Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373775 times)

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #915 on: February 16, 2009, 11:45:52 am »

Turned Dwarwen Economy Off, weather off, temperature off, and room rent set to zero. At 208 dwarves, got 50-60 fps with spikes to 80-90 (when 70 or so idlers).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 16, 2009, 07:08:08 pm »

Oddly everytime i minimize df the computer freezes and won't respond to anything I do other than shutting it down and starting it back up.

running with

Microsoft Xp Service pack 2

Mobile Amd sempron
processor 3100+
1.80 ghz, 960 mb of ram

Sounds like a driver related OpenGL problem to me.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 16, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »

Oddly everytime i minimize df the computer freezes and won't respond to anything I do other than shutting it down and starting it back up.

running with

Microsoft Xp Service pack 2

Mobile Amd sempron
processor 3100+
1.80 ghz, 960 mb of ram

Sounds like a driver related OpenGL problem to me.

You may be right, moved the game over to my desktop and everything seems to be working fine.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

xadism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AND DARWIN
« Reply #918 on: February 16, 2009, 11:55:52 pm »

... is this the way the game is supposed to have worked all along?  ~5x speedup for me across the board, but I can't say exactly because the released mac version doesn't report FPS.  But it's FAST.  Like I've never seen.

Mac OS X version.  40d9.
Macbook Pro 17", 2.6 Ghz Intel C2D.
OS X version 10.5.6
DFG graphics installed

I have a year 3 fortress with 67 dwarves.  The game is moving way faster than I have ever seen, even compared to a 3x3 location immediately after embark.   Whether focussed on my main level with 40 dorfs onscreen, or on the nearby river, or the swirling magma pipe, I'm getting 70-100 FPS.

But the dwarves on my screen right now are moving about 8-10 squares per second.   On the released 40d, it was 2 squares per second. Now I understand when people said that a year runs in about an hour of realtime.   It used to take me a week to play a year!

This has made me interested in actually playing DF again...

Not all the DFG graphics are showing up right (some of the dwarves are one-color silhouettes instead of pretty pictures), but I'll have to go check if my tilesets are installed correctly, I did it kind of quickly.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AND DARWIN
« Reply #919 on: February 16, 2009, 11:59:19 pm »

... is this the way the game is supposed to have worked all along?  ~5x speedup for me across the board, but I can't say exactly because the released mac version doesn't report FPS.  But it's FAST.  Like I've never seen.

Mac OS X version.  40d9.
Macbook Pro 17", 2.6 Ghz Intel C2D.
OS X version 10.5.6
DFG graphics installed

I have a year 3 fortress with 67 dwarves.  The game is moving way faster than I have ever seen, even compared to a 3x3 location immediately after embark.   Whether focussed on my main level with 40 dorfs onscreen, or on the nearby river, or the swirling magma pipe, I'm getting 70-100 FPS.

But the dwarves on my screen right now are moving about 8-10 squares per second.   On the released 40d, it was 2 squares per second. Now I understand when people said that a year runs in about an hour of realtime.   It used to take me a week to play a year!

This has made me interested in actually playing DF again...

Not all the DFG graphics are showing up right (some of the dwarves are one-color silhouettes instead of pretty pictures), but I'll have to go check if my tilesets are installed correctly, I did it kind of quickly.

Take off the FPS cap and see how high you can get.

I've been stress-testing various embark types, and can get at least 2 tiles of MAJOR river running at ~100 with no problems at all. 'Course, that's not counting what'd happen with more dwarves...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

xadism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AND DARWIN
« Reply #920 on: February 17, 2009, 12:25:23 am »

Take off the FPS cap and see how high you can get.

I've been stress-testing various embark types, and can get at least 2 tiles of MAJOR river running at ~100 with no problems at all. 'Course, that's not counting what'd happen with more dwarves...

With the cap off, I'm averaging around 100FPS (dropping to 80 and peaking to 140).  This is on a 5x5 location with a brook cutting through 4 of the tiles, and 67 dwarves.

Oh, and I fixed my tileset problem.   I had installed the tilesets in data/art, but not the files in raw/graphics.   All is good now, and things are more than fast enough to make DF really interesting again.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:41:15 am by xadism »

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 17, 2009, 02:24:08 pm »

it doesn't work for me in Ubuntu jaunty.
i had it running under intrepid

i tried setting no no no in the init file there is no difference in the error.

~/df_linux_d9$ ./df
SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER failed
SDL initialization failure: GL_GetAttribute not supported

output of glxinfo
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 18, 2009, 03:07:57 am »

Right, something in either SDL or your 3d drivers is broken.

Do any other 3d-using programs work?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 19, 2009, 07:06:33 am »

Alright, I just tried it a little more indepth:

PRO: It's definitely faster, 5-6 times faster actually oO Kudos!

CON: It's screws up the controls for some weird reason.  I AM on a laptop but the original DF (40d) worked flawlessly. So I tried reassigning the bindings without success. I have to hold down a "Fn" key to use numpad +,-,* and / and they register as such in the list but I still can't use them ingame. Another oddity I noticed was that as I assigned < and > to go up & down in Z-level, it worked but it listed ',' instead of > for down.
EDIT: Forgot to mention, hotkeys are odd as well. F1 defaults to the wagon when you first embark,right?Here it takes me to the middle of nowhere and I had to scroll around like a madman to find it again. I also can't change them because the +,- issue.

Dunno if the control thing has been described before but comeon, there's been 62 pages of this stuff you couldn't find a tentacle demon hiding inside. Time for a FAQ post on page 1/separate topic or something?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:08:33 am by Hellfish »
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 19, 2009, 08:56:52 am »

I have no idea about the F1 thing - works fine here, and if it invokes the correct command at all it should work the same as in 40d - but as for keyboard support in general, it's more than a bit broken for non-US non-QWERTY keyboards.

There are architectural reasons for this.. not that it can't be fixed, but I don't have a non-US keyboard to test on, the problems don't seem to be as severe on Linux anyhow, and there are patches pending with toady for a 40d10 that might fix it anyhow.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 19, 2009, 09:00:11 am »

It's non-US QWERTY minus the numpad ofc. I just find it weird that vanilla 40d works fine  ???
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 19, 2009, 02:10:35 pm »

Right, something in either SDL or your 3d drivers is broken.

Do any other 3d-using programs work?

yep, every opengl program i have tried has worked.
i also tried mplayer with the -vo sdl, -vo -gl and -vo gl2 switches. mplayer worked fine.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 19, 2009, 02:22:57 pm »

I don't suppose you're using multiple screens?

Actually, please post /var/log/Xorg.log for me

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 19, 2009, 03:46:14 pm »

nope no multiple screens

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Andy Korth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 19, 2009, 04:30:29 pm »

I've also noticed modifier key issues on the Mac version of the latest build. You have to hold the shift key for a brief amount of time before pressing the arrow key, for example. Otherwise it just doesn't register it immediately. I vaguely recall that being a problem with SDL in some of our projects.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 147