Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Computer purging help needed  (Read 4092 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Computer purging help needed
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:47:31 pm »

So... I got a free trial version of WinRAR for a bit there in order to play Spelunky... got tired of the game and I'm trying to remove the stuff for it when I find out.. WinRAR is a zombie. I delete it to the recycle bin and then delete it there, but searching my computer for it shows me that its still there. Every goddamned thing I try to download gets put into the WinRAR program, and then doesn't run from there. Can't get another copy of DF to mod with, can't get any of the games talked of here, nothing. At this point, I don't care if the only way to remove it is to snap my keyboard in half and place a curse upon my firstborn. Any help will be appreciated, thank you all.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: Computer purging help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:49:04 pm »

You could always try uninstalling it from the programs, and features area...

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:52:23 pm »

Getting rid of it would be the best thing to do, doing what Okenido said, but if that doesn't work, you might try downloading ZipGenius. I personally find it really good for those things, it can unzip pretty much anything. And, if you're unable to get rid of WinRaR, perhaps it will override it and set itself as the default for unzipping things and such.

Oh, it's also completely free :)
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:59:20 pm »

So is this actually a virus, or are you just having trouble with everything opening in Winrar?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:04:48 pm »

It opens every single goddamned thing except my internet broswer in winrar. It's seriously pissing me off.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:28:22 pm »

Shift Right Click is your friend... Open As

Also, depending on your OS, you should be able to remove the file associations...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:33:41 pm »

Not a single thing has worked. I've removed every single file that is or opens with WinRAR to the recycle bin and deleted them from there, all at least 20 times per program. And it keeps coming back. I'm so pissed I'm not ashamed to admit I'm crying as I type this. This has got me the most frustrated I've been in years, and it's a serious consideration at this point to just smash the shit out of my computer with a bat, and buy a new one.

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:38:51 pm »

The problem lies within your registries, I'm fairly certain. I had a program once, which I simply removed rather than uninstalling, and to use it again I had to remove it from my registries. Sadly I'm not sure how I did it, or where the registries were once you opened the registry editor, but I'm sure someone here would know how, or if not there must be some sort of tutorial for it...
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:07:13 pm »

Do a search on removing file associations for your OS... It's not that hard to do.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 10:43:08 pm »

Use 7-zip, it rocks.
Shoes...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 10:58:51 pm »

Sounds like you might have a virus. Go to http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/ and run its free online scan and clean. If you can't get it to run, you probably have a virus.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 11:41:01 pm »

I delete it to the recycle bin and then delete it there, but searching my computer for it shows me that its still there.
Waiwut? Did you UNINSTALL it properly before that? In case you did, nevermind me, but it sounds a if you didn't.

And in case you did, you probably just didn't properly remove the file associations.

So either reinstall to the same location and properly uninstall, and THEN delete everything that might get left behind or just go look up how to remove the according file associations.

And after you did all that... google "CCleaner".

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 01:26:36 am »

And try to calm down, good sir.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Electronic Phantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:04:51 am »

>.>

So far I haven't seen this so I'll mention it: format your hard-drive

Then reinstall an OS of your choice.

It's a last-resort option, but it's probably good to keep it in mind.

-(e)EP

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 03:41:42 am »

I delete it to the recycle bin and then delete it there, but searching my computer for it shows me that its still there.
Waiwut? Did you UNINSTALL it properly before that? In case you did, nevermind me, but it sounds a if you didn't.

And in case you did, you probably just didn't properly remove the file associations.

So either reinstall to the same location and properly uninstall, and THEN delete everything that might get left behind or just go look up how to remove the according file associations.

And after you did all that... google "CCleaner".

This
Pages: [1] 2 3