Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635389 times)

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14670 on: March 19, 2010, 07:00:26 am »

To be perfectly honest, I'd be absolutely okay with you guys talking about boobs. I guess I'm just one of those weird sorta girls that hates all that hair all over everything.

Ah, it's not that weird.  Although personally I prefer people that look like caveman/bear crossbreeds.  Just so long as there is no more talk of breasts as functioning shields!  ;D
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: March 19, 2010, 07:17:42 am »

Anybody else thin its odd that human are the only ape that grows mammary glands before birthing an offspring?

Human males used to be attracted to the buttocks of the female. You can still see this in other apes and monkeys that still frequently go on all four legs.

Since humans became upright, the butt became less noticeable, so the visual cues that used to be associated with the buttocks became associated with the chest instead.

So deep down, we all like big butts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:21:44 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: March 19, 2010, 07:33:57 am »

And we cannot lie!
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: March 19, 2010, 07:55:10 am »

By the way, I see that soldier migrants are no longer happening. That's good; they always got stuck on arrival for me. Although...

In the past, soldier migrants used to come bearing their own equipment; this saved me a couple of times in the past.

So when migrants with the skills of a former soldier arrive, can they still come with armor/weapons?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: March 19, 2010, 08:54:30 am »

And we cannot lie!
Those other brothers can't deny! (and either can I!)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: March 19, 2010, 09:53:29 am »

By the way, I see that soldier migrants are no longer happening. That's good; they always got stuck on arrival for me. Although...

In the past, soldier migrants used to come bearing their own equipment; this saved me a couple of times in the past.

So when migrants with the skills of a former soldier arrive, can they still come with armor/weapons?
Did you have a barracks defined? I'm fairly sure that that's where they go when they arrive.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: March 19, 2010, 10:07:32 am »

Stay on topic....  Stay on topic...  Aw, impacted at the surface.

ANYway.  Was looking over Toady's latest devel notes.  Liked most of them, but this part:
I've compensated for that by giving migrants higher and more varied skills in general, including the skills of a former soldier at times.
not so much.  I honestly think that migrants ought to be nearly skill-less.  For several reasons, one of which is that I get to shape them to my fancy and cultivate strange moods.  Turning yet another peasant with nothing interesting about him except a word or two hidden in his character description into my leader/legendary glassmaker/champion is way cool.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: March 19, 2010, 10:43:09 am »

The problem only happens if they are at the same tile they spawned. You have to undraft them, let them move one tile and then draft them again, then they will move further normally. For them same reason you don't draft new migrants until they move at least one tile, or they will get stuck the same way as migrant soldiers do, and the rest of the migrant wave will wait for them to move before spawning.

I've compensated for that by giving migrants higher and more varied skills in general, including the skills of a former soldier at times.
not so much.  I honestly think that migrants ought to be nearly skill-less.  For several reasons, one of which is that I get to shape them to my fancy and cultivate strange moods.  Turning yet another peasant with nothing interesting about him except a word or two hidden in his character description into my leader/legendary glassmaker/champion is way cool.

I don't like the way migrants work currently. Seriously during their whole life they didn't learn a single skill? That was very bad imho, I am happy with the changes.
And I think of training 20 peasants in some useful skill to dabbling only to get a bigger chance of strange mood of this skill as an exploit.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:44:59 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02:59 am »

Has anyone else noticed that Doomshifter's avatar's hair... has thumbs?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: March 19, 2010, 11:15:30 am »

Weird. Its just hair. Though you seem to be against hair discussion in general. How we switch to mammary gland evolution? Your avatar is basically a bouncing pair of them.

Anybody else thin its odd that human are the only ape that grows mammary glands before birthing an offspring?

To be perfectly honest, I'd be absolutely okay with you guys talking about boobs. I guess I'm just one of those weird sorta girls that hates all that hair all over everything.

You are not alone, I abhor any kind of hair over any surface that isn't the head (head =/= face). I don' count as a girl though, even if I'm gay.

Anyway, I very much prefer migrants the way they are supposed to be now. It was frustating that 50% of every migrant wave consisted solely of skilless dwarves. Plus, its not like there's anything stopping you from giving them different jobs, if you want. Also, arriving with better skills should cause them to have better stats aswell, which is aways a plus.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: March 19, 2010, 11:19:19 am »

Those are bunny ears, anime style.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: March 19, 2010, 11:20:17 am »

That's not hair...
Funny you notice this and not the massive eye on her shoulder.

On Topic: I have to agree with changing migrants to have better skills. It's kind of strange that a single 'no adjective' skill is the best you'll see in a migrant, something your dwarfs can achieve by working half a season. Is employment really so scarce in the outside world that no one is better than that? No wonder so many of them come...

Of course, you could argue that the dwarfs who migrate do so because they are young and seeking their fortunes abroad, or they are down on their luck beggars where they came from. Though some migrants could be fleeing conflict, and in that case they may very well be more skilled.

I'm sure we'll see this come into play once migrants are drawn from real populations and migrate for a reason other than 'my fort is making allot of spiffy stuff, and I'm not at the population cap yet.'

Katawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: March 19, 2010, 11:26:17 am »

No he means the breast groping hair.
att has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: March 19, 2010, 11:31:03 am »

No he means the breast groping hair.

I think somewhere else, someone who researched her avatar said it was really a slime girl that had taken on a very provocative form, so the hands, hair, and breasts are actually one continuous unit of cytoplasm.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:45 am »

Um, whatever.

I wonder when Toady will update the devlog today.

Also, only 20 pages to go!
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1065