Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Become a peasent  (Read 3688 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Become a peasent
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:49:28 pm »

Hello,
I have played Dwarf Fortress for a while and I absolutly love it.
congradulations on the succsess.
but anyways,
im shure you all have played the "Adventure Mode"
now I think its fun to be in a army and do quest but...
why dont we become a peasent like a miner or a fisherdwarf or a farmer? ???
I can be just like the "adventure mode" as long as you have a king,you are told to do pacific stuff like if you where a fisherdwarf you would be told somthing like...
go fish over there,or cook some fish.
im shure it would take a while but it would be fun to be given task just like you are giving taskes to your own dwarfs.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Become a peasent
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:51:44 pm »

Adventure mode will eventually allow you to not only have almost every skill but will also remove the need to travel from town to town to make a living.

So your days of a peasant will happen... Though if people will treat you as such I have no idea.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:52:47 pm »

Adventure mode will eventually allow you to not only have almost every skill but will also remove the need to travel from town to town to make a living.

So your days of a peasant will happen... Though if people will treat you as such I have no idea.

That would be so awesome. Take an adventurer and go and become really bad ass, with crazy killer stats. Travel to a part of the world where no one has ever heard of you (or even better, has heard of you exploits but won't recognize you) and become a simple cook or something. Then if/when something comes to terrorize the town you can pull out your old adventuring gear and beat nine kinds of hell out of it. Then go back to making pies.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:56:28 pm »

What kind of pies?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 05:00:59 pm »

Justice pies. Great justice pies.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 05:25:18 pm »

Heh. For great justice pies.

The main problem with this, from a gameplay standpoint will be making work actually fun, which shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, I mainly posted for the joke.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 06:14:04 pm »

Most of the advantages of being able to do fortress jobs in adventure mode would point to effectively living a "hermit" challenge and making a one-man fortress; fishing for yourself, digging out your own space, building and engraving a small tower, perhaps even mining down to HFS and conquering it single-handedly.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 06:29:58 pm »

Isn't ti supposed to be when you do your job, it's like sleeping or something?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 06:38:03 pm »

That would be so awesome. Take an adventurer and go and become really bad ass, with crazy killer stats. Travel to a part of the world where no one has ever heard of you (or even better, has heard of you exploits but won't recognize you) and become a simple cook or something. Then if/when something comes to terrorize the town you can pull out your old adventuring gear and beat nine kinds of hell out of it. Then go back to making pies.

Hmmm.....I swear that there is a game with a system like this. I just don't remember that which game it is. It's an old RPG IIRC.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:41:28 pm by Tormy »

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 06:45:31 pm »

Yeah. Adventurer mode would rule if you were a mook dwarf in a fortress. Be a poor Hunter, and try to wrestle a wolf to death.

Or be a Hammerdwarf and sit behind the fortifications... Then someone collapses a ceiling on you for no good reason.

I'm not kidding. This needs to be implemented. XD

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 06:47:27 pm »

I do think that for some professions you should be able to extrapolate time and effectively fast forward with a few extra options here and there. (Like skip time a month or season as if you worked, lived, and ate in that time period)

Especially since life as a chef played out at a day by day basis would drive me insane!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 09:13:54 pm »

You wouldn't have to live those lives though, you could still be McAdventure shorts whenever you wanted.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:08 pm »

I do think that for some professions you should be able to extrapolate time and effectively fast forward with a few extra options here and there. (Like skip time a month or season as if you worked, lived, and ate in that time period)

Especially since life as a chef played out at a day by day basis would drive me insane!

Hell, I would like to be a noble. Then I get to have people beaten savagely.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 10:14:12 pm »

This would be epic. Be a hunter out hunting for the king, when an ambush comes. Run back to the castle, trolls are smashing in doors and houses are on fire, unsure of what to do and who can protect you.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

Hell, I would like to be a noble. Then I get to have people beaten savagely.

I'd rather make mandates and let the hammerdwarf administer punishment.  Muahaha!
Pages: [1] 2