Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your training regimen  (Read 3646 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your training regimen
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:48:46 pm »

what do you guys do to train your adventurers? i would also like to know what skill you need to have deadly results with throwing.
im looking for the fastest way to get to legendary in at least one skill.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Your training regimen
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:12:17 pm »

"You too can become a legendary swimmer by just sleeping! If you dont become legendary within 3 weeks, your money back!"
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:19:50 pm »

For combat, I wander around in evil forests using [T].  Not the really nasty ones, but the ones with werewolves and foul blendecs.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:13:40 pm »

The fastest way to get legendary in at least one skill:

1. Mod in a creature with a large number of hands.
2. Start an adventurer with some skill in Shield, and the weapon of your choice.
3. Find a group of relatively harmless enemies.
4. Set your default attack to grappling, and lie down in their midst.
5. Wait briefly.
6. Congratulations!  You are now a legendary shield user.

For lethal throwing, practice throwing.  You can do this by finding a patch of pebbles on the ground and tossing them about, though this isn't much fun.

I generally do a lot of sneaking, and travel through evil landscapes to hunt monsters.  Strangling sleeping enemies is a good way to train wrestling quickly; strangling unconscious megabeasts is even better, because it takes them a while to bleed to death.  Never use a weapon on someone unconscious, as this will provide no experience at all.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:23:19 pm »

1. Also, start with some shield usage
2. find a weak skeletal/zombie whatever
3. strangle it until you start to become overexerted
4. run away, then repeat.

This will get you to a legendary wrestler easily, since undead can't be strangled to death.

This will boost your primary stats and your dodging abilities.

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:11:14 pm »

Sell some stuff for coins, (200 or 300 is good) and throw them all. Once you trow about 600 coins you will be legendary and you can then use your coins to break multiple bones with a SINGLE coin. Corpses are also good weapons, espcially when you break a spine.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:21:12 pm »

Sell some stuff for coins, (200 or 300 is good) and throw them all. Once you trow about 600 coins you will be legendary and you can then use your coins to break multiple bones with a SINGLE coin. Corpses are also good weapons, espcially when you break a spine.

Has anyone else read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series? Breaking bones by coin throwing always reminds me of those books.

I think that the easiest skills to become legendary in are swimming and sneaking. Just find a pond in a warm area, set yourself to sneaking, get a book or put a dvd in, and press the back and forth arrows for the next half hour or so.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:02:39 pm »

Has anyone else read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series? Breaking bones by coin throwing always reminds me of those books.

Urist McMistborn Steelpushes the 'Stod Gablebanner 431' silver coin into the macegoblin's torso!
It explodes in gore!

It was a pretty good series.  Well-written, decent characters, and an interesting overarching plot.  The main problem was that some of the tools used to reveal that plot were a little clumsy, and that one sort of lost interest in some characters because others with similar or better abilities diluted their specialty.  The magic systems were very interesting and the fact that they revolve around metals is quite dwarfy.  Pretty pulpy fantasy, though.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 03:31:36 pm »

Yeah, that's a fair summary. A fun read, not too deep, but great for the school year when my brain just doesn't want to deal with anything too deep. And, hey, with a cool magic system and interesting characters, it's already better than Harry Potter.

Spoilered for off topic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 05:52:32 pm »

I think that the easiest skills to become legendary in are swimming and sneaking. Just find a pond in a warm area, set yourself to sneaking, get a book or put a dvd in, and press the back and forth arrows for the next half hour or so.
That's the guy that's finishing the Wheel of Time series, right?  I really need to pick up one of his books.  On that note, I really need to get cracking on reading the Wheel of Time series.  I've read a few of them, but it's been awhile.

More on topic, I think every good method of training has been mentioned by now.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 07:07:28 pm »

i mentioned this because i wanted to make a ninja dwarf. he would only throw things while in stealth as a method of attack and use a sword in close combat.
it shall be epic.
EDIT: and doesnt getting up to legendary in a skill give a stat bonus?
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 07:27:06 pm »

er,  :-[ I cheat.

I take my dwarf's favourite weapon, and change the skill it uses in the raws.
Then I hunt wolves. Or elf peasants.
Once I've leveled up that skill, I change  it again.
My Human Broker/Assassin has Legendary Intimidation!

I want to know what the TRACKING skill is intende for.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 07:56:09 pm »

EDIT: and doesnt getting up to legendary in a skill give a stat bonus?

Just in that getting to legendary involves gaining a great deal of experience, I believe.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 04:07:22 pm »

How do I train my adventuerers? I don't. Let em' sort things out for themselves without any of this "education" or "basic survival skills" or "proper weapon usage" nonsense.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 11:00:01 pm »

I train up swimming and throwing to legendary, its not that hard. Its time consuming, but worth it after all is said and done. You are much more likely to survive. (Be sure to swim in a warm climate)

Now that you are a legendary swimmer and hopefully armored fairly well, go swimming in a river with carp (Not skeletal, make sure you can leave them in the water). You should be fast enough to catch up and slaughter them. If you get mortally wounded get out of the water, move away far enough to travel and insta-heal. It's unfortunate if you lose an eye or they tear out your throat. But I think you still heal up to stable if you travel. =) Worst case scenario is an instakill hit, but with periodic backup saves you don't really have to worry, is it cheating? Maybe, but I don't like spending hours training only to die while training.

The carp will level your armor fairly quickly, and it will also level your current melee weapon fairly quickly.  I find this a therapeutic training for those who have ever had carp cripple a fortress.

After you feel you are ready to face them, sack a town or two, face up against a few hydras, whatever you were working towards during all that training.

Edit:
Or if push comes to shove and you want a sudden monster of a dwarf, you can cheat and use dwarf companion.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!
Pages: [1] 2