Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636203 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14985 on: March 23, 2010, 11:46:11 am »

Toady, any chance you could give us a rundown of things you know you still have left to do? Obviously new bugs can show up and need to be fixed, but it'd be nice to know how much work you know for a fact is needed.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14986 on: March 23, 2010, 11:46:29 am »

Well, were here. Through all the spam, all the off-topic posts, and speculation, we're finally here. Page 1000. Reply 14985. As the community at large waits with bated breath, dreaming of giving out orders to our new dwarves, of the beautiful new, rich world that they inhabit, and the potential for it's refinement and innovation by our wonderful community of modders, I think we can all take a degree of humble pride in the fact that we stuck through it, for the long haul.

The fact that this thread has lasted this long is a testament to what long release cycle it has been. But the end is in sight. Even by the most pessimistic of predictions, the new version will be out in April. But this is not simply a new bunch of toys. This is the opening of the floodgates. With the new version upon us, and save compatibility broken, the steady flow of content from years past can begin once more. So take heart, forumgoers; a new day is nearly  upon us.

I typed this up a bit in advance, and I've been stalking this thread, waiting for the opportunity to open up. Because really, this is a wonderful community, a wonderful game, and a wonderful new era for both, which certainly desereves a couple paragraphs. Hell, it probably deserves a better writer than me, but at least this is better than "1000 GET!"
EDIT: So much for that idea.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14987 on: March 23, 2010, 11:47:01 am »

Well I, for one, don't see the big significance about page 1000. It's just an arbitrary number and as others have pointed out it varies depending on your settings anyway.

Besides, I got on page 800. So I don't need to post some meaningless arbitrary post to get on page 1000 to feel important. :)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14988 on: March 23, 2010, 11:47:55 am »

Well, I feel quite honored to post on page 1,000. We've come quite a long way.

Edit: Well, this seems to be the third post in a row to start with "well,".

Edit2: Below post almost manages to continue.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:49:28 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14989 on: March 23, 2010, 11:48:17 am »

Ah well.  There's been speculation that "rough release" means he may be likely to drop the merge to get the release out the door then merge it with 40d19 afterwards.  Any truth to that?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:52:09 am by Sagabal »

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14990 on: March 23, 2010, 11:49:25 am »

Page 1000 sniper

Edit: FFFFFFUUUUUUU-
FAILURE
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14991 on: March 23, 2010, 11:49:36 am »

Just posting to say I posted on this page
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14992 on: March 23, 2010, 11:50:40 am »

Wow, I feel lightheaded. This moment is awesome, and each post brings it closer to it's end. So cherish it.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14993 on: March 23, 2010, 11:50:48 am »

Maybe the release will come at 10,000 pages, not 1,000?  Almost there folks!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14994 on: March 23, 2010, 11:51:29 am »

Ah well.  There's been speculation that "rough release" means he may be likely to drop the merge to get the release out the door then merge it with 40d19 afterwards.  Any truth to that?

Baughn has talked about that but not sure if it will happen, there's a chance it will though.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14995 on: March 23, 2010, 11:51:31 am »

Maybe the release will come at 10,000 pages, not 1,000?  Almost there folks!

don't you even joke about that

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14996 on: March 23, 2010, 11:52:08 am »

Well, that was a nice idea. But alas, no release.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14997 on: March 23, 2010, 11:52:34 am »

It could be reply 15000. That's independent of user settings.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14998 on: March 23, 2010, 11:52:54 am »

Floodgates was a good word for just now in another sense. I expected about a page of posts all in the few second window of 1000 get but you guys all gave each other away in how long you were making the refresh times.

As for me I've only got to endure a few more pages of people talking about this before someone starts into the "give me aneurysms" project with a whole new speculative release date.

Edit: 1001 get? I started typing this with about eight posts on 1000 so you guys didn't hit nearly as narrow a band as I expected.
I'm gonna go play other games until my eyesight is too messed up for any more foruming today now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:56:38 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14999 on: March 23, 2010, 11:53:19 am »

I hope it's not another 9000 pages. That would bring us into the next decade.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.
Pages: 1 ... 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 ... 1065