Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lever <-> Support failure?  (Read 571 times)

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lever <-> Support failure?
« on: February 15, 2009, 01:05:00 pm »

I had a lever attached to two supports.  Each support held up a pretty large chunk of rock.  I pulled the lever (twice) and one chunk fell down.  The other support stayed up.  I went over to the lever to confirmed it was connected to the support and it was.  I pulled the lever again (twice) and nothing happened.  This time when I checked it, it was no longer connected to the support.  I now have my dwarves reconnecting it.

Is there a problem with pulling a lever twice at a time, esp. when it is hooked to more than one thing?  Or is this some other known bug?

There happened to be a kobold under the rock that didn't fall at the time so I was bummed out about that. I don't suppose that had anything to do with it.

Update: It worked on the next attempt (after reconnecting the two).  I did not double-press the lever this time, though I doubt it mattered for this.  Maybe I'll leave the switches in the active position, and double press from there so it'll end on active.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:18:39 pm by Brian »

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Lever <-> Support failure?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 05:08:30 pm »

Any reason for pulling the lever twice?
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:10:38 pm »

Is it possible to have one lever hooked up to two different objects?
Is it possible to have two different levers hooked up to one object?
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Cultiststeve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:56:15 pm »

dont think 2 leavers will link to one object. If you try it the first gets unlinked.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 06:01:47 pm »

dont think 2 leavers will link to one object. If you try it the first gets unlinked.
That's not true.
I have a fort with a number of guard towers along a wall with access by drawbridge. Each drawbridge is linked both from a lever in the tower, and from a master lever in the main part of the fort that can be used to open or close every tower at once.
Works fine.
Note that this example also includes one lever that is linked to several objects.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:52:54 pm »

Also, to answer the first question it's possible to link limitless objects to one lever. It's just not always a great idea.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme