Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638078 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10740 on: January 20, 2010, 11:06:37 pm »

True, smjjames, but I'm assuming here that the objection has something to do with their size as well perhaps their level of technology?
For they would be your masters.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: January 20, 2010, 11:09:26 pm »

*monocle flies off* I say! We can throw sand as well as any of you...you... "U"s!

c'n steal your weapons too.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: January 20, 2010, 11:16:52 pm »

Not really, I was thinking of it bieng more of a cultural thing.

It can also have to do with size since they are smaller than dwarves.

As for level of technology, I don't dispute that since pygmies would be using stone or bone tipped spears and a copper spear could certainly be just as effective and I've seen kobold spearmasters in a kobold civ member list.

I'm sure they can take down an elephant if they really wanted to and have an advantage with their ambush abilities, they simply don't seem to be the kind of culture that goes after big game very often, if they do.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: January 20, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »

You know you've amongst DF fans when one starts RPing as (or perhaps legitimately believes that he is, or perhaps legitimately is) a kobold.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: January 20, 2010, 11:21:55 pm »

*eyeroll* "[FAILS_AT_HUMOUR]"

Anyway, kobolds seem to be better at stealth. This is also somewhat important in hunting, I hear.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: January 20, 2010, 11:28:29 pm »

Heh, now I really wonder how kobolds will interact with the new cavern system and later the cultural stuff.....

Since the new animalmen tribes will have items, I wonder if Toady has already anticipated possible issues (or non-issues) involving kobolds stripping animalmen tribes of weapons, etc.

Even if kobolds are better at stealth, its still all too easy to stop them with a three tile hallway and a chained pair (or more) of animal of your choice
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:30:59 pm by smjjames »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: January 20, 2010, 11:31:21 pm »

If I were a kobold, instead of a badger, mammoths and other big game would be the first things I'm going for. Those big critters are on the lookout for lions, not some scrawny little rat lizard guy, and once we bagged one, that's food for a month or more.
For they would be your masters.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: January 20, 2010, 11:32:18 pm »

I am 99% sure mammoths do not have 3-tile corridors w/ chained animals.
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: January 20, 2010, 11:36:53 pm »

Just watch out for any lions though :) hehehheh

Especially my trained Giant War Lions that patrol the entrance to the fortress I am the mayor of. :)

Not to mention the war cave crocs and the GCS sacrificial pit.......

Which.... gives me a possible idea for my current fort (which doesn't actually have giant lions, let alone giant war lions)...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:43:33 pm by smjjames »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: January 21, 2010, 12:15:07 am »

Perhaps kobolds could build giant towers of junk. Constructed from all the things they have stolen over the years.

...That makes kobolds sound like earth-bound birds doesn't it?
The majestic kobold sock-nest is something I will have to see before I die.

If I were a kobold, instead of a badger, mammoths and other big game would be the first things I'm going for. Those big critters are on the lookout for lions, not some scrawny little rat lizard guy, and once we bagged one, that's food for a month or more.
I bet you could jump on the back of one and give it quite the copper dagger in the back before it could shake you off or roll over or however they would fight that. Maybe even stab out both of it's eyes at which point you could easily just keep your distance while it charged around till exhaustion between getting more knife-holes in it's hide.

Only real issue is how elephants do that herd thing so... well, maybe a whole cave of kobolds could simultaneously ambush an elephant herd.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: January 21, 2010, 12:20:53 am »

What a bone hut may look like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From the info on the website it (or huts like it) were apparently built in Ukraine during the stone age.  Wood was  scarce on the steppe, and bones were common, so it made sense to use them.

I'm liking the huts made of miscellaneous stolen junk idea, but implementing arbitrary wall components might be tricky.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: January 21, 2010, 12:28:55 am »

It is just sort of tough to program walls of junk.

Though I am waiting for Kobolds to make their own jewelry... The Kobold warriors are possibly the most fashion senseless race ever!

Well... next to a commn strand of Dwarven Nobility who chose to be naked.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: January 21, 2010, 12:34:04 am »

What a bone hut may look like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From the info on the website it (or huts like it) were apparently built in Ukraine during the stone age.  Wood was  scarce on the steppe, and bones were common, so it made sense to use them.

I'm liking the huts made of miscellaneous stolen junk idea, but implementing arbitrary wall components might be tricky.
Sort of. I think for kobolds it would be ok to do a special case where the items they steal below a certain value just get consolidated into "trash" that they'd make into walls. Maybe even make it so desconstructing it didn't give a block or such but just scattered bits of junk into adjacent tiles. This would essentially fit into giving them a building type like dark towers and such and those are hard coded anyway.

And having the whole dumping things into garbage zones process result in garbage instead of being able to retrieve pristine items out of a huge pile of junk (that could have had rats and such crawling through it for who knows how long,) might be worth including in the game. If a pile of garbage was automatically a wall it would even stop us from having 50,000 misc items on the same tile.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

UseBees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: January 21, 2010, 12:50:22 am »

what i'm thinking (wondering is more accurate, i guess) is if there will be more things that are flammable. i recently read the underground coal fire article on wikipedia, and was wondering:
what is going to happen in regards to flammability? will there be more things that are flammable/explosive? would an underground coal fire burning for years and years and years be possible? what about forest fires? will we be a token for flammable/explosive?

Coal already burns for quite a while, a year or two rather than decades. Of course though, the coal seam involved in that link is bigger than whats found in DF.

AFAIK, flammability hasn't changed and theres already tags for boiling and ignite points. However, given that we can do ALOT more stuff with materials now, we will have to wait and see what the full potential is.
thanks for your response. i sort of realized i forgot to ask will we be able to ignite things intentionally without some rube-goldberg-esque set up?
about the coal burning thing, i was referring to unmined/unprocessed tiles (ie a bituminous coal wall) burning.

also, are crowns wearable? i mean, seriously! i was confused as hell the first time i looted a cave, only to find i had taken a pile of unwearable crowns...which i proceeded to throw at a group (flock?) of harpies.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: January 21, 2010, 12:53:07 am »

what i'm thinking (wondering is more accurate, i guess) is if there will be more things that are flammable. i recently read the underground coal fire article on wikipedia, and was wondering:
what is going to happen in regards to flammability? will there be more things that are flammable/explosive? would an underground coal fire burning for years and years and years be possible? what about forest fires? will we be a token for flammable/explosive?

Coal already burns for quite a while, a year or two rather than decades. Of course though, the coal seam involved in that link is bigger than whats found in DF.

AFAIK, flammability hasn't changed and theres already tags for boiling and ignite points. However, given that we can do ALOT more stuff with materials now, we will have to wait and see what the full potential is.
thanks for your response. i sort of realized i forgot to ask will we be able to ignite things intentionally without some rube-goldberg-esque set up?
You mean more things than plants?
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1065