Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Human Town  (Read 541 times)

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
Human Town
« on: February 11, 2009, 06:27:57 pm »

hi this question probably has a really simple answer but i just can't see it.
I'm trying to build a human town for fun but i can't add a second layer to my buildings. All i have is a wall surronding the workshop, can anyone tell me how to build up a level?

thanks in advance

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
Re: Human Town
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:31:42 pm »

Build some scaffolding. I recommend a ramp placed against the side of the building, for quick construction and deconstruction, but stairs will work just as well if you have the patience.

Also, keep in mind that human towns tend to be very resource intensive. You're best off keeping buildings as small as possible. Don't use floors if you don't have to.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 06:37:02 pm »

Be sure to know how ramps work, as they help incredibly.

Use bridges for the roofs of buildings you do not want to add furniture onto, as they use less resources at the cost of not allowing anything to be built on them.

Be sure to utilize any and all opportunity to make a basement. If you do things right every storage stockpile could be underground.

Remember, down stair can be build above up stairs, but not the other way around.

Dwarves/humans can walk on constructed ramps over open space.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:38:57 pm »

cheers mate works perfectl. And yeah i realise that huge amounts of wood are going to be needed but then thats why i'm in a heavily wooded area, that and i wanted a change from just mining out my fort. And thanks for the advice all as this is my first human town so its much appreicated.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 06:44:48 pm »

You know, it really isn't too much to have stone houses. Even human keeps are made with stone.

My personal human challenges mainly use stone for construction, and wood for everything else.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bob Kelso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 10:30:22 pm »

I find it interesting that the humans in a fortress don't start out alcoholic, but rapidly become that way. I even built a well a couple years in but nobody uses it.