Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time Scale changing  (Read 582 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Time Scale changing
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:55 am »

I'm trying to make a convincing Generational fort without sacrificing, um, decades of my life. So, I gave Dwarves and goblins shorter lifespans, and then I divided all the lifespans and child-ages in Creatures_standard by 4, bringing the maximum age for Dwarves down to 25-30 "years", with each season being the lifespan-equivalent of a year.

But now a dog will live almost as long as a Dwarf! So I went through common_domestic and /4 all the ages, so things are ok. This still leaves a large number of biome-based creatures, but that's not a big deal for me. I'm wondering if there's interest in making a finished version; anybody else want fast-aging dwarves?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Time Scale changing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:39:53 am »

Don't you have problems with world gen if you shorten lifespan? I remember I created a creature once that was supposed to breed like crazy but have a short lifespan, and the problem was that because it only lived 30 years almost every one would die before giving birth. It was only until I raised the minimum lifespan to 35 that it actually started to work.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:13:00 am »

Modding it in after world gen should be fine though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:08:04 pm »

World gen seems to work fine. 300 years = 1200 "years".
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.