Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inquiry: Reactions requiring levels of skill.  (Read 1758 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Inquiry: Reactions requiring levels of skill.
« on: January 07, 2009, 03:50:26 am »

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, and I don't quite know how to word a search for it, so if it's already been mentioned, I appologise, but anyway, here's the idea:

Certain reactions, and the creation of certain item types, could require a base level of general skill, in order to be available for use in your fortress.

This could perhaps be tracked by your fortress's "Guild Rating". The higher the guild rating for your fortress, in a given skill, the more options you'd have. This could also help introduce the idea of a "guildmaster".

Guild levels would be determined by *accumulated* experience, for all the dwarfs in your entire fortress. Living dwarfs would directly contribute their experience points towards the Guild's total.

Guilds might be formed when the total experience of all the dwarfs in your fortress, in a given skill, reached, say, 8100, since that's the experience required for 1 Professional in that skill. 12600 (Master) might raise it up to level 2, and 16100 (Grand Master) might raise it to 3, and so forth.

After 3, the accumulation of experience required to advance might become quite high, since we're talking about a pool of the entire fortress's accumulated knowledge of a given subject.

Higher levels might have a further requisite of atleast 1 Legendary dwarf in that skill, in order to advance to that level, with the assumption that part of the reason that dwarf is legendary in the first place, is that he/she invented complex process(s).

If a dwarf can read and write (another skill), they could continue to contribute their experience, even after they die, based on their level of reading/writing skill. To do this, you'd build a library, and each dwarf could then write a book about, say, cheesemaking, adding his/her cheesemaking wisdom to the accumulated Fortress lore. This would take time and resources, and books would only add experience based on whatever that dwarf knew when he/she wrote the book. New books could be written by the same dwarf, once they reached a new level of experience, but only the "best" book would count for that specific fortress.

The death of key dwarfs, or the destruction of your library, would subtract from your Guild Rating, and could be devastating to your fortress, atleast in the short term, encouraging the protection and care of all that powerful knowledge.

Other books could be written by your Guildmaster, on specific subjects, which would allow individual dwarfs to perform tasks that would be beyond their current Guild Level. So, you could have your Cheese Guildmaster describe how to make Munster (normally requiring Guild Level 2), and then you could sell it to another fortress. Or you could buy it from another fortress with a higher Guild Level. The book would then allow a dwarf *without* access to a level 2 Guild to make Munster cheese, but only that specific cheese, and only with the aid of the book, which would act as an extra tool required for the reaction (but which wouldn't be consumed).

The quality of these specific books might limit the quality of the goods produced-so if the Munster book is only Well Crafted, then other dwarfs reading the book wouldn't be able to make Exceptional Munster cheeses.

On the other hand, a dwarf who's only Proficient, but who can make Munster cheese, if that dwarf  reads a Masterwork book on the subject, might get a bonus.

This would not only make books your fortress produced quite valuable, it would also encourage book trade, and would make books very distinctive from engravings.

To give an example of how Guild levels would/could work: creating raw iron from iron ore probably wouldn't require a whole lot of knowledge. You beat on a chunk of rich iron ore with a sledgehammer, and eventually it turns into workable iron. A little knowledge, a little skill with a hammer, and background information might be necessary to do it well, but you could probably learn it in a week, tops, even without a supervisor.

No guild rating required for this task, just 1 dwarf with "Dabbling" skill. It's something all dwarf parents probably teach dwarf children before they're even potty-trained, anyway...

Creating a specific type of mosaic patterned steel, on the other hand, is a complicated process that requires a lot of supervision, and a lot of experience. It's partly art, and partly science. The first time you try it, even if you're being helped by someone who knows what they're doing, there's a good chance that you're not going to end up with an ideal product.

So, while almost anyone with a good strong build can be taught to make plain, soft iron, efficiently and well, it takes a lot of experience and a greater level of knowledge to make the patterned steel.

So making fine mosaic steel might require a Guild rating of 5, for example.

The same goes for more complicated goods. Brewing beer is fairly straightforward, whereas brewing an Imperial stout is a lot more complex, requiring more skill, and an accumulation of knowledge. It doesn't matter whether it's an "average" imperial stout, or a "masterwork" imperial stout. Without *some* skill in brewing beer, you're going to screw it up.

Being able to dictate the level of skill required to "open" a specific reaction for use would not only be interesting, but it would be a great way to balance more advanced materials and products.

It would also be thematic, since more advanced fortresses should be able to produce more advanced goods, due to an accumulation of skill over time, rather than just lucking out in finding raw materials, and these advanced products would make trade more interesting between fortresses, and give you the option to specialize.

Getting back to cheese (what? I like cheese), you might, for instance, found a fortress that has poor mineral worth, but really good grazing pasture. So you could raise cows, sheep, goats, camels, whatever, and make cheese to trade with other civs. So you set out to make a nice farmer's cheese, and you trade your farmer's cheese for iron, lumber, whatever.

Farmer's cheese only requires a single dwarf with "dabbling" skill.

Since cheese is your main export, you assign more and more dwarfs to making it.

After a while, your cheesemakers have accumulated enough skill and confidence to make feta cheese, which is a little more valuable, and can be made from goat and sheep milk, only.

This requires a Guild level of 1, and is an event that marks the formation of the "guild entity" itself.
At this point, though, it's little more than an informal club. It's basically a shared hobby.

Your cheesemakers become more knowledgeable, and after a while, you move on to Blue cheese.

Guild level 2--At guild level 1, your "guild" is an informal affair, and members meet at the local pub. Other people call them "cheesegeeks", and nobody pays them too much attention, but every cheesemaker knows every other cheesemaker, atleast by reputation, and they share knowledge openly.

So you make that, and trade it for weapons and armour, and maybe some copper for jewellery. Eventually, your cheesemakers have the skills necessary to make roquefort cheese, which is similar, but even more valuable than blue, and can only be made from sheep's milk, so you can only make small quantities of it, but it's valuable enough to trade for gold and silver.

Guild level 3--At guild level 3, they're gaining some respect in the community, they have rules and regular meetings, and it's time to build a guildhall.
At this point, your Guildmaster would actually be elected.

Finally, your Master Cheesemakers, after years of experimentation, are able to make Gorgonzola, which requires an elaborate process to make, involving cow's milk and specialized cheese cultures, and it needs to be aged in a cave, but that you can trade for gems.

Guild 4--The guild is a minor, but significant part of the fortress, and is starting to develope real economic power. It's forming alliances, establishing trade with other fortresses, and consolidating it's power. The guildmaster is a well-known, and respected member of the community, and people buy most of their local goods, from that guild.

At level 5, The economic power of the guild is firmly established, and it's goods are a vital part of the fortress's economic strength. The guildmaster is becoming more and more of a political position, and is well-known, even among the aristocracy.

Level 6. Your guildmaster will either be granted a noble title, or purchase one, and will promptly become as annoying as any other noble, making demands not only for his/her office, but on behalf of the guild itself. Assassinating the guildmaster is an option, but it comes with repercussions--you'll lose not only the guildmaster's accumulated experience, but (temporarily) their ability to write book guides, and the guildmaster *will* be replaced, sooner or later, unlike many other types of nobles.

Level 6 and higher guilds not only represent the increasing sophistication of goods, but also how renowned your guild is, how famous and desireable it's goods are, how far away it trades, and eventually, it will even have the power to enforce laws and standards on it's trade partners.

In this way, a skill that may seem very ordinary, or even unnecessary, like cheesemaking, with very humble beginnings, could eventually have a significant role in the history of your entire world, and shape the very character of your entire fortress.

One thing your Guild could do would be to claim origin of a specific product. This could require that a dwarf in your fortress produce a Masterwork of that product, before anyone else does.
For instance, if your fortress "Mountainbreaks" was the first fortress to produce, say, a Masterwork Stilton, it might at Guild Level 9 claim a "protected designation of origin", meaning that, from that point on, all 'Mountainbreaks Stilton' would be considered the original, "real" Stilton, and would be more valuable than anyone else's stilton-maybe +1 base value for all "original" goods.

This could work by adding +6 to the Guild Level needed to make a specific good. Since Stilton might require 3 Guild Levels to make it, by Guild Level 9, if yours was the first fortress to produce Stilton, then your Guild would have the political power, and the public renown, to enforce the claim that your fortress is the origin of all Stilton.

Artifacts-in certain cases-might preempt all that, so that by making the very first Artifact Stilton in the world, even if your Guild Level was only 3, you'd automatically get "origin" status for Stilton.

Ofcourse, not every single artifact produced would convey origin status, but it might be one effect an artifact *might* have.

Now, mechanically, the fortress's "guild level" is just the requirement for making the basic items. Levels of quality for specific items would still be determined as they currently are.

For they would be your masters.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Inquiry: Reactions requiring levels of skill.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:33:12 am »

I don't think your total-experience hivemind approach makes much sense.  It's not like 200 novices should be able to go all Captain Planet and form a grandmaster.  Conversely, if a task requires grandmaster level skill, any grandmaster should be able to do it, whether or not there's a crowd of useless novices filling the experience quota.

In addition, why would you use the accumulated experience of the fortress instead of the entire civ?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:36:49 am by Footkerchief »

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:20:17 am »

Requiring more than a minimum of skill in something for more advanced actions is a good idea. I agree with Footkerchief however, that a legion of dabbling smiths will not help you make Damascus steel scimitars.

As a minor quibble, some of your examples are a bit strange. Iron ore is not refined by hitting it with a hammer, you need to smelt the debris too. And that requires high temperatures, so it's actually more difficult than for example smelting copper and tin. Which is why the bronze age preceded the iron age. And that's in itself an argument for the basic premise: the knowledge of a civ is determined by the skill of its members.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:32:07 pm »

arguably, the bronze age ended during a shortage of tin and people were forced to use iron.

As far as skill levels, something modeling a master overseeing a group of apprentices could be used.

For example, a brewmaster determines the overall quality of the beer by checking it every few days, but any sap can haul the hops to the vat and dump it in.

Model by saying that in order for a reaction to be available, there is a minimum skill necessary for some dwarf with the labor assigned (but not necessarily the one who does it) and also a minimum skill for the dwarf that actually does the work.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 04:30:51 pm »

arguably, the bronze age ended during a shortage of tin and people were forced to use iron.

As far as skill levels, something modeling a master overseeing a group of apprentices could be used.

For example, a brewmaster determines the overall quality of the beer by checking it every few days, but any sap can haul the hops to the vat and dump it in.

Model by saying that in order for a reaction to be available, there is a minimum skill necessary for some dwarf with the labor assigned (but not necessarily the one who does it) and also a minimum skill for the dwarf that actually does the work.

Yeah, the requirement for a "Guild-level" might be that atleast 1 dwarf in the fortress have a certain minimum level of skill. I like that idea. I like the whole idea of supervision and dwarfs teaching other dwarfs, really, I just haven't noticed anyone creating what I'd consider an ideal model for it, yet.

And it's not that 200 novices add up to 1 grandmaster, it's the idea of 200 people with that skill, thinking about that skill, performing that skill, daydreaming about that skill (they're cheesemakers, they're bored) over time, all adding up to *one* of them inventing new processes/reactions. Not necessarily the single most skilled one, but one that happens to shout "Eureka!", and is then pelted with plump helmets until the other dwarfs come around to his/her idea.

It's an abstraction, representing a very vague idea of cumulative inspiration, but it's the best method I could come up with, for use within the confines of DF.

And I think it should absolutely be confined to individual fortresses, because some are going to be more backwards about some things than other fortresses are (especially at this civ level, and considering how "clannish" dwarfs seem to be), and this can then be rectified, over time, with the trade of books.

This also helps define individual fortresses as unique entities.

It's not intended to be very difficult to achieve lower guild-levels (1-3), and those lower levels are meant to encompass almost all-if not the entirety-of what's already in the game. This is-atleast currently-intended to be more of a modder's tool.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 04:38:43 pm »

There should be a few measures of the guild--highest experience of one member, experience of members at master and beyond, and total experience that come into play here
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:58:37 pm »

this is something I'd hate to see in dwarf fortress, I don't care if it's realistic or not, reactions take time if the operator of the smelter is a novice or dabbling and with my own mods if it's cluttered with 300+ items

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 05:27:13 pm »

this is something I'd hate to see in dwarf fortress, I don't care if it's realistic or not, reactions take time if the operator of the smelter is a novice or dabbling and with my own mods if it's cluttered with 300+ items

I'm not sure what you mean. This wouldn't affect the time involved for the reactions to happen, just whether or not they could actually happen for your fort, at it's current level of sophistication.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 10:23:43 am »

The chem class can make potasium nitrate if the teacher is walking them through it, but never could on their own...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 03:44:58 pm »

Yeah, I like this idea, but it needs more than a minimum level of total experience. Say, level 10 requires at least three legendaries, four at high master or higher, and ten at adept or higher, along with a skill total slightly higher than what you would need for just those 17 dwarves that would be filled if you either trained them beyond that skill or had several dwarves below the required skill level.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 03:50:39 pm »

The chem class can make potasium nitrate if the teacher is walking them through it, but never could on their own...

So yeah, *some* things they could figure out on their own (even without a teacher, if you lock a class of highschool kids in a chem lab for a year, it's reasonable to expext the ones that survive will probably learn *something*, if only out of boredom and desperation.), but you're right, some things they'd probably need a more advanced skill level to accomplish.

Which is good, and which gives a good reason to purchase higher level skills in more esoteric areas at the start of the game.

By the way, this is very much an idea in it's infancy, so I really appreciate the constructive input. I like to think it's a good idea, and that it could benefit the game, but it definitely needs some refinement to be at it's best, so thank you.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:00:38 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 04:07:39 pm »

Yeah, I like this idea, but it needs more than a minimum level of total experience. Say, level 10 requires at least three legendaries, four at high master or higher, and ten at adept or higher, along with a skill total slightly higher than what you would need for just those 17 dwarves that would be filled if you either trained them beyond that skill or had several dwarves below the required skill level.

Math is fun...  One easy way to increase the weight of higher skills is to square, cube, or worse the skill levels before adding them up

For squares:
Level 1 (dabbling) adds 1 point, but a level 10 (GrandMaster!?!?) contributes 100 points.

Squaring XP value (not level) seems the correct way to do this though...

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 06:21:09 pm »

Sorry, but I didn't actually read that whole thing. (sorry, it was too long :( ) Judging from other peoples responses, its based on whether or not you can smelt certain metals, or perform other crafts.
I, rather, think whether or not you can, say, smelt iron, is if anyone in the entire civ ever found out and spread the word.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 07:09:11 pm »

That's what I'm thinking, except that I think it should be more like "pyramids", in that you'd have have to have, say, a skilled dwarf overseeing (at the hypothetical "top" of) individual "blocks" of experience--for instance, you'd need 1 skilled dwarf + a total cumulative experience of 1000xp, adding up to one "block".

That might be enough for "Guild Level 1"

Different types of blocks could, for example, require a single grandmaster and 60,000 total xp.

So for a hypothetical "Guild Level 5", you'd need the 1 grandmaster, plus whatever amount and level of skilled dwarfs were required to achieve Levels 4, 3, 2, and 1. Say, maybe, 1 Skilled, 1 Professional, 1 Accomplished, and 1 Master, in addition to the 1 Grandmaster, and the *total* 60,000 XP.

Legendaries might be added separately to other "blocks", so that if you have only enough skill level for Guild 1, 1 Legendary would automatically raise you up to Guild 2. By Guild 5, it might take 3 Legendaries to raise you up to Guild 6. The xp of the Legendaries would still be added to your fortress total for that skill, but there wouldn't be a Guild Level that would require a Legendary.

They'd be kind of a bonus, since Legendaries would probably be too caught up in their individual projects to devote a lot of time to the Guild, but having 1 or several *in* the Guild would increase it's fame/renoun/reputation, regardless of the actually Guild infrastructure.

Infact, if all you have is a single Legendary skilled dwarf in cheesemaking, and no other cheesemakers, then you shouldn't even have a guild yet--but when you have the requirements for Guild 1, (1 separate skilled dwarf), you'd automatically advance to Guild 2.

Ofcourse, this would probably only be happen if all your other dwarfs who had that skill were killed, or if you only had one dwarf with that skill (in dabbling or whatever), and then they made an artifact.

It wouldn't matter, except for their xp total, what "level" of Legendary (1-5) they were, a Legendary 5 would just count as 1 Legendary.

You could, with libraries, have a "basic Guild level" that you'd never lose, even if all your dwarfs with that skill got killed, as long as the library remained. So that you might have a total "Guild level" of 5, but a "library level" in that subject, of 2.

Another fun thing that could be added to this would be the possibility of "lost processes". Certain reactions could be designated as "rare", in that there'd only be a percentage chance that they'd actually be discovered in your fortress, that you could add to the Raws. If, then, all your dwarfs with that skill were killed, and if your library were destroyed, or your fortress were just overrun and ruined, and your guildmaster never wrote a book on the subject (or the only copies were destroyed) a "rare" process might be lost, potentially forever.

Items made with "lost" processes could be considerably more valuable than more common ones, since no more would be available. This could hold true, even if the process were rediscovered at a later time, since the originals would have become famous/legendary, due to their scarcity.

Artifact items (or only certain ones) might automatically fall under this category, gaining a bonus to their base value.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 08:22:31 pm »

I personally don't think Legendary should be a requirement to level up guilds anyhow... not that leveling up guilds make sense.

The topic creator seems to have forgotten what a guild is... but let me sum it up for you

A Guild is basically a group that tries to ensure its member's buisness. They do this via illegal or legal activities.

So lets say a town had a Mason guild. Well if the Guild was worth a grain of salt you would be unable to be a Mason in that town unless you were part of that guild. If you attempted to you might find that none of the stonecutters will sell you stone, perhaps the guild made it a law that all buisnessmen require expensive licenses, heck maybe it is downright illegal to be a Mason who isn't in the guild. That is at best... Guilds weren't beyond vandalising your goods, smearing your good name, or even downright killing you.

Sure Some, it really is some, guilds did offer legitimate services that didn't involve making non-guild members miserable. Guilds often did the bribe/threat work for the government, They pooled money for escorts (Against bandits and Pirates), including that guilds often became money lenders in their own right who could fund your buisnesses.

Guilds don't research, their value is not based off of the skills of their members, and

Even as a fantasy guild this makes no sense. Oblivious depicted Guilds in some cases rather well... Notice how the Mage guild was able to make codified laws or how the Fighter's Guild slayed an opposing guild.

A guilds worth is its power to both make life miserable for those not in the guild and its ability to ensure buisness for its members. Sure it may not have any legendary craftsmen under its belt but that hardly matters when it has 80% of the population under its belt it doesn't matter.

That said a Legendary Craftsmen means a lot of gold and fame/infamy for the guild and can make it easier for the guild to gain power... Only competition really matters and guilds only have to compete with individual buisness, the government, and other guilds.

Edit Addition: Rereading what the topic creator wrote... he wasn't entirely off on guilds... but still they arn't based on ability.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:29:00 am by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2