Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575431 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2235 on: May 30, 2009, 07:53:37 am »

I bet this gets asked all the time but is there an estimate release date for the new version?

There's no official estimate.  My guess would be 4 months.  Another half month for entity positions, two months for squads, and a month and a half for sites and other miscellaneous final stuff.

That said, as late as January, I was still predicting an April/May release, so take this new prediction with a giant ass bag of rock salt.

I gave up on predictions to be honest, because I've failed 2 times already... ;D

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: May 30, 2009, 08:06:13 am »

He said during the audio interview that it would come out this year, even if he had to delay parts. Aside from that, there's not much to go on.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: May 30, 2009, 09:23:23 am »

Wait, so the next update will make nobility actually useless for something?  Better get ready to install a ski lift in hell.
Don't you mean useful?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: May 30, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »

Yay an update!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: May 30, 2009, 07:22:17 pm »

Regarding threetoes newest story:

Goblins from a demon realm? I guess that goes under the point "planes" from the consolidated dev-page or are they of demonic origin?

Another thing to remark it is the behaviour of the Buzzard-men. I am not sure if it can be modelled somehow but scavengers not scavenging a huge freshly dead creature would make me suspicious. Not that Bram was thinking about that in the first place. What i want to say is: Would it possible that the NPcs draw conclusions like this if they get the right knowledge? 

We see also inter-civilisation-laws (the cougar-girl hunting the deerman) even thought they are enpowered by the forest spirit. Pacts and Contracts between two or more factions would be awesome.

The magics are also very flashy this time. To note is that they seem have triggering-conditions, the crown for example seems only to operate as long a pact-bound mortal wears it (maybe even only as long hes i an certain world).

Also i would like to see all the species maped out that are in threetoe storys but not yet in the game.

Anyway a very entertaining story again. Why dont flesh out some of the shortstories a bit more so they can be bound to a (E)book? They are good enought in my opinion. Put it as PDF for 2 or 3 Dollars on the download-page and you could get some extra-income over the year.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: May 31, 2009, 08:44:31 am »

This story was interesting, but nothing beats the one detailing a Dwarf Fortress from an elven point of view. 
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: May 31, 2009, 05:26:07 pm »

Makes me even more eager to see how exactly wizards will work. I don't want DF wizards to be just your generic mage guy that casts fireballs. Since DF is a fantasy worlds generator, i'm expecting a wizard with REAL powers, such as alteration spells that actually change the environment, summoning otherworldly creatures that actually do something apart from fighting, use spells to transform him/she/it in different interesting ways, being able to create your own tower with a laboratory, mess with lifeforms and create your own, servant race, as mentioned in the dev notes.

Maybe travelling to hell and becoming a demon yourself?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: May 31, 2009, 07:33:28 pm »

Makes me even more eager to see how exactly wizards will work

Which wizard? Adventurer/Fortress Wizard or Tower Wizard?

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: May 31, 2009, 08:28:30 pm »

I bet this gets asked all the time but is there an estimate release date for the new version?

There's no official estimate.  My guess would be 4 months.  Another half month for entity positions, two months for squads, and a month and a half for sites and other miscellaneous final stuff.

That said, as late as January, I was still predicting an April/May release, so take this new prediction with a giant ass bag of rock salt.

I'd say September would be a good guess, though if Toady keeps up this pace we'll probably get maybe half the things on the list he has outlined. But I'm sure Toady's wallet won't allow him to delay the release much more than that.

Never have I thought Toady working alone was a problem. But we just had an entire month worth of simply putting things into the raws...and it's only about half done. Time consuming stuff like this has to be killer for Toady. I'd get pretty discouraged at it if I were him.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: May 31, 2009, 08:50:40 pm »

Never have I thought Toady working alone was a problem. But we just had an entire month worth of simply putting things into the raws...and it's only about half done. Time consuming stuff like this has to be killer for Toady. I'd get pretty discouraged at it if I were him.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but "putting things into the raws" requires much more than just text entry.  The raws have to be designed such that they can support prior functionality in a general way, and a lot of code has to be rewritten to accommodate the changes.  Which isn't to say that it's not discouraging.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: May 31, 2009, 10:44:55 pm »

I might be misunderstanding...

You read it too hard - he cleverly posted some blah blah that in fact was a post about how dismayed he is that there weren't more substantial updates this week...

/snarky

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: May 31, 2009, 11:39:55 pm »

I for my part wondered why the toad didnt use his days of. I mean he had the flu from the meetup so it would have been more then understandable that he couldnt work on DF. That he does instead work on DF in his freetime is huge donation to us and we shouldnt do snarky hidden comments.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: June 01, 2009, 05:58:10 am »

Um, DF isn't freetime.  It's kinda his job now, as Bay12 donations are his only income...

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: June 01, 2009, 07:28:07 am »

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but "putting things into the raws" requires much more than just text entry.  The raws have to be designed such that they can support prior functionality in a general way, and a lot of code has to be rewritten to accommodate the changes.  Which isn't to say that it's not discouraging.

Oh, indeed, that's sort of exactly what I meant. The raw changes aren't really hard, just time consuming, if I'm to understand Toady. This, as opposed to coming out with new changes and dealing with the new challenges they bring about, is more or less data entry and cleaning out obsolete code.

It's definitely not easy, but at the same time would probably be a better task to give to a few low level employees, you know? I wish Toady had such a luxury.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: June 01, 2009, 12:43:37 pm »

...a better task to give to a few low level employees...

Scamps totally sucks at typing.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1065