Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water management, machinery demolition by siege engine  (Read 8146 times)

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water management, machinery demolition by siege engine
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:43:02 am »

Hi all,

Due to a gross engineering oversight, I managed to flood my young fortress by wanting to channel sourced water into an underground reservoir. It naturally overflowed and drowned the entire complex. 4 of 7 died, I abandoned.
Then reclaimed, and planned to build screw pumps powered by a water wheel. I wanted to pump out enough of the fortress to pop in a floodgate to stop the sourced water flow, then eventually drain my halls. Due to another misunderstanding of water pressure the pumps were aimed to dump water into an already full channel a z-level below, which they can't , so another flood resulted, now one Z-level higher, on the level of my one finished pump. I can't even shut it down, because it's powered by waterwheel and the emergency disconnect lever was built too close, and is now also under water.

I'm determined to tame the waters and completely reclaim that fortress. AND build a huge and secure waterfall to show off my dominion of the rivers. (Although the starting dwarves are most likely hydrophobic by now.)

Do you have expertise in dealing with sourced water flows? How much pumps are needed to offset a sourced flow?
Also, can siege engines destroy machinery? That water wheel must be stopped and I thought of shooting it down by ballista from remotely, if possible.

Thanks!
fox has become enraged!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water management, machinery demolition by siege engine
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:19:11 pm »

It's the sourced flow you want to fight for now

What manner of sourced water?

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:21:29 pm »

It is a brook, the very beginning of the brook where it forms from a number of 1-wide little brooklets.
fox has become enraged!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 02:22:01 pm »

I'm mostly sure that siege projectiles don't affect buildings.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 02:25:16 pm »

Well, it can't get much worse if you try destroying the river fingers entirely

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 03:23:03 pm »

I'd love to do that (I made up my mind that my dwarves DON'T mind changing the environment to their taste, so deforestation, strip mining etc. are all go. River destruction isn't much worse). How should I? Channel the brook tiles and drain'em?
fox has become enraged!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 06:08:31 pm »

(I made up my mind that my dwarves DON'T mind changing the environment to their taste, so deforestation, strip mining etc. are all go. River destruction isn't much worse).

Isn't vast environmental modification the only way to go?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 02:10:13 am »

(I made up my mind that my dwarves DON'T mind changing the environment to their taste, so deforestation, strip mining etc. are all go. River destruction isn't much worse).

totally sigged

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 02:13:58 am »

Well, not exclusively. You could go the environmental friendly way: only thinning trees instead of deforesting everything, depositing stones underground or melting them, refraining from extensive surface waterworks... your fortress might be just a tiny scar in an otherwise pristine wilderness instead of an industrial hellhole.

Too bad fire imps burnt down the vegetation near this fortress so between the flood, the ashes and the quarry, the wilderness isn't exactly the same...
fox has become enraged!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 03:25:22 am »

You could try and make an adventurer with several ranks in swimming, head back there, dive in and pull the lever for the second pump and see if that helps?

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 03:42:26 am »

You could try and make an adventurer with several ranks in swimming, head back there, dive in and pull the lever for the second pump and see if that helps?
Wow, what a dwarfy idea! I'll do this, and it can also be explained from a RP standpoint (the second, failed expedition's tales inspire a young hero to stop the unleashed machinery).

Now, last question: how to destroy water? My experiment failed because the pumped out water had nowhere to go. If I release it on a brook tile, will that rid of me of the flood?
fox has become enraged!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 11:26:27 am »

Yes.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 01:12:55 pm »

Too bad fire imps burnt down the vegetation near this fortress so between the flood, the ashes and the quarry, the wilderness isn't exactly the same...

It'll grow back. Wildfires are a good thing in the long run unless the forest is a thousand years old. And even then it's just a humie sentimental thing

Nickname your adventurer 'Trigger'
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:15:29 pm by Pilsu »

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:25:41 am »

I'm curious to hear how this turns out.

It's like a dwarven fairy tale after all, with water, careless contraptions and a lone hero trying to save the day, or drown trying.

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 09:49:04 am »

your fortress might be just a tiny scar in an otherwise pristine wilderness instead of an industrial hellhole.

That sounds pretty elvish to me, lad.
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!
Pages: [1] 2