Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new race, the guardian  (Read 668 times)

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
new race, the guardian
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:11:09 pm »

I've used them as a replacement to dwarves in my game (Not gonna share the entity one yet cuz i'm unsure what adding dwarves back in when these guys are a mountain race would do)

They are strong, do not have any fear, bigger than your average human, dutiful dangerous, they are to be considered deadly foes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tell me what you guys think/what should I add (i tried to mess with temperature so they freeze their surroundings but i couldn't get it to work...)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Re: new race, the guardian
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:16:57 pm »

What do they look like?

Can you give us some concept so I don't have to reach in to the abysmal hellish void that is my imagination?
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:21:03 pm »

*grins* sure

okay there taller than your average human, say around 6 ft being a very small one, 7 ft being average, unaturally bulky, their eyes have a peircing slight glow, mostly blue, though they do range into green and brown rarely. They have many hair styles, prefer to wear heavy armour decorated with the skulls of their kills.

I'm trying to work out a way to make them at war constantly with other races at the moment. They have no fear in battle, and fight to the death, even an unskilled one being able to cause quite a bit of damage... though their numbers arn't high.

If you know what the space marines are like out of warhammer 40 K? imagine that but stick them in medieval style armour/clothing. 

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:33:28 pm »

As if DF wasn't easy enough.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:37:49 pm »

*shrugs*

i only replaced them as dwarves since i'm not great at modding yet, if you made them into the equivalent of say goblins...

(would be glad if people told me how to :P)

edit- just replaced them with goblins, is rather funny to watch my dwarves get torn apart... wonder if its possible to make them constant raiders from the start...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:32:55 pm by Tigershark13 »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:11:37 am »

Couple things:
1) There should be no capital letters involved within strings (name, prefstring, etc) at all.  None.
2)
[PREFSTRING:Terrifying Power]
        [PREFSTRING:Peircing Eyes]
Why is the second one indented?
And um, you need to spell things correctly...
Use a dictionary if you have to.  "Peircing"? Piercing
Quote from: Tigershark13
DF itself is a game of experimentation.  If you're afraid to do so with its simple text-based game data, what kind of dwarf are you?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:16:05 am by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 01:55:32 pm »

i only replaced them as dwarves since i'm not great at modding yet, if you made them into the equivalent of say goblins...

Only one way to get better, and that is to practice. If you wanna turn them into constant raiders, you might take a look at rysiths orcs entity file. Then if you wanna keep learning, you might compare it to the goblin entity file, see what is the same, what is different, start reading about the various tokens on the wiki http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Category:Tokens

Happy modding.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 02:40:20 pm »

ty for the pointers you two *grins* i've decided to make something called demonkin... kinda based of the orcs but meaner, when i get it done properly i'll share it :D