Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you view female dwarves as having beards?

Yes.
- 131 (51.2%)
No.
- 96 (37.5%)
I don't view either gender as having facial hair.
- 2 (0.8%)
What the hell is a dwarve?
- 11 (4.3%)
I think Toady said something about this one time, and I'm too spineless to make a wrong guess that might contradict DF canon.
- 16 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 256

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?  (Read 16856 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2009, 05:05:38 am »

I never meant to turn this into an argument, but it is my fault for my need to defend my reasoning if it is called into question. I hope you understand?

Well, yes...  I'm taking this a bit too seriously myself, but there wasn't any 'reasoning' there being defended.  You just dropped in and said, "I think dwarven women having beards is a gimmick, now somebody prove me wrong."
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2009, 05:10:32 am »

I never meant to turn this into an argument, but it is my fault for my need to defend my reasoning if it is called into question. I hope you understand?

Well, yes...  I'm taking this a bit too seriously myself, but there wasn't any 'reasoning' there being defended.  You just dropped in and said, "I think dwarven women having beards is a gimmick, now somebody prove me wrong."

I suppose I did didn't I? Ah well, what's done is done and I've said my peice. I'm not going to drag this on any further, because it always annoyed me when I read long-winded arguments about nothing in threads. Perhaps we should all just calm down and stop taking this game so seriously.

Who wants an ale? Bearded women optional.  ;D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2009, 05:14:02 am »

Plump helmet wine all around!

Thinking about what a contentious issue it is though, I do worry about things like succession games and worldgen advice, since as I mentioned, just having the one tag be different can be enough to cause save compatibility problems and seed result differences.

I suspect we'll need an article "On The Facial Hair Etiquette of Dwarven Women", where it will be required in any such thread to preface whether you've toggled this one all-important tag on.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2009, 05:37:36 am »

does it really make that large a difference to the PHYSICAL world? or just to the distribution of GOOD/EVIL and CIVs and such.

Because if so, then you're right, someone needs to be setting up a shorthand ( "ettiquette" is as good a word as any) format for divulging such things whenever a seed is shared or a succession game takes place.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2009, 08:36:13 am »

And that is why this is not a suggestion thread. I can wax poetical about the beautiful braids of dwarven wimmins if I want, without it needing to be a call for it to be canonized, yes?
Had you read the posts leading up to that one, you would have seen that he said that the majority favored bearded women. I asked him what his point was. He said that his point was that they should have beards. I told him that the majority's opinion didn't really matter as far as vanilla DF is concerned.

Zeful

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2009, 09:10:19 am »

D&D?  My brother has played D&D.  He's also read Pratchett.  Guess which image he prefers? 

Always bearded.  Pratchett beats D&D, because D&D doesn't satirize D&D players.  Pratchett does (maybe not specifically, but hints at it).

BEARDS ARE MIGHT!
You may think so, and are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Baldin Brewbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2009, 09:23:54 am »

I picture them without beards.

Which is quite unfortunate as I'm very attracted to bearded women.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2009, 09:28:19 am »

We could always refer to beardless as vanilla and bearded as fixed.

"Yeah, just got this stupidly awesome embark. The river cuts into the magma pipe and makes it slowly flood the world! Here is the seed, and I'm using the fixed version..."

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Zeful

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2009, 09:29:58 am »

We could always refer to beardless as vanilla and bearded as fixed.

"Yeah, just got this stupidly awesome embark. The river cuts into the magma pipe and makes it slowly flood the world! Here is the seed, and I'm using the fixed version..."
And you don't think that's an insult to the designer?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:28 am »

I would think 'bearded' and beardless' would work perfectly fine.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2009, 10:17:39 am »

Didn't Toady already determine that female dwarves won't have beards?  I mean, in those new raws he posted it specifically showed female dwarves as having the beard growth information commented out.  So that even newbie modders could easily add them if they wanted but in unmodded they would not have them.

So I think it would probably be best to assume female beards are off unless stated otherwise. 

And I most certainly wouldn't call it "fixed".  He made it easy for anyone to change it to how they like.  If people start going around calling it broken or fixed he may just hardcode it next time.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:28:08 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2009, 10:50:36 am »

Eh. Just continued the naming trend of other popular miniature things. Bearded and beardless would likely work better.

Also, fireball damage has been worked on. theories?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2009, 11:36:21 am »

Silly me, I had forgotten to vote.

So that's a Yes from me.

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2009, 12:07:41 pm »

I've always preferred more humanlike dwarves (and elves, and goblins).  So, no bearded women for me.

It can be sort of cool to imagine a species with blue rock skin, fungus growing in a beard-shaped pattern, which reproduce by way of spores and communicate by telepathy or whatever, but crazy physiological differences just distract you from the crazy sociological differences, and those are the more interesting ones.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2009, 01:29:58 pm »

I still maintain YOU ALL HAVE IT WRONG!

Female dwarves are frekish albinos. With Glowing red eyes and not a drop of hair! Not even on their naughty bits.

See, the majority exists for the bearded females because the truth isn't there. The polls are rigged to get a desired result. If I set them up, you can be sure the "bearded dwarves" wouldn't have the most votes.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15