Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633738 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9870 on: January 06, 2010, 01:08:17 pm »

Therefore, it's spoilered. It doesn't really warrant an own thread, we're only discussing it because lightspeed rocks came up.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #9871 on: January 06, 2010, 01:49:15 pm »

I missed the relativity discussion!  :o

Since I actually am a theoretical physicist, I live for this stuff.

Just so that nobody argues about it again, I explain it here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully we won't have any more relativity discussions in this thread.

I wrote a research paper about this last term.

Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: January 06, 2010, 02:30:04 pm »

Therefore, it's spoilered. It doesn't really warrant an own thread, we're only discussing it because lightspeed rocks came up.
Oh, I don't really care either way...it's pretty interesting..
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9873 on: January 06, 2010, 02:48:29 pm »

very big flamewar starting spoiler

sorry, couldn't resist.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: January 06, 2010, 02:50:37 pm »

very big flamewar starting spoiler

sorry, couldn't resist.

You really love derailing this thread don't you? lol.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: January 06, 2010, 03:31:53 pm »

@shoku re: water

Basically, the game needs to be aware of the difference between a static body of water and a dynamic one.  As it is, it makes no distinction.  Once this sort of thing happens, then FPS would only get hurt when water starts to flow.  Furthermore, I don't see any other way around modelling beyond the tiles immediately adjacent to a tile of water.  Somehow the game needs to realize:  "Hey, I'm a 7/7 deep thingy of water next to a completely vacant thingy of space.  I better change that fast!  So let's see, where should I move to..." and kill the FPS if need be, at least it will only be killed for moment if the flow isn't into a chasm or some other endless extreme. 
It does that just fine. You can expect a large body of water to very quickly fill up a room you've accidentally carved into it and piercing an aquifer floods your fort at a suitable rate.

The slow water issue only shows up when you've got 7/7 next to a long stretch of 6/7 next to a long stretch of 5/7 and so on.

No, no it doesn't do it just fine.  Something that only works under certain circumstances and not under others is not working fine, in my opinion.
Read carefully. I'm saying that water quickly moves into a space when you've got 7/7 next to 0/7. THAT works in a way that makes perfect sense.

We're not disagreeing on the issues, of course.  Just apparently on whether we should be satisfied with the way it works (ie whether it is a problem or not).  A 7/7 tile should be able to "look ahead" a bit (beyond its immediately adjacent tiles) and more aggressively dump its content.
It's going to have to look an awfully long way for the point when the system ends up slow.
But yes, having some kind of additional nudging to spread out would definitely give more pleasing results.

It would be interesting to experiment by surrounding a space of 7/7 water with floodgates and then open them simulateously to see if the 7/7 immediately becomes 7 1/7 tiles in an appropriately large room.  I am willing to bet 50 dwarfbucks it doesn't.
It will be comparably fast in relation to water trying to travel down a single tile wide tunnel. The perimeter of the water area with grow quite quickly as the water spreads meaning that instead of water needing to go one very specific direction to fill in space it will instead accomplish this by going in any direction.

You may end up with a corner or two that are dry while the other two have become wet but it wouldn't be all that unsatisfactory a result. It would look well enough like a wave of water for a few tiles and then the water would just slosh around till low.

Yeah, a small room will flood *pretty* quickly, but a long channel simply will not.  Anyway, another problem is the way time is very relative in dwarf fortress.  But even given that, I say it should not take a full year for water to flow from one end of a channel to the other given uninterrupted input.  That's the basis of that argument.
I agree. Propose a cheap method of giving it directionality and we may see a rewrite after the upcoming release.

If we can't agree on that, then there's no point arguing about flow and this other esoteric stuff.

Last time I checked U-bends didn't work perfectly, they only fill to one level under the source level.
To ilustrate this situation:

Code: [Select]
Source
   |
   V      
OOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
77777O  O.......  <-Safe area
OOOO7O  O7OOOOOO
   O7O  O7O
   O7OOOO7O
   O777777O
   OOOOOOOO

I tested with an underground pool, there were probably some strange things going on there...
Code: [Select]
OO77777777777777777OO
OOO7777777777777OOOOO
OO7777777777777777OOO
OOO7777777777777OO __←mined out with open (channeled floor)
OO77777777777777777OO
Anyway, got no love from that.  Unfortunately, I don't have the save anymore to go back and check.  So I might be wrong.

edit: mispelled "tiles"
Ya, that's not working as intended. If you dump a single unit of water on top of it I bet it would all start rushing in though.

Spoiler: Quantum physics issues (click to show/hide)

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: January 06, 2010, 03:46:29 pm »

I'd love to see water work in some realistic fashion, rather than taking months or years to flow through a channel. I just don't see a cheap way to model it. A way of determining a 'steady state' condition would help FPS, but I don't think the cycles required to determine/confirm steady state water would be fewer than those required to model current behavior. Oh, and someone get a cheap pathfinding algorithm too. I'm tired of single-digit FPS on my laptop. ;D
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: January 06, 2010, 04:35:58 pm »

I think that any water movement improvements that don't kill FPS are going to be reliant on a pathing rewrite.  I imagine that what is needed is a system that dynamically defines contiguous spaces as rooms or bodies of water that are used as nodes, then a large body of water would not need to check each square, just if there are any water pathable links from the one node to another node with a lower level of water, and then flow would only need to be calculated along the path between bodies of water and you can avoid silly situations like all the water in a cistern draining out the bottom in a short period of time and instantly flooding the area below without actually causing any flow thanks to the water teleportation behavior.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: January 06, 2010, 04:48:04 pm »

I think that any water movement improvements that don't kill FPS are going to be reliant on a pathing rewrite.  I imagine that what is needed is a system that dynamically defines contiguous spaces as rooms or bodies of water that are used as nodes, then a large body of water would not need to check each square, just if there are any water pathable links from the one node to another node with a lower level of water, and then flow would only need to be calculated along the path between bodies of water and you can avoid silly situations like all the water in a cistern draining out the bottom in a short period of time and instantly flooding the area below without actually causing any flow thanks to the water teleportation behavior.
So really huge rewrite of the system. Ok but you'll have to wait quite awhile for it.

In the meantime we can just make use of pumps and other pressure thing to quickly get water where we want it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: January 06, 2010, 05:16:07 pm »

Yeah hopefully Toady will be better soon and... stuff.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: January 06, 2010, 05:27:58 pm »

To hopefully move away from the theoretical physics*, I have a question about the water-flow diagrams that were getting tossed around.

*not that I have a problem with it... in it's own thread! I'd like it to have freedom to expand into a science-off free-for-all.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: January 06, 2010, 06:14:54 pm »

Um... 0*∞ is 0. That's why photons actually can travel at the speed of light, because they have no mass.
Hm. How do I make this post on-topic?

Anyone want to place bets on when Toady''s going to recover?  :P
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: January 06, 2010, 06:16:39 pm »

Most likely vertical.  That SHOULD rush in, unless he has a diagonal below the walls next to the tunnel.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: January 06, 2010, 06:17:50 pm »

Vertical, and I agree with the others on the hypothesis- ponding another unit on top should start the whole mess going, since it thinks it's a static body of water right now.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: January 06, 2010, 06:20:08 pm »

Unless he forgot to unpause the game.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1065