Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3625381 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8280 on: December 10, 2009, 06:50:19 am »

12 things to release!

and 14 days left by most optimistic accurate guesstimates estimates based on wishfull thinking inside info and forum chatter industry experience.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: December 10, 2009, 07:09:22 am »

Hmm...purely coincidental that this projected DF-Day occurs simultaneously with the arrival of a large human trader with a reindeer-driven flying wagon?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: December 10, 2009, 09:06:07 am »

Hmm...purely coincidental that this projected DF-Day occurs simultaneously with the arrival of a large human trader with a reindeer-driven flying wagon?

He has Elf slaves make all his trade goods.  I don't know whether that's dwarven enough, or if we need to flood the depot with magma to remove the taint of those pointy-eared devils.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: December 10, 2009, 09:11:49 am »

12 things to release!

Guys, remember that Toady said the underground feature resource stuff is something that could be worked on indefinetly, or something like that. So, there is really more like 11 items to go. The rope ladder thing is still a major question mark though.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: December 10, 2009, 09:51:15 am »

Toady, love the new burrows-restricted automation, little changes like this can make the experience of playing the game so much more enjoyable.  Now I can get a silk production facility up and running without it interfering with my cloth industry or requiring excessive micromanagement.

I was wondering, however, while you're on the subject of automation, could I make a teensy request?  Could an option be added to make smelters automatically spawn "melt item" jobs when melt-designated items exist?  If it's a trivial task to add, that is...  It would streamline another process that currently requires user oversight.
Option only. Presently(thnks to fractionbars) you want to melt everything at one smelter, or you multiply waste. (This needs fixing, imo, but that's another issue)- so one smelter on repeat has, in my forts, been about exactly enough to keep trade goods and the fourth iron ore processed.
Considering the waste of fractionbars, it is not really waste, more of a buffer. But in anycase:
How difficult would it be to change the fraction bar memory from each individual smelter to a single "fortress fraction bars" value that would not be tied to smelter?

Because this would allow auto smelting, deleting smelters without loss of fractionbars, and would ease up the recycling of goblin invaders equipment. Any smelter adds their smelted values to the total, and whoever makes it full creates a bar. I would assume the basic idea is pretty easy to implement, just where exactly this fractionbar data sould be kept would be unclear.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: December 10, 2009, 09:52:20 am »

Here's how I look at the list.

"Unfinished Business" items have taken about a day each, and probably will finish out the same way.  The "compat issues" and 40d merge will probably turn out the same, if they compare to past compatibility, mainly because compatibility is always an ongoing issue.  The "cat bug" fix will of course be more elaborate than just inventing a bodypart for cats, probably giving creatures with graspers the ability to carry with their mouths in certain circumstances (or something).  But for Toady, that's maybe a day's work.  Call it 7-10 days for all of those.

As Toady has said, he could work on Underground Stuff forever if he lets himself, which sounds like he won't let himself.  Personally, I think ropes and ladders could easily be moved into the other building expansions due for the Expanded Sieges work.  But he at least has to polish it off, so it's still indefinite.

Then there's the Hydra Test, hanging bug reports, and the optimistically titled "Any Remaining Tests", which all pertain to putting the game back together and making sure it at least works enough to call releasable.  It sounds like Toady has all due diligence in testing items as he goes, but that's also an indefinite time sink.

So, a week-ish plus [indefinite] plus [indefinite].  There's 21 days left in December, including the holidays.  I still think he can pull off a releasable (if subtly but hilariously borked) Dwarf Fortress by the 31st.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: December 10, 2009, 10:26:17 am »

AHHHH, the anticipation is killing me!  I'd be happy if it runs ten minutes before exploding come Christmas Day.

The possibilities, the the amazing possibilities.

You can do it Toady!
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8287 on: December 10, 2009, 12:10:27 pm »

and if you go by the number of people * the time waited, I'm incurring more misery this time around.

Just think of the net forum anticipation value now accrued!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: December 10, 2009, 12:26:21 pm »

I have no doubts development on the new version will be done by the end of December. But due to the holidays and the nature of testing and debugging, we're not going to see a new version until mid-January at the earliest. I think we can count on that.

Anyways, have we been told/figured out what exactly "Update some of the optimizations for job reactions" means?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: December 10, 2009, 12:33:38 pm »

Anyways, have we been told/figured out what exactly "Update some of the optimizations for job reactions" means?

My best guess is that's about "reactions" in the sense of the game reacting when a job is queued.  The job has to find a worker and usually an item or several, and if it's trying to find the best ones for the job (i.e. nearby), the search could be expensive enough to warrant optimizing.  I could be totally wrong, though.  If it's about reactions as in smelter reactions, then I have no idea.

It just occurred to me that this might be an opportune time to fix a longstanding (and hugely annoying) bug.  The function that calculates straight-line distance for job items ignores z-levels.  Here are a couple reports that include simple ways to reproduce the problem: one, two, three.  It should be a quintessential one-minute fix, but I know how that goes.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:52:58 pm by Footkerchief »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: December 10, 2009, 12:37:43 pm »

He has Elf slaves make all his trade goods.  I don't know whether that's dwarven enough, or if we need to flood the depot with magma to remove the taint of those pointy-eared devils.

I think Santa and Urist Claus have different demographics. For one thing, a lump of coal in your stocking would actually be a good gift. And most dwarven masterpiece toys wouldn't exactly pass EPA tests ("Dear god...why does that teddy bear have spikes of lead??")

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: December 10, 2009, 01:12:07 pm »

I thought it was gnomes? http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/ASCII_Art_Reward#Xarph

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: December 10, 2009, 01:18:13 pm »

Well I for one hope Toady takes a nice long holiday break, even if it puts off the release until mid-late January.  I mean, he's certainly earned  it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: December 10, 2009, 01:46:45 pm »

Remember that he needs to prep the site for the sudden dowloads as well to keep the site from choking when the release is dropped

And if it's like the 2D to 3D release bugfixes could take a month by themselves.

So my estimate is still sometime between the day before and after it's done.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: December 10, 2009, 03:11:41 pm »

Bloodbeards updated mathematical release prediction

There are a total of 190 items on the development list. 179 are greened out (94.21%), 1 is blue (0.53%) and 10 are white (5.26%).

323 days have passed since the list of remaining items was created, that averages to a green-out every 1.8 days. The 1 blue item is the underground of which the great Toady has proclaimed will take a week to complete.

Taking the 10 white items and the 1 week-long blue item, these calculations would tell us that they will all be green in 25 days, giving us a final release date of January 4th (last prediction on Dec 3rd was Jan 5th).

LOGIC HATH SPOKEN.
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 1065