game.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: August 25, 2016, 04:23:44 am »

Does it provide any more incentive to wait? It makes it less boring to do so I guess but that's a benefit from a viewer perspective.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: August 25, 2016, 04:50:48 am »

Here's the video I was talking about.

And if you reduce the time, people will purposefully stall more often, since it obviously becomes easier to get that reset.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: August 25, 2016, 01:58:44 pm »

The best way to fix stalemates in matches is in map design, in my opinion. Vulnerable last points with awkward spawns and a second-last area that's both easy to push from and easy to attack/sneak a scout around for a difficult-to-respond-to backcap would be ideal, but I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on map design. The easiest rough fix on most maps would probably be to decrease the last cap time, but that makes the map less fun at open levels of play, and horrendous at the pub level. Maybe it should part of tournament mode to reduce last cap times on 5CP, so pubs and the rest are irrelevant and maybe pugs can play with slightly longer last times.

But then valve goes and does the opposite like doubling badlands last cap time, and you just have to throw your hands up and hope the random number generator that dictates valve's balance decisions goes the right way next time.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: August 26, 2016, 01:44:17 pm »

ITS LIVE GET HYPED PogChamp PogChamp0 www.twitch.tv/teamfortresstv

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: August 26, 2016, 03:06:59 pm »

These delays though.

Edit:
Jesus christ on a bike that process match, watching those uncivilized australians pound froyo like it's the last days of rome, I can't even believe it. It's like the froyboys had to be reminded that this isn't a stalemate simulator.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:48:52 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: August 26, 2016, 04:39:07 pm »

But then valve goes and does the opposite like doubling badlands last cap time, and you just have to throw your hands up and hope the random number generator that dictates valve's balance decisions goes the right way next time.
I think that's a reasonable decision for pubs. They can use a different version of the map in tournaments if needed.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: August 28, 2016, 07:13:52 am »

also mike = god

E:

insomnia is a joy to watch because the casters are so great

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grats to the winners,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:24:59 pm by miauw62 »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: August 28, 2016, 04:00:57 pm »

Really great finish. I don't know that I would recommend all of the final's games, but the last match they played (process) is worth watching in its entirety. Would also recommend all of Jasmine's matches, and Froyo's as well (normally not a fan, but I enjoyed all the matches I saw them in more than classic Froyo, with closer matches that were well-coordinated, but still fairly aggressive and prone to scrappy breakdowns). Be prepared to skip most of Crowns' matches, they thoroughly lived up to their reputation of stalemating.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: August 28, 2016, 04:17:01 pm »

What I saw of i58 (that wasn't hours of waiting due to technical issues) was pretty good. Lots of sweet back and forth action and some funny offclass plays.

In less good news the Short Circuit is currently so broken that it renders the game barely playable. I guess I still have DeGroot Keep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=easeo6NZ7jA

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: August 28, 2016, 04:23:13 pm »

the short circuit is a bullshit weapon in general

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: August 28, 2016, 04:30:27 pm »

Sure but I mean more that it's currently bugged to give members of the opposite team horrific lag spikes.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 774