Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3628090 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5205 on: October 01, 2009, 01:21:54 pm »

WHY SAXOPHONE?

The High pitched shocked music.

Though strings would have probably been better

That and they also make excellent clubs to strike baligerent code with.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:24:01 pm by Neonivek »

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: October 01, 2009, 05:38:03 pm »

Perhaps names could be produced by throwing together random syllables. They don't really have to mean anything. I suppose it's already done with Utterances.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: October 01, 2009, 05:56:24 pm »

Have the kobolds name them.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: October 01, 2009, 06:28:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure the latter is a component of the first.
Pretty sure it's more of a magma/lava distinction.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: October 01, 2009, 06:37:31 pm »

Have the kobolds name them.

(SPOILER INCOMING) While this is not actually a bad idea, it might be somewhat contradict Toady's hopes to "ease into this randomization process to avoid being knee-deep in a pile of total crap," since the utterances (a.k.a. kobold talk) are about as random and meaningless as it gets.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: October 01, 2009, 06:45:29 pm »

It's better than "AURGH MY FACE"
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: October 01, 2009, 07:11:58 pm »

You're omitting partially digested food.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: October 02, 2009, 04:00:01 am »

You're omitting partially digested food.
I'd think that you'd say that your stomach is full of digestive juices, rather than full of vomit, even if you has just eaten a cheezburger.
And given that it's possible to throw up without having eaten anything recently...

LeeDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: October 02, 2009, 06:02:05 am »

*Saxaphone playing*

Great. Now I have the image of dwarves playing Take Five by Paul Desmond in my head...

Urist McBrubeck cancels sleep: Jam session.

This is a Brass saxophone. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of dwarves. The dwarves are jamming.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #5214 on: October 02, 2009, 09:22:03 am »

Urist McBrubeck cancels sleep: Jam session.

This is a Brass saxophone. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of dwarves. The dwarves are jamming.

Nice.

Question: Will instruments have a different material bonus progression, like weapons, but with brass or silver on top?

What is the density and hardness of our favourite blue metal? Will it be good for guitars?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: October 02, 2009, 09:53:51 am »

Maybe the strings will be made of a more vibration capable material?

Seriously though, how does one play a rock harp anyway?

Sounds like a philosophical question doesn't it.

For now though, dwarves (or anybody else in DF) don't actually play the instruments, so it's kind of moot. But I see what you are getting at.

Anyways, it sounds like the new critters will have the same randomness as the new titans do. So, I guess this would mean that as a group, they are all titans, but the ones we know are titans are the ones that didn't go underground (or escaped, depending on what mythology you want to write) and the ones underground are the titans that stayed there (or were sent there, or whatever) were lost to the mists of time and pre-history.

I can just imagine a bunch of dwarves exploring a cavern when they hear a strange sound and as they enter the cavern, their torches partially illuminate a nearby ledge and as they get closer, the brightening light reveals a strange creature unlike anything in their lore, or history. The creature moves forward a bit and they get a good look at something which could only be described as a cross between a GCS, the Aliens xenomorph, and a centipede.

It lets out a horrible screech and the dwarves decide to get the hell outta there before it decided to attack.

Stuff like this will make for great storytelling.

Oh yea, Will the new Titans and their underground kin have members which are 'friendly' to dwarves and won't attack unless provoked? It would be cool to have some that aren't hostile to dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:25:28 am by smjjames »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5216 on: October 02, 2009, 10:16:10 am »

EDIT:

Never mind.

I could have sworn there was a harp in that scene.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:18:17 am by Outcast Orange »
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: October 02, 2009, 10:26:51 am »

EDIT:

Never mind.

I could have sworn there was a harp in that scene.

huh? The one I just described?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: October 02, 2009, 12:04:18 pm »

Question: Will instruments have a different material bonus progression, like weapons, but with brass or silver on top?

Not yet, as far as we know.  There's a universal MATERIAL_VALUE tag now, and until items have some way of overriding that with their own "ideal" material properties (which isn't a bad idea for later on), the value calculations will work like they do now (base item value * material value).

What is the density and hardness of our favourite blue metal? Will it be good for guitars?

Check the raws preview (under "metals").

Will the new Titans and their underground kin have members which are 'friendly' to dwarves and won't attack unless provoked? It would be cool to have some that aren't hostile to dwarves.

It was mentioned that the underground civs will be hostile by default.  Dunno about their more unique cousins.

Quote from: Mephansteras
Will there be any change to civs interacting with your fortress due to the underground critters? Right now we pretty much have War and Trade (even No Trade civs will come and trade, they just don't bring much). Will we have way to make civ entities more hostile/neutral/friendly then we currently do?

Right now, any feature-linked civilization is marked as hostile just because that's the faster way to go, but it wouldn't be all that difficult to shake that up. 

edit: aha, found it.  Sounds like the undergrounders will all be hostile.  I imagine the titans will be too, just so players won't get disappointed they don't get to fight a Colossal Fluffy Wambler or whatever.  Though I guess you could still target it for murder now anyway, with the new squad commands.

Quote from: DF Talk 2 transcript
Ampersand:   [10]Do you ever plan on having some HFS that isn't immediately out to kill you?
[...]
Toady:   Well I guess if you mean will I suddenly open up a giant happy gem chamber with the gnomes that say 'come, here is our treasure', I guess that's fair. We haven't done anything yet, but certainly having everything underground not be completely evil is a reasonable suggestion. It's not something we've really done a lot with though; it's still pretty bad down there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:39:25 pm by Footkerchief »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: October 02, 2009, 12:43:25 pm »

It lets out a horrible screech and the dwarves decide to get the hell outta there are walled in before it decided to attack.

Stuff like this will make for great storytelling.

For the good of the fortress
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 1065