Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Future weapons  (Read 3426 times)

Reyyvo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Future weapons
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:15:53 pm »

So in the future, maces will do damage because theyre heavy and swords because they have edges.... but what about when a sword hits an armor item?
will that be accounted for as a force, like because the impact of an equally heavy sword and mace hitting an object will be the same for blunt damage, except for the stress it will put on the sword... so is toady going to do that or just keep it simple?

it almost seems as if it should be that way, except like he would need to code-in the force mechanics so that all of this can be properly represented and not end up way unbalanced. this would work great for balancing arrows and bolts too.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:35:32 pm »

It's a good idea except that it's basically impossible to simulate. It requires knowledge of not only the mechanical properties of the weapon and armor, but the arm holding the weapon, the spine supporting the arm, all the anatomy under the armor...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:36:32 pm »

XXIron SwordXX

Sounds good.  Makes you need to keep making fresh batches of weapons.

EDIT:  It would be neat if iron weapons would rust, makes you want to have steel even more.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:38:15 pm by ToonyMan »

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:36:13 am »

It would be neat if iron weapons would rust, makes you want to have steel even more.

Kinda screws humans and goblins though, doesn't it? If it only happened if your sword got wet or bloody, it wouldn't be so bad, as weapons would only get destroyed in damp areas or if they got used.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 02:29:45 am »

Well as long i can maintain my weapon with oil and an stone for sharpening it, i have nothing gainst rust on weapons.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 02:32:26 am »

Actually the kind of steel used to craft combat-grade weapons is high-carbon steel. And it rusts very easily, which is why trained swordspersons always clean and oil their blades. Stainless steel is inferior to an extreme degree, except in that it does not rust as easily. It does not hold an edge well, bends easily and does not flex and return to its normal shape, and breaks easily.

...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 03:28:28 am »

With regards to OP, maybe make weapons have a bludgeon rating given by something like

User strength * weapon mass / impact area, where impact area is something hardcoded to the weapon (e.g. a hammer has a smaller impact area than a sword, and hence does more bludgeoning dammage for the same mass). Of course, this falls apart for picks, and spears, which wouldn't deal bludgeoning damage but rather piercing.
Hmm, maybe code in multiple impact areas, so say a pick could have a large are, representing hitting with the flat of the pick, and a tiny area to represent the tip, with multiple attacks flipping through 'em. Course, Toady probs has everything planned to a T, so this is all daydreaming.

With regards to the rusting thing, maybe just have a generic "Maintain Equipment" task, which they perform when off duty. Hence, an additional danger to leaving squads on duty for long periods of time is not just a moral hit, but also degraded weapons. This wouldn't be so bad in a dry desert, but in a damp swamp were bowstrings sag, wood rots and leathers mould, it'd be horrid.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:39:37 am »

on other side - having rust in wound is nasty
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 03:42:23 am »

I'm pretty sure there's been some mention of weapons transferring to blunt damage on armor strikes.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 04:25:32 am »

Yes toady had an long post on how the new Armor and layeringsystem works on one of the Fotf threads. I post it if i can find it.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 07:54:30 am »

I'd like some kind of setting where you can for example try to break through armor with a sword by using both hands and just forcing it through instead of a normal slash.
This is -ing good wood!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 08:26:08 am »

Blunt damage from deflected sharp weapons is going in.  He's already working on balancing it.

So we'll also have armor acting like a pseudo tissue layer for purposes of transmitting bludgeoning damage and so forth?
If an iron sword strikes some steel plate armour and fails to penetrate it, and the damage is converted to bludgeoning (AKA the force of the blow is spread out over the plate), will bludgeoning damage be inflicted to the creature beneath the armour?
Additionally, if we're talking about a steel-skinned creature (Giant Magma Ants?) instead of a steel-armoured creature, is the force transfer handled differently?

Yeah, that's basically how it works.  The armor is all checked in order from outer to inner, then it gets at the tissue layers, altering the character of the attack as it goes.  There's a little left to do there, so it's not completely clear to me which way it'll go as far as how much force is transferred (or if it matters if it's skin or armor -- it doesn't currently, though yeah, there is a difference in real life).  It has to be enough that skin doesn't stop bones from being broken, but not so much that armor is useless against impacts, depending on the mats and nature of the armor/clothing.

Also, damage to the weapons themselves is currently marked as a possibility for the next release.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 08:31:30 am »

Actually, a sharp enough sword could have a chance of piercing the armor, whereas a mace would only dent it (granted it could make a very deep dent).  This is kind of why material matters, and why swords needed to be so sharp.  With a mlidly sharp edge, it takes only a pound of pressure to cut human flesh.  But metal armor . . . it needs to be sharp to cut through that.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 03:11:52 pm »

Eh, I always figured that swords just wouldn't cut through plate, period, and instead with an edged/slashing weapon you either swung to break a limb with high PSI or aimed for somewhere more vulnerable?  Swords are great against peasants and lightly armored critters.  If you NEED to penetrate plate armor, you use a stabbing weapon (and aim for a vulnerable spot), or you use a blunt weapon.  Might be wrong...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 03:13:43 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5