Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373711 times)

Greedish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could anyone help me with setting up the init.txt and installing Mayday? Thanks :)

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile

FPS is locked at 100FPS in graphical mode. Is this intended?
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that's an init option.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile

I know the game is about finding some things on your own, but any clue as to where that might be? :P

I have G_FPS_CAP set to 500 as well as FPS_CAP but it is locked at 100FPS. A solid 100FPS, but people have been saying they get 5000 FPS.
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile

Okay, switched to 40d11 and didn't replace the old init.txt this time  :P

Framerate during play with the same fort as before hasn't changed; framerate while paused/at main menu is down to 830ish from the previous 1000+ oddly.

I left the default graphics settings alone, other than changing G_FPS to 30 (it was 50 in the previous version, so I figured my computer was fine with it?) and configuring it to use the tileset I've been using.

Edit: Bumping G_FPS back up to 50 restored the menu/pause FPS to its original rate. Gameplay FPS is still 25-35, although again, this fort has a lot of dwarves, a lot of animals, traders currently present, water, magma, temp and weather are on...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:28:37 pm by InsanityPrelude »
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile

Question for whoever's building the linux binary: are you *really* using libtiff v4.0 alpha?  Or are you using 3.something and your distribution is playing games w/ the soname?  It can make a huge difference: other distributions will have a libtiff version 3.8.2 or so called 'libtiff.so.3', which you can just symlink to 'libtiff.so.4' and everything will be fine; but may have libtiff 4.0.0a called 'libtiff.so.4' which is a completely different library.

(I did the symlink workaround and it seems ok so far, so either it's not using libtiff all that heavily or it really wants a libtiff v3 library.)

Toady's doing the Linux build, using a recent Ubuntu release (don't know which one). I guess the proper thing to do would be using something like CentOS or Debian Stable. I'll have a poke around with BC, and see what I can see regarding the dependencies.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know the game is about finding some things on your own, but any clue as to where that might be? :P

I have G_FPS_CAP set to 500 as well as FPS_CAP but it is locked at 100FPS. A solid 100FPS, but people have been saying they get 5000 FPS.
G_FPS_CAP is how many times per second the game should try to draw things to the screen.  The average human eye operates at about 40FPS.  Many video cards have a Vertical Synch lock that prevents any redrawing from exceeding the monitor refresh rate.  I think the highest refresh rate I have ever seen for a monitor is 120Hz.  Hertz means "cycles per second" which is a more general way of saying "frames per second".

It is not recommended to set the G_FPS_CAP above 50.  Because the graphic are ASCII and tile based the changes from one frame to the next have a large amount of granularity.  Motions are not animated on a per pixel basis, and each movement has a small period of being stationary at a given location.  This is very conducive to a graphics frame rate of 10-20Hz.  The rate at which the eye and occiptal lobe process data is sufficiently faster than the rate at which the rest of brain can consume it, that it may even appear to be fully animated for some people at a G_FPS of 10.

I am guessing you raised both numbers at the same time, and that your graphics software activated the VSynch cap even though it is requested off by default.  Drop your G_FPS_CAP back to the 20 default and you should see the FPS for the game pick right up.

I would apologize for FPS meaning "game frames per second" and G_FPS meaning "graphical frames per second", but it just sort of developed that way.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile

G_FPS_CAP is how many times per second the game should try to draw things to the screen.  The average human eye operates at about 40FPS.  Many video cards have a Vertical Synch lock that prevents any redrawing from exceeding the monitor refresh rate.  I think the highest refresh rate I have ever seen for a monitor is 120Hz.  Hertz means "cycles per second" which is a more general way of saying "frames per second".

It is not recommended to set the G_FPS_CAP above 50.  Because the graphic are ASCII and tile based the changes from one frame to the next have a large amount of granularity.  Motions are not animated on a per pixel basis, and each movement has a small period of being stationary at a given location.  This is very conducive to a graphics frame rate of 10-20Hz.  The rate at which the eye and occiptal lobe process data is sufficiently faster than the rate at which the rest of brain can consume it, that it may even appear to be fully animated for some people at a G_FPS of 10.

I am guessing you raised both numbers at the same time, and that your graphics software activated the VSynch cap even though it is requested off by default.  Drop your G_FPS_CAP back to the 20 default and you should see the FPS for the game pick right up.

I would apologize for FPS meaning "game frames per second" and G_FPS meaning "graphical frames per second", but it just sort of developed that way.
Ah-ha! That got it!

I get a nice 4000-5000FPS with G_FPS_CAP:50 and FPS_CAP:10000 with PRINTMODE:Standard.

And when PRINTMODE:Partial:50 it drops back down to 500 or so. Well, I don't understand it all but it sure makes for a smoother fortress!

I'll max this one out with dorfs and animals, just to see what it does.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure what the differences are between 40d9 and this one that would break the non-QWERTY keyboards.  I guess that's a new project.

What method are you using for keyboard handling? If it's acting like qwerty that means it's (somehow) pulling in scancodes instead of VK codes.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Baughn,

I posted a loooong time ago about this, in this thread, probably about version 40d6 or somewhere around there. It was before you fixed whatever that irritating problem was that was eating everybody's GFPS for breakfast (I forget what it was).

So now I tried 40d10, got confused by the new formatting of the partial print parameters, and tried a bunch of combinations.

None of them worked! D:

On the old version, I recall a partial print:0 working fine with the single buffer. Now that doesn't seem to work, and no other combinations seem to work either (except Standard, obviously). Whenever I try to use non-Standard print methods, I get flicker like crazy, even if I set the partial print number really high while using that.

Anything I should know about?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Hey Baughn -- the OP still points to 40d10.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Hey Baughn,

I posted a loooong time ago about this, in this thread, probably about version 40d6 or somewhere around there. It was before you fixed whatever that irritating problem was that was eating everybody's GFPS for breakfast (I forget what it was).

So now I tried 40d10, got confused by the new formatting of the partial print parameters, and tried a bunch of combinations.

None of them worked! D:

On the old version, I recall a partial print:0 working fine with the single buffer. Now that doesn't seem to work, and no other combinations seem to work either (except Standard, obviously). Whenever I try to use non-Standard print methods, I get flicker like crazy, even if I set the partial print number really high while using that.

Anything I should know about?

In the new version, there's been some work to avoid it being possible to set option combinations that make no sense.

The options that worked for you before should now be as follows (tell me if this doesn't work):
[PRINT_MODE:PARTIAL:0]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:YES]
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

OK

I've downloaded 40d11 from page 1 of this post

Installed it

Ran it without changing any init options - didn't run (I don't get the query for run fullscreen yes/no)

Ran it with [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:YES] - same, didn't run

Ran it with [PRINT_MODE:PARTIAL:0]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:YES] - same

Ran it with [PRINT_MODE:PARTIAL:1]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:YES] - same

Now, I don't have any idea what exactly those values do, I just tried some, I'm not a programmer.

Dwarffortress.exe IS running as a process however, in all those cases. At max CPU.
It's only not visible / accesible as an application.
There is no errorlog, only gamelog.txt with a  '***starting new game***' for every time I tested dwarffortress.exe.

I'm running Winows XP SP3 on a:
Fujitsu Siemens 'Amilo'
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50, MMX, 3DNow
   (2CPUs) ~1.6 GHz
Memory 894Mb RAM
ATI Radeon Express 1100 , 128Mb

All in all, a pretty standard laptop.

Someone, please help me get this running.. I wanna help test too..
 Never had any problems running normal DF.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't sufficiently tested 40d11, however I do have an anomaly that I met with in 40d10. Wherein the first wagon in the dwarven autumn caravan hot rods in and out of the map. (only the first one, other ones normal speed.)

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1209-40d10fastwagonanomaly

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I haven't sufficiently tested 40d11, however I do have an anomaly that I met with in 40d10. Wherein the first wagon in the dwarven autumn caravan hot rods in and out of the map. (only the first one, other ones normal speed.)

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1209-40d10fastwagonanomaly

This bug has been lingering around for a while and isn't unique to the 40d# releases.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 147