Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Invasionations  (Read 1197 times)

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invasionations
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:47:24 pm »

So I've reached a nice population of 89 and have yet to have a single invasion could this be because my wealth isn't high enough, or because there are no nearby goblins? Or simply cause I'm not patient enough?
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invasionations
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:16:09 pm »

If you had Goblin ambushes, there are some nearby. They might need some time to prepare...

Do you have a Baron already ?
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:17:39 pm »

no and no ambushes either
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 06:33:56 pm »

When choosing your embark location, do you remember if your neighbors included "Goblins" with a red "---" next to them?  (The red dashes mean you're at war.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:45:40 pm »

no it didn't this is why it says i have no goblin neighbours does that mean no invasions?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 06:48:13 pm »

No goblin neighbors?  I'm afraid that you have chosen a nice safe location for your fort, where it is entirely unthreatenable by goblins!  That's right, you'll never see a single goblin there.  :(
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:58:52 pm »

well that sucks

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 07:33:42 pm »

You could still try to piss off the Humans (by killing trade representatives, diplomates, cravans) or the Elves (by happy tree chopping) enought to attack you...

Also, i believe i have read somewhere, that letting many Kobold thievs escape (with stolen goods) will make the Kobolds attack you (presumably because you are rich enought to make it worthwile).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 07:36:29 pm by Refar »
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »

Also, i believe i have read somewhere, that letting many Kobold thieves escape (with stolen goods) will make the Kobolds attack you (presumably because you are rich enough to make it worthwhile).

I've seen this happen.  Let Kobolds get enough stuff, and they will send attackers - ambush parties, as I recall.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Bob Kelso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 09:11:04 pm »

I've a relevant question. Firing a ballista into the depot while the traders are there doesn't seem to kill them - do I have to fire into them while they're approaching or leaving? I'm sick of killing unicorns and giant toads goddamn

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:01:10 pm »

It seems fairly easy to convince the humans to attack you. The human trade liason just toppled over day one day for no apparent reason, and a few seasons later the humans sent a siege. Tons of bowmen... much more dangerous than the single pathetic goblin siege I had gotten so far on that map.

So, I recommend trapping and killing the human liason.

Orange Drink

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 01:47:56 am »

on the subject of killing traders, i made my dwarves eat bones because i have really lazy bone carvers. once there was a sizable goblin siege, whilst some human traders were there. the human caravan guards rushed out to meet the foe, but were quickly cut down.
after the siege had lifted, my dwarves walked out, vomited a bit, picked up the poor traders bones, and went to the dining table to eat them.
this appeared to have pissed the humans off pretty bad, and sent a siege. it didn't do anything, besides having to make my champions exert themselves a tiny bit more from sidestepping all the bolts.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 02:31:26 am »

No goblin neighbors?  I'm afraid that you have chosen a nice safe location for your fort, where it is entirely unthreatenable by goblins!  That's right, you'll never see a single goblin there.  :(
No! There is a slim chance of this happening, but, Entity Civ Migration... as time passes, things change ( refer to a topic about map change ) and maybe you'll be lucky enough to be able to have a Civ move/Change enough to allow for combat.
And for kobold, easy, just make a small easily accessible room ( has open, and unforbidden doors ) , that is filled with trinket for those dicks.
Traders, hold hostage the caravan, and Liaison as prisoner, and make sure they can't talk to any nobles/traders you have, and after they goes berserk, set them free and then kill them the next time you repeat the proccess, the next time they come.

Kill = Demerit
Make really Sad then killing it after treating it in the same way again = Super Demerit
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:39:07 am by Foa »

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 08:00:24 am »

Also, i believe i have read somewhere, that letting many Kobold thieves escape (with stolen goods) will make the Kobolds attack you (presumably because you are rich enough to make it worthwhile).

I've seen this happen.  Let Kobolds get enough stuff, and they will send attackers - ambush parties, as I recall.

They wiped out one of my early forts, mainly because of 'Hah! Kobolds! CHARGE!!!!!....'

'S**t, bowbolds.'
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 06:10:29 pm »

When choosing your embark location, do you remember if your neighbors included "Goblins" with a red "---" next to them?  (The red dashes mean you're at war.)
The red dashes mean hostility.
There's a big ol' red WAR when you're at war.
The difference is clear:
Hostility is just, well, hostility.
Whereas wars get legends entries.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: [1] 2