Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635897 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11490 on: January 29, 2010, 11:51:07 am »

I don't see the monarch's spouse listed there, for example -- do they still require rooms? What about Duke's consort?

Does the militia captain overlap with the sheriff, or are they separate?

Code: [Select]
[POSITION:MONARCH]
[SPOUSE_MALE:king consort:kings consort]
[SPOUSE_FEMALE:queen consort:queens consort]

Spouses are listed within the position-holder's info, as seen here. Whether that means they require nothing or all the same things as the position-holder, I don't know. Toady, do spouses of position-holders (ie. the king/queen) require the same things as the position-holder, or do they just share and not need anything all to themself?

@Hieronymous: I was wondering about the room stuff myself as I asked whether we need to house the outpost liason and/or the diplomat as well.

Here's the listed requirements for both of those. Seems like yes, you do.

Code: [Select]
[POSITION:OUTPOST_LIAISON]
[REQUIRED_BOXES:3]
[REQUIRED_CABINETS:2]
[REQUIRED_RACKS:2]
[REQUIRED_STANDS:2]
[REQUIRED_OFFICE:1500]
[REQUIRED_BEDROOM:1500]
[REQUIRED_DINING:1500]

[POSITION:DIPLOMAT]
[REQUIRED_BOXES:3]
[REQUIRED_CABINETS:2]
[REQUIRED_RACKS:2]
[REQUIRED_STANDS:2]
[REQUIRED_OFFICE:1500]
[REQUIRED_BEDROOM:1500]
[REQUIRED_DINING:1500]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11491 on: January 29, 2010, 12:01:43 pm »

Yea, but the thing is, the outpost liason and diplomat are for the most part, only visiting your fort. I know that when the king comes, the liason becomes the advisor, no idea about the diplomat though. However, its just not entirely clear whether we will have to house them and even when. I've seen the dwarven diplomat in legends, never had one come to the fort. It would be cool if another civ or fort sent one to set up a trade agreement, but that will have to wait until the caravan stuff.

There is already a question asking how many more nobles we will have to make rooms for, so my question would get answered at the same time as my question.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11492 on: January 29, 2010, 12:04:12 pm »

@Heph: Besides the fact that it would be as valuable as anything else from the animal (which would be x10 if its unchanged from the way it is now), maybe it would vary by culture. Like some believe that the horn is an aphrodisiac, ground horn would have medical properties (in the real world, you may as well eat your fingernails as thats what rhino horns are made of, keratin, like your fingernails....)....

I wasnt going for the worh of the material. I want the physical properties like the shearpoint etc. A Unicorn-horn spear could be a very piercing experience.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11493 on: January 29, 2010, 12:09:10 pm »

I think Toady mentioned that advisor-liason change was just a strange hard coded thing so it sounds like he's just dropped the name change. The diplomat sounds like it will have a bigger role in later releases.

What kind of room design have you got that can't stand to have some more rooms thrown on though?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11494 on: January 29, 2010, 12:18:59 pm »

The room information for diplomats just looks like it's there for consistency's sake to me.  That way if toady does decide to do something with them they are already set up just like the others and he doesn't have to hassle with figuring out proper rooms for them later.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11495 on: January 29, 2010, 12:26:44 pm »

I hope the Position holders get "theyr" rooms in the Mountainhomes too and recognize them.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11496 on: January 29, 2010, 01:32:46 pm »

I looked in the species raws.  It looks like the [liKES_FIGHTING] tag combines with [CAN_CIV] (which is included in [INTELLIGENT], I think) to create attackers.  I guess these must be species-level tags.

Nope, it's a caste level tag:

The number of tokens that are creature rather than caste specific is very small.  Creatures handle the overall name, biome, whether the creature is considered fanciful/doesn't exist (for art), vermin information (so, no, Fault, sorry!... too much depends on that right now), whether groups hang together closely, whether it is mundane (from real Earth for age name purposes), population information including good/evil/savage, if it is equipment, sphere information (not sure how long that'll last, but there were annoyances), and that looks like it (they also have some general categories that have caste overrides, like child names and speeches for adv mode).  Everything else, including body information, is held in the castes.

So yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Igfig's scenario plays out.

Question about the "Humanoid"-Template: Do we get Random Animalman on the Map at some point? Would they appear in the same Biomes as the parent animal? Like one Northern Forrest (retreats) gets wolfman while a jungle gets Cheetah-men? Or foulblendecIcewolf/Unicorn-men if said biome is sinister/sphere influenced?

The animalman types aren't randomly created.  The animalman creature variation is applied manually to specific creatures (here are the actual raws for a variation and its usage), so you'll only get animalmen that Toady specifically added, and they'll show up in their assigned biomes just like any other creature.

Speaking of unicorns what are the physical properties of theyr horn? Is it in some way extra pointy/sharp? What odd Monster-materials can we exspect?

This is the most "wait and see" thing ever.

Yea, but the thing is, the outpost liason and diplomat are for the most part, only visiting your fort. I know that when the king comes, the liason becomes the advisor, no idea about the diplomat though. However, its just not entirely clear whether we will have to house them and even when. I've seen the dwarven diplomat in legends, never had one come to the fort. It would be cool if another civ or fort sent one to set up a trade agreement, but that will have to wait until the caravan stuff.

You only have to house them if they're living at your fortress permanently, i.e. if your fortress becomes a mountainhome.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:34:39 pm by Footkerchief »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11497 on: January 29, 2010, 01:41:02 pm »

From dev_now
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love hearing about bugs. :D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: January 29, 2010, 01:47:46 pm »

Sounds like great fun. Although those dwarves are truly demented right now. I mean, preferring water over booze? Broken souls, indeed.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11499 on: January 29, 2010, 01:52:03 pm »

It could have been a number of factors in the preferring water over booze thing.

Still, I'm wondering about the Philosopher as well since he isn't in that positions list.

Kind of cool that the DM can now be assigned or something.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11500 on: January 29, 2010, 02:19:57 pm »

Question about the "Humanoid"-Template: Do we get Random Animalman on the Map at some point? Would they appear in the same Biomes as the parent animal? Like one Northern Forrest (retreats) gets wolfman while a jungle gets Cheetah-men? Or foulblendecIcewolf/Unicorn-men if said biome is sinister/sphere influenced?

The animalman types aren't randomly created.  The animalman creature variation is applied manually to specific creatures (here are the actual raws for a variation and its usage), so you'll only get animalmen that Toady specifically added, and they'll show up in their assigned biomes just like any other creature.

assigned biomes...

as in assigned specifically to the implementation of the animal man, or assigned to the base creature?

I just really want turtle men to be found in the underground... bonus points if they ambush and and can be armed with a staff, flail, sword, or sai...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11501 on: January 29, 2010, 02:21:48 pm »

Don't forget the legendary wrestler ratman.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #11502 on: January 29, 2010, 02:38:08 pm »

I'm so excited!
Things are going to be really FUN.

Ah, my first ultra bug-filled DF release.
I'll be sitting right here on the front lines.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11503 on: January 29, 2010, 02:42:41 pm »

assigned biomes...

as in assigned specifically to the implementation of the animal man, or assigned to the base creature?

I just really want turtle men to be found in the underground... bonus points if they ambush and and can be armed with a staff, flail, sword, or sai...

The animalman can use the base creature's biomes, or override them.  In the example I linked above, the cave fish man just uses the base creature's biomes, although it replaces AQUATIC with AMPHIBIOUS:

Spoiler: Toady's reply (click to show/hide)

The underground turtlemen aren't likely -- turtles only live aboveground in the current version.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11504 on: January 29, 2010, 02:46:20 pm »

I'm getting overexcited now.  I keep telling myself that the bug testing is likely to take a LONG time since so very much has been added, but just knowing we're at that stage now keeps making me go all gooey with joy.
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 1065