Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Underground rivers, how do I make them useful?  (Read 1607 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: Underground rivers, how do I make them useful?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 03:42:35 pm »

That... is a brilliant idea.

It even carries with it the risk of deadly underground creatures dropping into the dining room and causing slaughter and mayhem.

Red mist, from red, bloody water!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 06:49:27 pm »

My underground river is the only water on the map, and it happens to be a vertical river.

There are maybe 12 tiles of moving water total before it plunges into the depths. It'll be a heck of a challenge tapping it for a water supply.

It's not really a vertical river. Underground rivers stretch more than 1 map square, like chasms.  Using the finder and specifying "underground river" amongst other features (HFS, chasm, etc) means it's very likely the finder will pick out a region containing only 1 square of underground river.  Which also makes the underground river very hard to find when you embark.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:17:34 pm by ZeroGravitas »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 07:16:05 pm »

I finally got DF to generate a map with everything I wanted on it (flux, magma, trees, underground river + river, and of course - super happy fun times), but something about the underground river is confusing me.  I used reveal to find the locations of everything and then reloaded DF - but from what I saw of the underground river it didn't seem like it could be mined out/used for anything.  Is it possible to divert the river so I can have it run through my underground fortress without flooding everything?  I want to be able to make new farms as well as start a tower-cap breeding ground, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the problem.  I have a guess though.  You have diverted water from above ground rivers using floodgates and the like, yes?  Same principle.  You don't mine out underground rivers.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 09:52:32 pm »

My underground river is the only water on the map, and it happens to be a vertical river.

There are maybe 12 tiles of moving water total before it plunges into the depths. It'll be a heck of a challenge tapping it for a water supply.

It's not really a vertical river. Underground rivers stretch more than 1 map square, like chasms.  Using the finder and specifying "underground river" amongst other features (HFS, chasm, etc) means it's very likely the finder will pick out a region containing only 1 square of underground river.  Which also makes the underground river very hard to find when you embark.

This one really is just plain vertical. It starts out mysteriously at one point, and the water travels a horizontal 10 or 12 tile distance, then disappears into the depths.

I used reveal to see it. Want to see the map? (warning, hfs on the map, don't poke around too much or you get spoilers)
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-11321-undergroundriver

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 09:56:22 pm »

Build your dining room centered around the waterfall on level 5 on that DFMA map. You can either completely mine out the walls of the waterfall, such that there is a sheer drop into oblivion with no safety rails, or you can be a pansy and leave the last line of rock there, smoothed and carved with fortifications so the mist can flow through.

I rather like the idea of having no safety rails. Its more dwarven that way!  ;D

It can also double as a dumping zone.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 11:08:50 pm »

Has anyone else noticed the transparency on the DFMA's 3D maps?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 02:16:56 am »

Has anyone else noticed the transparency on the DFMA's 3D maps?

I have. I've noticed if there's an open area below a solid stone layer somewhere, the area above the opening will be a different shade in DFMA.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 12:36:17 pm »

This one really is just plain vertical. It starts out mysteriously at one point, and the water travels a horizontal 10 or 12 tile distance, then disappears into the depths.

I used reveal to see it. Want to see the map? (warning, hfs on the map, don't poke around too much or you get spoilers)
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-11321-undergroundriver

Yeah, you got a one tile river. A decent find since it allows one to use a smaller map and still get both ends of the river.

You all aren't thinking big enough. Trade depot in the shaft the river falls into. Needs to be VERY carefully planned out, and you'll need lots of hatches, grates, doors, floodgates, mechanisms, floor tiles, bridges, and dwarves, but the end result is an easy to use trader drowner.

Last time I tried it, I had the very bottom z level covered in grates to pass the water, next level up was the depot with hatches on 3 sides to pass the water normally and start filling once the traders arrive, then another layer of grates one level below the river. If it weren't for the loss of the primary work material, dwarves, I would have had a nice super drowner that quickly filled a massive tube above the traders, and they would then drown. I was actually thinking of designating the top grates as a meeting zone so the dwarves would get to watch, but then I was reminded of dwarven stupidity regarding water.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 [2]