Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone tried this challenge?  (Read 1254 times)

ravanous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Anyone tried this challenge?
« on: December 21, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »

A fortress with no military (besides, like, dorf control military.. you know, making sure failed moods don't make a dorf go berserk and slaughter everyone)

The fort would survive all of its sieges and ambushes by sheer traps.  Traps everywhere, of every kind... Draw bridges, floodgates, the outside of the map covered in stone fall traps.

I've never had anything besides goblins ambush me, so I don't know if traps start to become useless when harder monsters come along... but this sounds fun.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried this challenge?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:27:43 pm »

you might find that such a challenge could wind up being disappointingly easy.

Traps are much easier to use for defense than soldiers are.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:55:33 pm »

Except if you piss off the humans, their armies can avoid your traps if they have seen them before.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 10:59:18 pm »

The solution to that is obviously over-engineered cave-in traps involving levers and support beams.

Not that I'd know anything about that. >.>
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 11:52:46 pm »

Except if you piss off the humans, their armies can avoid your traps if they have seen them before.

I think it only works if the diplomat (not the liaison) saw them, though I'm not totally sure. In any case, simply deconstructing them and then rebuilding them works just fine if you have reason to believe they might attack you.

The no military challenge is pretty easy, in fact I usually don't bother with a military until later on anyway, and even then I usually let the traps kill most of the enemies and just use my soliders to finish off the runners. Traps don't eat/sleep/drink/attend party so they are much, much more reliable and they are just as deadly as a champion who has trained for years.

The only problem is kobolds who will sometimes ambush you if they steal enough stuff. Fortunately, kobolds are pathetic being small and weak and only having copper equipment so if nothing else you can mob them with untrained peasents and still have minimal losses.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:13:42 am »

Accually I was thinking of putting a few bridges in my courtyard or outside of it to fling gobs that are there. I've got a tower on my current map (recently finished tower I might add) that goes up to the top of the map and I can drop enemies from it via a few retracting bridges and pitting gobs. I'm curious to see if falling things will hurt the guys on the ground.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:23:17 am »

The solution to that is obviously over-engineered cave-in traps involving levers and support beams.

Not that I'd know anything about that. >.>

If this is legally part of the 'challenge', then I guess I've won it.

Several times.

Over and over.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 12:24:29 am »

To the OP, you have your logic backwards, traps only isn't a hard challenge.

a NO TRAPS challenge on the other hand, is of a suitable difficulty, and is well-known. Hell, pretty much every fort i play nowadays is a no traps fort.

Traps make everything too easy, alot of people, including myself, feel that traps should be revised so they aren't as overpowered.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:03:42 am »

Traps make everything too easy, alot of people, including myself, feel that traps should be revised so they aren't as overpowered.

Only well-made traps.

Let me tell you, having several crappy deathtraps is amusing. Oh, proud you survived the pit of spikes? Eat magma! Escaped the magma? THOUSANDS OF DOGS!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 02:11:41 am »

The only times I use weapon traps, I load them with one weapon each.

For cage traps, reserved for exotic animals.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 07:48:50 am »

To the OP, you have your logic backwards, traps only isn't a hard challenge.

a NO TRAPS challenge on the other hand, is of a suitable difficulty, and is well-known. Hell, pretty much every fort i play nowadays is a no traps fort.

Perhaps, but are you including drawbridges, floodgates, and lock/unlocking doors in your no traps build?  Funneling the enemy into your army isn't much better than caging them all and killing them in an arena.  Now if you left your fort completely open, that would be different.  I know I'm not ready yet for that challenge.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:05:49 am »

Hi!

Personally, I always use only traps because they are more reliable than a military. However, there are a few aspects that are important for their efficiency:

1. Walls

2. Stopping Looting

These two aspects actually make or break your traps-only fortress (provided the foe does have archery units - if there is only melee, than no problems).

Traps only could be a challenge if you added a few challenge rules:

* Food production based solely on surface fishing and/or surface farming or plant gathering. Hunting is also allowed.

* No removal of natural ramps

* No digging of channels (directly or indirectly) on the surface.

* No building of connected walls. You could have a single pillar, but the surrounding 24 tiles would need to be free of any obstacles.

* A surface trade depot only

Without any walls, foes with bows and so on do pose a great threat. Farms and trade depots are good to lure dwarves onto the surface, requiring fast and good management. And natural ramps are always a pain in your defenses.

Actually, I am wondering how the experienced players would deal with such a non-military, specially limited trap challenge.

Deathworks

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 10:41:57 am »

A fortress with no military (besides, like, dorf control military.. you know, making sure failed moods don't make a dorf go berserk and slaughter everyone)

The fort would survive all of its sieges and ambushes by sheer traps.  Traps everywhere, of every kind... Draw bridges, floodgates, the outside of the map covered in stone fall traps.

I've never had anything besides goblins ambush me, so I don't know if traps start to become useless when harder monsters come along... but this sounds fun.

Yeah, but you call this a challenge? Couple of traps are killing the vanilla dragons even....If you want to have a real challenge, only use your military. No traps, no moats, no defense mechanisms.  ;)