Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Listen up you lazy sods!  (Read 6332 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Listen up you lazy sods!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 11:35:47 pm »

I could brew in my spare time.

Also, for bonus points on the wall, you could find a way to make it out of elves, and force the elven caravans through it  ;D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 12:13:14 am »

1st Hematit, 59, Early Summer

I woke up to the sound of those damn cats outside my door again, I swear to Armok that they plan this every morning the evil little bastards. Why I let Carpoco convince me that cats were a good investment I'll never know. Oh well, at least I get a little more pleasure out of making him dig the workshop wing. Who said manangement didn't have it's perks.

Filled with thoughts of cat genocide and unable to fall back to sleep I figured I might as well get up and finish the last of the beds I've been working on. I headed out the of the sleeping hall, still pondering the ramifications of cat euthanasia, and smelt a faint odor of rotten fish. Knowing who was coming around the corner I nodded a hello and held my breath as Crazy Joe headed out to get some fishing done. The bastards been smelling progressivly worse every day since I assigned him fish cleaning duty. It's gotten so bad that I've finally authorized the construction of that shack he's been rambling about since we got here just to get him out of the room so convenently place across from mine.

I made a quick left at the Main Hall and headed down the corridor with the intentions of a breakfast and maybe a drink. After all, carving beds isn't nearly as fun as it sounds without a little booze. I arrived at the door to the dining room and kicked some stone blocking the door out of the way. As to why we need a door here I'll never know, hell even the cats can get past them. Making my way through the threshold I took some time to take in the latest work done to the place. It's not a very cozy place at the moment, rock is everywhere and we've only got one chair compared to the 8 tables so everyone generally tries to eat fast and early to keep the others from eating on the ground. Though I really should talk to our resident masone Kyterra about the progress on the chairs.

And just my luck that the one chair in the freaking place was currently in use by Virkruss the resident gem cutter, glassworker and all around pain in my ass. Ever since we embarked he's dislike me with such a intense passion that if it were possible to hate someone to death I'd be more than a little worried. It doesn't help that he's probally in a bad mood since all he's been doing is hauling stuff to the store piles for the past season. "A grave wasted of talent" is what he calls it, I call it not having a damn glass furnace.

So avoiding eye contact with the dwarf sulking in the corner I head to the back of the dining hall and up the stairs to the food and booze stockpile. I've designated the first floor of the stockpile for food and the second level for booze to keep easier track on the supply level. Both are in good shape but I've got to remember to ask Dirtbeard how the first set of crops are doing. If I remember correctly I told him to plant cave carrots, sweet pods, plump helmets and some cave grapes. He'll probally be happy to tell that and more though as the man can start to ramble on the "Diversity of the many plants Armok blessed us with" when I just want to know if the damn crops are growing or not. Maybe if I get him some rarer seeds he'll ignore me more often....

Heading out the dining hall and avoiding mister grumpy pants still sitting in the corner sulking I started to walk the workshop wing passing Fireheart hauling a door on the way. While he's in the same boat as Virkrus with nothing to do but haul he does it with giving me the death stare so I tend to like the guy, even if he's a little distant. Maybe once we breach the magma pipe I was assured that was here and I get the magma forge set up he'll open up a little more.

After a minute walk and one almost fatal trip over all the damn stone laying around I finally get to the workshop wing. After popping in to check up on Kyterra (My savoir when it comes to removing all the damn stone) and telling her about the new order for doors I head up to the storage rooms above the workshops and grab a hunk of wood to get started on my days work. Maybe I'll actually get something done inbetween Carpoco's announcements of "We've struck another useless freaking rock". With a sigh and a groan I got to work, silently contemplating the thousands of things that need doing....

Well to recap
*I've got small 3 by 2 sleeping quarters dug for everyone with a bed, cabinet and coffer.
*I've got 4 3 by 3 fields each set up to produce a seperate plant. I intend to have this mostly used for brewing as I'm hoping the fishing industry will keep the food supplies up
*Virkruss your dwarf has developed a grudge towards me, no clue why XD
*I'm going to start exploratory mining for lava after I get everything settled so I hope to have a forge for glass and steel up before fall.
*This is my first time doing any sort of writing for DF so if you guys prefer I can ditch it and just do a review each season.
*Still excepting request for dwarves if anyone is interested, you're dwarf with be strictly devoted to his or her profession so all hauling will be done by unamed migrants. This also applies to the military, so I won't have one untill I get players who are interested in being soldiers
*Any suggestion are appreciated :)
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4401-urnpages
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:53:57 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 12:39:55 am »

I vote for keeping the current style of writing.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 12:42:50 am »

I vote for keeping the current style of writing.

Any criticisms?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:54:12 am »

a few typos, but otherwise I loved it. keep up the good work!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 12:57:53 am »

Looks good to me. I'd be happy with just a short update on things that happened. Story posts can be hard to come up with sometimes, and I'd rather have an update than not.

So, my suggestion is, keep updating and don't feel pressured to storypost if you don't feel like it :)
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 01:02:40 am »

No criticism here that weren't already pointed out.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 01:21:13 am »

Other than what the others have said, all I can add is just try your best, after all some seasons will give you plenty to write about, others nothing but finding more useless microcline.

Oh, my dwarf would have no problem leaving item and furniture hauling on, also if have no pressing masonry needs, she will do other jobs related to stone, but stone crafting only up till the start of the 2nd year. After that, its just masonry, and smoothing, untill engraving gets higher.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 01:29:08 am »

Oh, my dwarf would have no problem leaving item and furniture hauling on, also if have no pressing masonry needs, she will do other jobs related to stone, but stone crafting only up till the start of the 2nd year. After that, its just masonry, and smoothing, untill engraving gets higher.

Given the amount of stone laying around and my extreme OCD chances are your dwarf is going to be busy forever   ;D

Also the next update should be up tomorrow evening. I'll try to spend more than 15 minutes on it to reduce the horrid amount of typos. I'm thinking I might just write it in Word or something with a spell check.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 02:04:46 am »

Also the next update should be up tomorrow evening. I'll try to spend more than 15 minutes on it to reduce the horrid amount of typos. I'm thinking I might just write it in Word or something with a spell check.

I do that for all of my 'story' posts in other threads. Except I use Jarte, gives me spell check and some basic typing without all the fancy stuff word throws in.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 03:02:48 am »

Virkrus must have his glass furnace. He'll design and build it himself outside if he has to!
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 03:09:33 am »

I would like an immigrant. if that's okay. He will be your first full-time axedwarf, male, who is named Splenda. (he doesn't need an axe right away, just have him wrestle until the caravan comes)
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 06:11:11 pm »

a few typos, but otherwise I loved it. keep up the good work!
This.

I like having the recap and the story bit as well, but just write whatever you want to. =D
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 07:21:52 pm »

Don't have time to write anything more than a quick recap of a couple of events as I have a paper to write but here's the the quick 411. A story recapping the year will be up tomorrow.

*I've just found some warm rock and am now busy building the forge wing and preparing it for production, hopefully I'll not screw up and keep the fire imps out.

*Woos1 I'd like to know more about the shack you want. Do you want your dwarf living there or would you prefer just for when your dwarf fishes. Also I'm thinking I can either dig out your own personal pond out, yay or nay? And finally do you want it to be surrounded by a wall and link to the fort via a personal passage way leading to your room to keep Crazy joe safe from goblins later on or do you want to just him to rely on the stink to keep the goblins away.  ;D

*I've decided to use the glass Virkruss in going to start to produce to build a couple greenhouses for Dirtbeard once the industry gets start. Though I can already tell the food stockpiles are going to be needing expension soon.

*Finally I'd like to point out the I still need many professions so any players that would like to join in can. At the moment the idea is that unamed migrants will only be allowed to haul while named migrants have hauling disable and only their chosen profession turned on. Same goes for the military. So if any of you want to be our new mechanic or craftsdwarf please feel free to post. Hell I still need a brewer and I don't mind more than one of the same profession, like a mason. Just try to keep it at one skill only. Oh and of course you still get one request for your dwarf.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:01:34 pm by Smitehappy »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 09:54:53 pm »

if you drop a single tile of rock down the tube, every magma beast will fall unconscious and drop out of the world, even if they aren't hit. somehow the dust cloud can permeate magma and smash their heads.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4