Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632012 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8910 on: December 18, 2009, 11:51:09 pm »

I like the generic animal-man names. It's not clear to people what a "thri-kreen" is if they haven't played D&D, but everybody gets some sort of visual when they see "Ant-Man." A lot of them don't have proper mythological or gaming names anyway. What would a slugman be?

Plus I like having maps with Batmen on them. I chortle every time I see the "Building interrupted by Batman" message.

Notice, though, that Toady uses "Merman" instead of "Fish-Man." Hmm.... a bit of inconsistency?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: December 19, 2009, 12:02:05 am »

Quote from: CobaltKobold link=topic=30026.msg927286#msg927286
But how, as a generic townsperson, are you going to realize that inverted palms correlate to not having those powers? Is a pretty big leap.

It's not just that their palms are backwards; their entire hands are attached upside down, with the fingers curling upwards.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:03:36 am by Grek »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: December 19, 2009, 12:15:05 am »

It does add a certain element of realism to it though. I mean, if I was a peasant who had lived in a village for his whole life, walking around in the woods and spotting a raksha, I'd most likely call it a tigerman, a weird looking tigerman at best. A wizard, however, would look at the raksha and call it a raksha, and even tell the difference if said raksha was in the middle of a tigermen tribe.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: December 19, 2009, 12:56:16 am »

Right. A wizard or sage should know.
Notice, though, that Toady uses "Merman" instead of "Fish-Man." Hmm.... a bit of inconsistency?
Merpeople are not fishmen, satyrs are not goatmen, and centaurs are not horsemen.

The only real exception to the naming I know that's in DF is "werewolf".
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: December 19, 2009, 01:23:18 am »

The only real exception to the naming I know that's in DF is "werewolf".

except, at some point, Toady will probably implement code for form changing and making them proper form shifting weres, and then we might have both werewolves (and maybe other weres) and wolf men
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: December 19, 2009, 01:41:20 am »

I'd say animalmen should eventually have names for themselves (raksha, thri-kreen, et cetera) but that these should be entity names, not species names.  We assume a group of tigermen call themselves the "Riget."  All elves and other animalmen would refer to them as such, as would most educated humans and dwarves (especially diplomats), unless actively seeking to antagonize them.  Dwarvern and human peasants, save perhaps those used to living in close proximity to the Riget, would simply refer to them as tigermen.  (The response from a given tigerman would range from polite correction to mauling; given tigermen, the latter seems more likely.)  They'd be displayed in Dwarf Mode as "Tigerman" or "Tigerman (Riget)" depending on circumstances.  (Do you have anyone who'd know the formal name?  Have you dwarves lived near them long enough to pick it up?  Has you civ in general shared a border with them long enough for it to be well known?)  Actually, I can see this being extended to all other entities; embarking in a very far away land might lead to encounters with an unidentified human culture, who might see it as odd (though perhaps not offensive) to be called "Human" instead of "Pesor Umpig-ese;" in time, the description would go from "Human" to "Human (Pesor Umpig)"
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Xether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: December 19, 2009, 05:49:37 am »

I'd say animalmen should eventually have names for themselves (raksha, thri-kreen, et cetera) but that these should be entity names, not species names.  We assume a group of tigermen call themselves the "Riget."  All elves and other animalmen would refer to them as such, as would most educated humans and dwarves (especially diplomats), unless actively seeking to antagonize them.  Dwarvern and human peasants, save perhaps those used to living in close proximity to the Riget, would simply refer to them as tigermen.  (The response from a given tigerman would range from polite correction to mauling; given tigermen, the latter seems more likely.)  They'd be displayed in Dwarf Mode as "Tigerman" or "Tigerman (Riget)" depending on circumstances. 
i agree, i was just about to write this but you did it better :P. Wouldn't be hard to implement would it? 

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: December 19, 2009, 05:53:02 am »

It would, however, be time-consuming. And Toady has enough to do already.

Leave it to the modders for now.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: December 19, 2009, 06:01:59 am »

I'd say animalmen should eventually have names for themselves (raksha, thri-kreen, et cetera) but that these should be entity names, not species names.  We assume a group of tigermen call themselves the "Riget."  All elves and other animalmen would refer to them as such, as would most educated humans and dwarves (especially diplomats), unless actively seeking to antagonize them.  Dwarvern and human peasants, save perhaps those used to living in close proximity to the Riget, would simply refer to them as tigermen.  (The response from a given tigerman would range from polite correction to mauling; given tigermen, the latter seems more likely.)  They'd be displayed in Dwarf Mode as "Tigerman" or "Tigerman (Riget)" depending on circumstances.
i agree, i was just about to write this but you did it better :P. Wouldn't be hard to implement would it? 

*checks the language files*
Quote from: LANGUAGE_HUMAN

[T_WORD:MAN:abo]
Odd, there isn't a word in LANGUAGE_DWARF for dwarf.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: December 19, 2009, 06:13:54 am »

I'd say animalmen should eventually have names for themselves (raksha, thri-kreen, et cetera) but that these should be entity names, not species names.  We assume a group of tigermen call themselves the "Riget."<<snip awesome KillerKlowns post>>

It would, however, be time-consuming. And Toady has enough to do already.

Leave it to the modders for now.

Modders can add all the entities and species they want, but they won't be able to change how these creatures recognize one another or how their naming systems arise from world gen.

Which based on what I've read and from listening to the DF Talks, Toady is definitely focused on making so much of the civs and how they deal with, and even refer to one another, procedurally generated.  So time will be consumed on enabling it in the near future indeed.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: December 19, 2009, 06:22:15 am »

Near future...er.

*doesn't want to quash such optimism*
Tilesets

ChokingVictim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: December 19, 2009, 06:32:10 am »

I like the generic animal-man names. It's not clear to people what a "thri-kreen" is if they haven't played D&D, but everybody gets some sort of visual when they see "Ant-Man." A lot of them don't have proper mythological or gaming names anyway. What would a slugman be?

Plus I like having maps with Batmen on them. I chortle every time I see the "Building interrupted by Batman" message.

I remeber when I discovered a goblin wearing a batman loincloth.  goblins wear batman undies.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: December 19, 2009, 07:13:08 am »

Searching didn't answer this question for me:
Will it be possible to dig in adventure mode in the next release?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: December 19, 2009, 07:17:54 am »

No. That's 1-3 releases down.
Tilesets

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: December 19, 2009, 10:15:51 am »

*checks the language files*
Quote from: LANGUAGE_HUMAN

[T_WORD:MAN:abo]
Odd, there isn't a word in LANGUAGE_DWARF for dwarf.

Not odd at all. In almost every language on earth, the term for the native speakers of it is something along the lines of "the people". From the dwarf standpoint, they're normal. It's everyone else who is too tall. So from that standpoint, probably:
Quote from: LANGUAGE_DWARF
[T_WORD:MAN:udos]

Shukarudos (tall man) might be a collective term for humans and elves.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 1065