Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638595 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15540 on: March 27, 2010, 07:28:37 pm »

on the netbook is an image of a laptop and a netbook. the laptop is making a plantive gesture, the netbook is laughing.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15541 on: March 27, 2010, 07:58:20 pm »

Df has been getting fatal errors consistently after I updated from Vista to 7. Kind of a bummer.

Strange. That has nothing to do with either Windows 7 or DF I imagine. Must be your install or some other mysterious thing.

Anywho, Windows 7 runs DF perfectly on my little old laptop. Indeed, I don't notice that much of a difference (maybe 4-5 FPS on a mature fortress) between my laptop and my desktop running a stripped down version of XP.

You know, maybe my saves just got messed up when I carried them over from Vista to 7? Just downloaded again and it works.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15542 on: March 27, 2010, 08:17:46 pm »

Df has been getting fatal errors consistently after I updated from Vista to 7. Kind of a bummer.

Strange. That has nothing to do with either Windows 7 or DF I imagine. Must be your install or some other mysterious thing.

Anywho, Windows 7 runs DF perfectly on my little old laptop. Indeed, I don't notice that much of a difference (maybe 4-5 FPS on a mature fortress) between my laptop and my desktop running a stripped down version of XP.

You know, maybe my saves just got messed up when I carried them over from Vista to 7? Just downloaded again and it works.

I'm doing an upgrade, which leaves all your files and stuff intact, unlike a full custom install.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15543 on: March 27, 2010, 09:19:01 pm »

We've been using d19-2 on Windows 7 and it's been working fine.

You've not DF'd until you've DF'd on a 50" plasma. :D

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15544 on: March 27, 2010, 09:34:29 pm »

This is an artifact netbook. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is made of pink plastic and encircled with bands of chrome. On the item is an image of Intel Atom processor.
Now I want one twice as much, is this bad? How much did it set you back?

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #15545 on: March 27, 2010, 09:39:19 pm »

This is an artifact netbook. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is made of pink plastic and encircled with bands of chrome. On the item is an image of Intel Atom processor.
Now I want one twice as much, is this bad? How much did it set you back?

http://www.dynamism.com/#Product=umid

Not that much, really. There's two models, the M1 which is the basic, and the M2 which has a few more bells and whistles like a little trackpad and full-size ports (the M1 comes with mini-usb and mini-headphones, with adapters) I got the M1 for $450 before the M2 came out, but now the M1 is only $400 for the smallest harddrive size.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15546 on: March 27, 2010, 10:10:24 pm »

I've got fair-sized LCD screen as my computer. It's definitely no 50" plasma, but it's still pretty awesome to play DF on. Whenever I try to play DF on my laptop, it's just not the same XD
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15547 on: March 27, 2010, 10:47:15 pm »

I've got fair-sized LCD screen as my computer. It's definitely no 50" plasma, but it's still pretty awesome to play DF on. Whenever I try to play DF on my laptop, it's just not the same XD

I also have a 30" Dell, but I prefer the plasma. With the Dell I get too tempted to show as much of the fort as I can; with the plasma I accept the resolution and get absorbed in the local action.

Next trick is to run both so I can use dwarf the rapist and stone censored at the same time ...

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15548 on: March 27, 2010, 10:54:26 pm »

*Squints at 15" laptop monitor* 5x5 tileset could be better.

Also happy Earth Hour!

My family is in the kitchen watching TV, using the Power of Sunlight!!!
Solar Panel-Battery-Inverter-Electronics
Epic Combo.

I also have a 30" Dell, but I prefer the plasma. With the Dell I get too tempted to show as much of the fort as I can; with the plasma I accept the resolution and get absorbed in the local action.

Next trick is to run both so I can use dwarf the rapist and stone censored at the same time ...
I saw what you did.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15549 on: March 27, 2010, 11:04:28 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15550 on: March 28, 2010, 12:08:58 am »

That's the same as my laptop is on 4x4 embark. Except this is a full-size laptop running Vista 32-bit (on a 64-bit-capable processor) that apparently "would have cost $1400 but I got a big discount" (I didn't buy it).
If anyone's buying a new computer, I suggest you don't get a Sony Vaio.

running Vista
Well there's your problem. Vista sucks up just a ridiculous amount of memory. My laptop's got 4Gb of memory and it still takes up half of that. Makes all my games run a lot slower...

Vista is actually designed to run that way....it manages RAM in a MUCH different way and to see it take up that much memory is more than normal. As for games running slower that is usually an issue of the OS being a "heavier" OS. Which can be alleviated a fairly good amount by turning off some of the extra bells and whistles like the aero interface....and if losing that bothers you then your foolish because XP doesn't have it lol so downgrading wont change that aspect. Also Vista is a much better 64-bit platform which if you feel like running more than 3 GB of RAM without any issues at all....now if you have 32-bit Vista....then discard everything I just said because 32-bit Vista is a waste and your better off sticking with XP.

Vista (XP and Windows 7 as well) guide that covers how to optimize it (well written and professionally made...not some geeks magical concoction) => http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:19:29 am by dennislp3 »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15551 on: March 28, 2010, 12:42:01 am »

I just downgraded to XP this week. It's so much better. My computer came with Vista, and I put up with it for a long time because it was so much faster than my old one, despite how much memory and processing power the OS hogged. I haven't played DF on it yet (saving myself for the new version), but the performance of everything else I've tried has improved significantly.

I'm talking about upgrading to Windows 7, not downgrading.

@Monkeyfetus: My uncle dennis said that you have to pay if you want suppourt for XP or Vista.

Edit: The @ was in response to a different post, heh. Kept getting the warning a post has been made while you were typing thing as well.
Their problem center is so glitchy you probably had to pay before anyway. It was something like two issues could be submitted before they started asking for money but the page probably wouldn't load correctly yet it would tick away one of those.

Theres many reasons besides DF running better on Windows 7 to upgrade to it from Vista.

Anyways, thats what I kind of thought, that it was the computer rather than Windows 7.
The way you guys are talking about it hurts my brain. It is clearly not the computer if DF wasn't fatal crashing before the upgrade. You could claim it was drivers making it technically neither of those options but that's the only way out.

I'm doing an upgrade, which leaves all your files and stuff intact, unlike a full custom install.
I set up my windows installs with partitions so I can benefit from fresh windows without having to hunt down all the cobwebs and snakes in the registries and such.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15552 on: March 28, 2010, 02:19:56 am »

Whatever you say....

Anyways, I just ran DF on the new Windows 7 and while it doesn't seem much faster, it does seem to work more smoothly. FPS wise, I think the way I laid out my fort is inefficient pathing wise, somehow. Which is why it doesn't seem to be much faster. At least its not making the CPU usage ram against 100% like before.

The upgrading proccess kept giving me crap about the Trend Micro stuff initially, but I got that dealt with. Now just have to get used to the way it does the task bar stuff.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15553 on: March 28, 2010, 02:50:11 am »

Whatever you say....

Anyways, I just ran DF on the new Windows 7 and while it doesn't seem much faster, it does seem to work more smoothly. FPS wise, I think the way I laid out my fort is inefficient pathing wise, somehow. Which is why it doesn't seem to be much faster. At least its not making the CPU usage ram against 100% like before.

The upgrading proccess kept giving me crap about the Trend Micro stuff initially, but I got that dealt with. Now just have to get used to the way it does the task bar stuff.
If you aren't getting more fps why ISN'T it ramming against 100%? Shouldn't it try to in order to reach whatever cap you've set?

Also: You should really just copy the save file for a fort to eliminate extra variables. Knowing how the same fort runs on different configurations pretty much tells you if the computer is running it faster or slower without any room for doubt.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:52:08 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15554 on: March 28, 2010, 03:31:40 am »

Ideally once we have a stable-enough release, he'll be able to take a break. The poor guy's been working practically every day for like a year and a half. I hope my release day donation goes towards a day at the beach with a professional masseuse or something. Or a toy for Scamps.

I'm all for Toady getting a break. He deserves it.

I'm all for Scamps getting a toy.  He deserves it.

@Monkeyfetus: My uncle dennis said that you have to pay if you want suppourt for XP or Vista.

And your point is? No one uses Microsoft for support because it's so much faster to find a fix by using Google.  Microsoft is still releasing patches for XP, so if that's what he meant, that's just plain false.

And no one cares about Vista.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!
Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1065