Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground rivers, how do I make them useful?  (Read 1608 times)

Ugoff007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground rivers, how do I make them useful?
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:14:03 pm »

I finally got DF to generate a map with everything I wanted on it (flux, magma, trees, underground river + river, and of course - super happy fun times), but something about the underground river is confusing me.  I used reveal to find the locations of everything and then reloaded DF - but from what I saw of the underground river it didn't seem like it could be mined out/used for anything.  Is it possible to divert the river so I can have it run through my underground fortress without flooding everything?  I want to be able to make new farms as well as start a tower-cap breeding ground, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Underground rivers, how do I make them useful?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:38:05 pm »

Breach the river, then flood a farm area with something other than that river. It doesn't matter what you flooded the underground square with, you just must have had breached an underground river sometime.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

qwertilliopasd

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopus?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:04:01 pm »

Yes, once you mine into the river and reveal it, it triggers underground plants to grow. Any underground soil or mud will then grow underground plants (ie plump helmets etc) and trees (towercaps).

Also, nice bug is that muddied stone floor areas that grow a plant will create a tile under them that is a random soil. This is a cheap nice way to get sand on a sandless map.
What does a hermit need coffins for?
The other six dwarves.  How do you think he got to be a hermit?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:59:40 pm »

Does that bug still work? I thought Toady fixed it when he fixed the dead tree leaves sand one...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

qwertilliopasd

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopus?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:43:49 am »

Does that bug still work? I thought Toady fixed it when he fixed the dead tree leaves sand one...

I used it in 40d. I am not positive about 40d#, though. In what version was that bug fixed?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:45:19 am »

38 something...

Well, guess not.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

qwertilliopasd

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopus?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 03:01:22 am »

Quote from: Reported Bugs
000993 □ [vegetation] (Report) tower caps can create soils like red sand underground when they grow up in the mud and are removed
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_bugs.html

Listed as open. I guess it is just Tower caps, not shrubs.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 05:49:41 am »

If you rig up a powered pump on the level that you want filled with water, and seal the area around it so *only* the pumped water will reach your water area, then that will work with no flooding. This is assuming you want an underground pseudoriver in addition to mud. Otherwise it may be overkill.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 06:18:18 am »

Going back to OP, I did this;

Code: [Select]
z 0                  z+1
*****|~~~|****   *****|~~~|****
-----|~~~|****   *****|~~~|****
|    F~~~|****   ----*|~~~|****
|^^  |~~~|****   |VV|-|W~~|****
-----|~~~|****   |%%===W~~|****
*****|~~~|****   |&&|-|W~~|****
*****|###|****   |XX|*|###|****
*****|###|****   |  |*|###|****
------XXX-----   |  |----------

Where * is unrevealed rock, - and | are walls, ~ is the river (or the top of it in z+1), # is a waterfall segment, X is a floodgate, F is a fortification, W is a waterwheel, = is an axle, %& is a pump, ^V are ramps and ... is the area to farm.

Thus you carve out the room on z 0 first, and then carve a fortification into it. You then build, floodgates, pumps etc and pump the water up into the tunnel and down into the carved out farm land. When you want to drain it, just close off the pumps and open the drainage gates into the waterfall/chasm bit.
This way you can flood and then drain the area with two simple levers.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 09:22:49 am »

More important:

How do I kill and cage evrything inside that goddamm hell river.

I am thinking about a "filter" system where the water gets sucked out, flows through 10+ weapon traps and gets pumped back in.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 01:02:27 pm »

I kill the river critters by drilling holes on the ceiling and parking my marksdwarfs around them, they will shoot everything underwater with no risk for themselves.

About one channel every 10 tiles does the trick.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 01:19:44 pm »

Marksdwarves, or just wait - most should eventually die, and they don't respawn.

More interesting would be to cage-trap breeding pairs of those critters that you can actually breed.  ;D

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 01:39:25 pm »

It's funny that the river animals hate the water after becoming pets.  I bought a Giant Toad from the elves, threw it in a underground lake and then after it killed all the frogmen and whatnot it ran for the one spot of dry ground and sat there.   Poor toad.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:44:47 pm »

My underground river is the only water on the map, and it happens to be a vertical river.

There are maybe 12 tiles of moving water total before it plunges into the depths. It'll be a heck of a challenge tapping it for a water supply.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 03:05:24 pm »

My underground river is the only water on the map, and it happens to be a vertical river.

There are maybe 12 tiles of moving water total before it plunges into the depths. It'll be a heck of a challenge tapping it for a water supply.

Build a dining room around the plunging shaft, and you have a natural, pre-made waterfall, complete with mist!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2