Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638314 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4770 on: September 18, 2009, 03:22:56 pm »

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology! That's how the quote goes, right?

That's one point of view.  I tend to go with a different view of magic, which Fieari expressed very pithily: "Let technology be reliable.  Let magic be MAGIC."  That's not to say that it wouldn't be cool to see abominations stitched together by crazed wizards.

Earlier we were also discussing fell moods for surgeons -- perhaps there could be a positive side to that too, with fey moods enabling operations that are normally impossible.  It would require a revamping of how strange moods are triggered, since it would be weird if the surgery mood happened when nobody needed it.  A heart transplant would only make sense if one dwarf has a heart disease/injury and another dwarf with a healthy heart drops dead for whatever reason.  The surgeon notices the coincidence, goes into a mood and attempts the transplant.  Mood fails if the patient dies, of course.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: September 18, 2009, 03:28:46 pm »

And secondly, simply no way there's going to be organ transplants. (Except, you know, maybe with magic and moods).

(...or for making Frankensteins)
Finis sanctificat media.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: September 18, 2009, 03:38:07 pm »

Btw, the eyelids have cleaning properties... I think I will mod in a dorf race with a giant eyelid covering the whole body. Then I can still drown soapmakers! >: D
Someone HAVE to draw this.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: September 18, 2009, 03:43:11 pm »

With the motion of wounds toward realism, we may run into the ancient conflict between realism and heroism. That shot to the heel may well kill you. ;)

Also, isn't the idea of being sanitary by washing rather beyond the suggested tech le'el?

QUIBBLE: Frankenstein is the doctor not the Creature.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:46:34 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: September 18, 2009, 03:46:29 pm »

With the motion of wounds toward realism, we may run into the ancient conflict between realism and heroism.

Also, isn't the idea of being sanitary by washing rather beyond the suggested tech le'el?

QUIBBLE: Frankenstein is the doctor not the Creature.

It's more of a cultural thing, anybody can just jump into a creek and wash themselves off with water.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: September 18, 2009, 03:47:11 pm »

Not at all. The Romans were quite concerned about keeping clean (bathing was a daily habit for many Romans), and I'm pretty sure I've read that Chinese doctors were well aware of the benefits of Sanitation in keeping people healthy. I'm sure other civilizations had also figured that out.

It was really only during after Christianity took over that people in Europe got the weird idea that bathing was bad for you. Mostly because of priests who declared that everything Roman was 'heathen' and therefore bad.

Are we going to see things like cats cleaning themselves with there tongues at some point?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: September 18, 2009, 03:52:17 pm »

???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:50:16 pm by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: September 18, 2009, 03:58:38 pm »

Ladies and Gentledwarves, today is a dark day. At around the 16th of Granite we received word that the fortress of Butterflytoast, our patrons, were struck by an incurable death called the red splotches. The king was among those that died within the first month, and as far as we know the fortress has been completely unpopulated. Now for the bad news.

Yesterday, as the surgeon general made his rounds of the quarters, he noticed Urist Horntrench had passed out. Subsequent examination revealed that it was red splotches. Today the surgeon general and his immediate medical staff have all been diagnosed with the red splotches. Their infections are expected to become terminal at noon today, by which time we believe most of the populous will have contracted the disease as well.

My fellow dwarves, I now ask you to pray to your gods. Not for yourselves, your family, or your king. I ask you to pray for those that will survive, for even survival will be a dance with Armok. Thank you. I leave you to tend to my family.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: September 18, 2009, 04:08:12 pm »

Also the relative unsafety of period water to drink, making water 'the Devil's drink'.

Romans had indoor plumbing (Plumbum pipes, natch). Incans had brain operations, at least trepanning. Romans had hydraulic cement.

There's a reason they're called the Dark Ages, y'know.

And wasn't there a masquerade ball scheduled for 16 Granite? ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: September 18, 2009, 04:08:52 pm »

Ladies and Gentledwarves, today is a dark day. At around the 16th of Granite we received word that the fortress of Butterflytoast, our patrons, were struck by an incurable death called the red splotches. The king was among those that died within the first month, and as far as we know the fortress has been completely unpopulated. Now for the bad news.

Yesterday, as the surgeon general made his rounds of the quarters, he noticed Urist Horntrench had passed out. Subsequent examination revealed that it was red splotches. Today the surgeon general and his immediate medical staff have all been diagnosed with the red splotches. Their infections are expected to become terminal at noon today, by which time we believe most of the populous will have contracted the disease as well.

My fellow dwarves, I now ask you to pray to your gods. Not for yourselves, your family, or your king. I ask you to pray for those that will survive, for even survival will be a dance with Armok. Thank you. I leave you to tend to my family.

Good thing magma is a disinfectant!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: September 18, 2009, 05:01:44 pm »

Does ANYONE know whether you can currently request soap as a trade good?

I'm going to try and find out, the human caravan is a bit over a game month away.

Okay, I just looked and no, you can't request soap as a trade good. Glass doesn't exist as a requestable item either.

Honestly, if green glass just requires some sand and a heat source, just about everybody except maybe the elves (unless they have some wierd heat generating plant or something) would be making it and have glass items as requestable.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: September 18, 2009, 05:03:11 pm »

Really, though, making soap isn't that hard. It certainly shouldn't require an alchemist's workshop to produce.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: September 18, 2009, 05:31:44 pm »

I don't know what all SirHoneyBadger's medical notes to Toady were, but it would be neat if there was the possibility of, say, bleeding being a counter-sepsis-treatment, with a low probability of success.  This would open up the possibility of a lowly-trained doctor misdiagnosing a venom/specialized infection/whatever and prescribing bleeding, only to make the condition worse. 

And. . .you know. . .explosions.

So psyched for this release.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4783 on: September 18, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »

There are a lot of steps in the process. It would definitely require some sort of workshop/ profession to produce it.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: September 18, 2009, 05:48:47 pm »

There are a lot of steps in the process. It would definitely require some sort of workshop/ profession to produce it.

For soapmaking, honestly, the kitchen would make just as much sense.  And since soapmaking will be a raw'd reaction (by the looks of it anyway), and the alchemist's shop and kitchen will both be reaction-capable, it'll be easy to move the job over there.  I think that would automatically make it a job for Cooks, unless the new reactions have a profession parameter.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 1065