Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636286 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11610 on: January 31, 2010, 09:51:57 am »

that would be pretty boring
adding better stuff isn't necessarilly good, instead i'd rather see the lesser metals being made more usefull, for example, making bronze harder than iron, but heavier and more expensive, don't know how accurate that would be

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: January 31, 2010, 10:00:55 am »

I disagree. If such an alloy could be made and it's properties mimicked, don't you think that the properties of metal would need better definition? Our ideas aren't exclusive. They work well together.
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: January 31, 2010, 11:24:05 am »

So on the assumption that warhammers are going to be rather realistically sized in the next version, does that mean they will no longer knock back enemies?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11613 on: January 31, 2010, 11:34:11 am »

Nah we just combine the rules of physics with the rules of awesome. So on impact the gravity around the target gets deactivated and the entire momentum of the hammer gets moved to the poor guy that got hit.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: January 31, 2010, 11:52:59 am »

What happened about Dwarves only being able to gain double their starting attributes through training? I doubt they're going to be hurling Dragons about, that way

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: January 31, 2010, 12:27:21 pm »

If you're on the moon, the aforementioned 25-pound mallet could be swung 1-handed. Sure, it'd be rather heavy to handle, but without its weight, it'd be a lot easier to wield.

You could hold it one-handed, but you'd swing it awful slowly.  Anyway, it's gravity that assists most uses of a hammer (you hit down), and without it you have to supply that force yourself.  Similarly since the momentum of an upswing isn't as arrested, you'd probably wrench yourself around if you didn't connect.  Mass is the same everywhere, you don't get any more power in space than you do on earth.  Push against a 300-ton space station and it still isn't going anywhere.

I have to disagree about gravity assisting much. Yes, it will on a vertical down swing, but the overall contribution is negligible compared to the energy the wielder is putting into it. The 25lb mallet would benefit a bit more from gravity, but simply for the reason that it would be harder for the wielder to add momentum. However, it's for just that reason that I suspect that particular weapon was kept in constant motion like you would with a two-handed battle axe. Spinning them in pattern around yourself not only help 'keep them up to speed' so-to-speak by maintaining momentum in the weapons, but also allows for both an active defense and more unpredictable attacks.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: January 31, 2010, 12:58:15 pm »

I just imagined warhammer-chucks...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11617 on: January 31, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »

Ninjadorfs!  :o
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: January 31, 2010, 01:14:58 pm »

And samurai trolls.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11619 on: January 31, 2010, 01:23:25 pm »

that would be pretty boring
adding better stuff isn't necessarilly good, instead i'd rather see the lesser metals being made more usefull, for example, making bronze harder than iron, but heavier and more expensive, don't know how accurate that would be

well eventually i'd imagine arbitrary values won't be assigned to things, so if everybody and their grandmother had bronze, then it would be cheaper, unless there was essentially the same saturation of iron (since iron requires less work in DF).

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11620 on: January 31, 2010, 01:35:58 pm »

the "arbitrarily better" should be out, aside from adamantine, since mats are getting their real properties.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: January 31, 2010, 01:43:57 pm »

Even adamantine isn't arbitrarily better. It's just ungodly strong and very lightweight. Hammers and even axes made with the stuff won't be too good, hammers moreso than axes. Ironic, since these are the two weapons dwarves would most likely wield. Armor and pointy implements on the other hand, would only benefit.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: January 31, 2010, 01:48:24 pm »

Dunno. Lighter armor means it won't absorb so much of the energy, e'en if it is easier to move in.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: January 31, 2010, 01:48:33 pm »

Well from my POV a dwarf a dwarf goes best with a spear or other long weapons to counter the rangeadvantage of humans. Oh And adamntine would be neat for building "Huge" constructions if we get someday Physics for Buildings.

Proud to be a Furry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: January 31, 2010, 01:56:24 pm »

Adamantine will then eventually be best for mechanisms. Nothing else will be able to withstand the amount of torque imposed onto the gears and axles by the powerhouse running your gattling bridgeapult turret.

Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1065