Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: mkv25.net being blocked at work?  (Read 1589 times)

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mkv25.net being blocked at work?
« on: February 03, 2009, 04:23:33 pm »

Notification codes:    (1, MALWARE_GENERAL, BLOCK-MALWARE, , 0x009c08f2, 1233695221.134, AAAASwAAAAAAAAAAFP8ACP8AAAA=, http://www.mkv25.net/dfma)

Any ideas? It pains me to not be able to visit my beloved DFMA while at work :(

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: mkv25.net being blocked at work?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 05:31:58 pm »

Ask whoever runs the firewall to unblock it?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:08:15 pm »

Ask whoever runs the firewall to unblock it?
Didn't work at school.

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 07:38:09 pm »

Yeah I asked them to but they said the site was hosting malware recently and that it'll be unblocked as soon as the site stops hosting malware... I don't think DFMA is hosting any malware though which is why I'm confused.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:47:49 pm »

Yeah I asked them to but they said the site was hosting malware recently and that it'll be unblocked as soon as the site stops hosting malware... I don't think DFMA is hosting any malware though which is why I'm confused.
Possibly a hacker? And who told you this? he/she/it may just be reciting what the computer told them, and we all know never to trust computers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 07:57:11 pm »

Try visiting it through a translator site like Babelfish or through Google cache possibly? 
You have struck Microcline!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:34:11 pm »

Try visiting it through a translator site like Babelfish or through Google cache possibly? 
Or try this:
www.proxify.com
It's worth a shot.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:27:04 pm »

Hah, thanks jaybud, works like a charm! :)

Edit: Ok, so I think it's exactly what I suspected. My work's firewall is suspecting the image viewer/movie player as the source of the malware. So now, even though I can visit the website, I can't see maps or movies, just the comments. :/ GAH!

Also google cache/translate doesn't work as well. I'm pretty sure I'm just screwed. Time to make a mandate to IT!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:37:05 pm by juice »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:10:03 pm »

What does your computer think... that looking at pictures will give you a virus?

Im sure this, in some way or another, has to do with SECURom.
Damn you SECURom....

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:27:46 am »

Well, it could be worse. They could have done what google did.

For a while, every web address containing the character "/" was marked as a malicious website. In case it isn't obvious: this resulted in the entire internet being marked as malicious by google.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 07:32:35 am »

Hah, thanks jaybud, works like a charm! :)

Edit: Ok, so I think it's exactly what I suspected. My work's firewall is suspecting the image viewer/movie player as the source of the malware. So now, even though I can visit the website, I can't see maps or movies, just the comments. :/ GAH!

Also google cache/translate doesn't work as well. I'm pretty sure I'm just screwed. Time to make a mandate to IT!

Huh...why don't you buy a small laptop and use a wireless net connection? Voila: Problem solved.  ;)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 11:15:42 am »

Well, it could be worse. They could have done what google did.

For a while, every web address containing the character "/" was marked as a malicious website. In case it isn't obvious: this resulted in the entire internet being marked as malicious by google.

Well I'd think the site was malicious if it had a weapon in it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 05:46:34 pm »

Huh...why don't you buy a small laptop and use a wireless net connection? Voila: Problem solved.  ;)
My bet is that his work place's wifi network is connected to the same firewall as their wired stuff.
Course, he could attempt to steal some surrounding place's network.  But there might not be any other wiifi networks nearby, they might be just as restricted, or one/multiple of many other problems with that approach.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 01:11:54 am »

My bet is that his work place's wifi network is connected to the same firewall as their wired stuff.
Course, he could attempt to steal some surrounding place's network.  But there might not be any other wiifi networks nearby, they might be just as restricted, or one/multiple of many other problems with that approach.
Or he could get one of those wireless cards sold by cell phone companies and have Internet wherever he gets service.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 01:15:54 am »

Or he could get one of those wireless cards sold by cell phone companies and have Internet wherever he gets service.

Or he could quit his job and find a new one that lets him browse the dfma.
Pages: [1] 2