Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reveal with v 40d9  (Read 4655 times)

Vorg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Reveal with v 40d9
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »

Is there a version of reveal that works with 40d9 that doesn't require that net frame crap?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal with v 40d9
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:47:12 pm »

Not yet.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:44:54 am »

Is there a version of reveal that works with 40d9 that doesn't require that net frame crap?
Probably never.  As far as I know, since no game addresses have changed, Tweak (the only thing still updated that has Reveal, AFAIK) still works, but of course, requires .net.
Seriously, the .Net framework is a painless installation, unless you've pirated your OS.
Or if you're running an utterly ANCIENT OS, or Mac/Linux. (I don't know if it works for Mac or Linux for sure..  it might)
Not at all like Python.  That thing is impossible to install correctly unless you really know what you're doing. (or someone made a one-click installer...)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:50:01 pm »

Actually jaybud, there is something keeping reveal from working with 40d#.  I have tweak for 40d, but it won't work with 40d8 or 9.  I'm not very computer handy, though, so I can't really tell what it is or how to fix it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 12:50:23 pm »

I will not be finding addresses for any of the 0.28.181.40d#.  I will be finding the addresses for the next major release.  If you want to use any of the utilities with the 0.28.181.40d# versions, you will have to find the addresses yourself.

Porting any recent addresses to the old reveal is easy, but you must have a copy of reveal+memory.ini in the first place.

Also, jaybud4, Python installation is simple if you use the ActivePython installer.  However, running Dwarf Companion isn't that easy, because it requires glade and glade installtion isn't easy - even I haven't figured it out.  I hate the gtk anyway so it doesn't really bother me.

Vorg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 05:31:09 pm »

I copied the map and saves to the 40d version, ran reveal and then copied the files back. That seems to work, for now.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 05:51:24 pm »

What you can do is have the older version of dwarf fortress and load your new fort from the new version onto there and reaveal the map.
Then export the map or just memorize areas of intrest such as rivers and magma and discover them in the newer version wich has an identical fort.
This way allows scripts to still work (Tower caps/HFS/etc)
I copied the map and saves to the 40d version, ran reveal and then copied the files back. That seems to work, for now.
This way does not.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:55:48 pm »

I got Reveal working for .40d9 and .40d11.  They're on the DFFD.

I had to hexedit the binary to get things working.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 09:34:03 am »

I got Reveal working for .40d9 and .40d11.  They're on the DFFD.

I had to hexedit the binary to get things working.

This fails with an error:

Code: [Select]
An error has occured:
  this version of DFLib was not built for that Dwarf Fortress version, but v0.27
.169.33d

Edit: I really should use the preview button before posting.

Using 40D11 and the same version of the tool from the link.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:43:49 am by spokehedz »
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:33:27 pm »

Sounds like reveal can't find the memory.ini file for v40d11.

This is most likely caused by running reveal with a different path.  Reveal is not smart enough to look in its own directory, it uses the current directory.

If you run reveal from the Windows Desktop, run it by opening the folder that it is in, and double-clicking it.

If you run reveal from a shortcut, make sure the Start In path is the same as the path to reveal.exe .

Or, if command-line, just cd to reveal's directory before running it.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:14:16 pm »

Still erroring when run from cmd as an administrator. I tried with the file in the DF directory, with the exe renamed to 'dwarfort' and with the file in its own separate directory.

My computer is broken. XD
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 06:55:44 pm »

Okay, now I'm thinking you've got the wrong version of reveal.  The wrong version of memory.ini that is. 
That's another way to get that error.

Double-check what version number DF shows you at the menu screen.  Compare the last part of the version with the number at the top of the memory.ini file.

Is your operating system Vista?  And do you have reveal.exe somewhere under the Program Files directory?  If both of those are true, Vista's file remapping could be getting in the way.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 07:47:56 pm »

I have Vista and I saved DFReveal under its own file in the C:\ directory and it works fine for me. Just saying.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 02:07:44 pm »

The file I have contains this:

Code: [Select]
;.40d11
[generic]
DWARF_FORTRESS=0x008F2298

[address]
CREATURE_VECTOR=0x0151B364
MOUSE_X=0x009652A4
MOUSE_Y=0x009652A8
MOUSE_Z=0x009652AC
MAP_DATA=0x0155F248
MAP_X_COUNT=0x0155F268
MAP_Y_COUNT=0x0155F26C
MAP_Z_COUNT=0x0155F270

[offset]
MAP_DATA_DESIGNATION_OFFSET=0x0284

And the file is in a directory off the root of the usb stick I have it on.

I am running Vista, and I have also tried it in Windows7 RC and it gives me the same error.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:09:38 pm by spokehedz »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 04:42:41 pm »

I just realized what it is.  Vista has something called address randomization.  It's a security thing, to make attacks harder.  I assume Windows 7 has it as well, though I don't know that for sure.

Unfortunately, the way reveal is written, it assumes fixed addresses.  I know how to get around this, but I can't fix reveal because the author chose not to release the source code, and he hasn't been active in the DF community for a year or so.

Try this: right-click on the dwarf fortress executable, choose Properties.  choose the Compatibility tab.  Click the run in compatibility mode checkbox to enable it.  Choose XP service pack 2 from the list.  Apply the change.

Then run dwarf fortress and run reveal.  It it doesn't work, undo your change by clearing the checkbox.
Pages: [1] 2