Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373493 times)

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #615 on: January 05, 2009, 12:29:10 am »

@Phantasma: Theoretcally it shouldn't I think, but I won't speak in absolutes because someone will come along with some rigorous testing with a 5 fps difference or something. Why don't you try, and let us know how it comes out for you?

@penguinofhonor: Platform, specs, init.txt settings (the graphical ones in particular) please.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:20:41 am by bhelyer »

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 05, 2009, 12:50:08 am »

I have a keyboard issue. When I hold up (or down) key to move the cursor vertically, it moves just fine, then press left (or right) key and it starts moving diagonally, but as soon as I release the latter, the cursor just stops. Even though I'm still holding up (or down).

Same problem repeats with keys H, K, U, M (which move the embark rectangle on the corresponding screen).

Hope you get it. I may be bad at explaining.
I didn't have this problem in 40d. Otherwise, 40d7 runs just fine, and A LOT faster.

Edit: Not sure if it is a known issue. The recent dev log does mention something about scrolling and cursor keys. Anyway, will try to get used to it until it's fixed.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:40:11 am by Murphy »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 05, 2009, 02:47:42 am »

You're right about the keys, but it was that, or risk the sticky keys bug from 40d. Which would you rather have, a requirement to re-press the scroll keys, or scrolling you can't turn off?

Well since I didn't have that problem with 40d, I'd go for the one that didn't affect me. ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 05, 2009, 08:34:38 am »

Penguinofhonor:

There are *no* graphical changes in d7 vs. d6, only a change to fix a timer bug, plus the non-US keyboard thing. If you're having graphical problems, and you didn't before, that's a misconfiguration somewhere.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 05, 2009, 01:24:28 pm »

Tried 40d7 with an old fort of mine and got exactly the same FPS as with 40d. No change with Partial Print or frame buffer.
AMD Athlon 64 x3 dual core 4600+ 2.41HGz, 2,00GB Ram
NVidia GeForece 7950 GT.
Any Setting one can change to get this acclaimed boost some seem to have?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 05, 2009, 02:02:29 pm »

Nope. Your drivers already dealt with DF fine, I guess.

No boost for you.

DFD

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dabbling Fortress Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 05, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »

I tested 40d7 (on 64bit Vista, proc. C2D E8400 and radeon 4850) and it worked slightly faster than 40d. Changing single buffer and frame buffer settings hasn't affected speed much. Turning partial print on made gameplay faster, but I get the same problem as with 40d, where some screens flicker.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 05, 2009, 05:11:33 pm »

I see two issues in .40d7 which have not yet been mentioned:

• The game doesn't stop chewing through processor cycles when minimized.
  • The V visualization doesn't work: it leaves artifacts on the screen, and the view doesn't match what shows up in .40c and .40d.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 05, 2009, 05:29:02 pm »

I tested 40d7 (on 64bit Vista, proc. C2D E8400 and radeon 4850) and it worked slightly faster than 40d. Changing single buffer and frame buffer settings hasn't affected speed much. Turning partial print on made gameplay faster, but I get the same problem as with 40d, where some screens flicker.

If neither of the framebuffer settings change anything and the screen still flickers with them, then they probably aren't taking effect at all, fyi. If you still get flicker with partial print, try changing the number after PARTIAL_PRINT to something higher than 0, assuming the framebuffers aren't working. You may or may not have to change it to something relatively high, but don't go nuts.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 05, 2009, 05:34:26 pm »

I don't think that the graphical settings matter since it goes crazy as long as partial print is on.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1520. It tells me I have an Intel Core Duo CPU with both 1.5 GHz and 950 MHz of whatever (presumably on the first and second core), and 1.99 GB of RAM.

With the following settings on a clean install with nothing else altered in init.txt, when selecting options for the title screen, previous options that I selected flash white:
[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:0]
[FRAME_BUFFER:YES]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:NO]
[G_FPS_CAP:20]
These are the recommended settings, I believe. Trying the same thing with FRAME_BUFFER off causes the same problem, but the title screen lags. Doing it with both buffers on freezes the game. Doing it with just SINGLE_BUFFER causes the game to open up as some buggy looking blocks that aren't supposed to be there and freeze like that.

Using G-Flex's suggestion, I used the same settings as above but only changed PARTIAL_PRINT. With it at 1, it still flickers. With it at 5, same thing. At 10, it... worked. What? It didn't work when I did it before, but now it works. I guess I messed something else up in my init file earlier.

It's now noticeably faster than 40d6.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 05, 2009, 05:40:58 pm »

• The V visualization doesn't work: it leaves artifacts on the screen, and the view doesn't match what shows up in .40c and .40d.

Both of these are caused by problems deeper in DF. I'd love to fix them, but I don't have the code. *shrug*

You'll probably have better luck on (2) if you turn framebuffer off. I know it *used* to work, in earlier 40ds, but it's hardly a surprise that I've broken it.

Murdochi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 05, 2009, 05:52:52 pm »

Anyone managed to get the Linux version to look utterly awful?  It's just a bunch of really dark red corrupted characters where everything should be.  The sound is fine, just the graphics are completely screwed.  I tried taking a screenshot but it just came out almost pitch black!

This is on Ubuntu 8.10 amd64. 

edit - and whenever it quits, Ubuntu completely crashes.  If anyone needs any more information I can dig it up.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:06:10 pm by Murdochi »

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 05, 2009, 06:39:45 pm »

My characters are corrupted for a moment when I move the window, or minimize it or whatever, but it quickly rights itself. Try playing with the PARTIALPRINT FRAMEBUFFER and SINGLEBUFFER options.

Also Baughn, that crashing has stopped with d7. Pretty intensive playing, and it hasn't come down once. Beats me.*shrugs*

Murdochi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 05, 2009, 06:47:35 pm »

Weirdly enough I disabled compiz and it's working fine.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 05, 2009, 07:04:37 pm »

Both of these are caused by problems deeper in DF. I'd love to fix them, but I don't have the code. *shrug*

You'll probably have better luck on (2) if you turn framebuffer off. I know it *used* to work, in earlier 40ds, but it's hardly a surprise that I've broken it.
1- Why would it stop running if minimized? I know I'e done that (Accidental hermit-on-a-glacier, waiting for immigrants with a bunch of stuff queued...)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 147