Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New building: guard post  (Read 2147 times)

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New building: guard post
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:40 am »

Something like a gate with guards: requires guards to operate; only lets certain dwarves pass (as in workshop profile); with no guards the gate's closed.
Most useful to only let your woodcutters and haulers outdoors, but I can think of other applications too.

thought of it just now when a whole bunch of mah dwarves wanted to take a break OUTSIDE even tho there were goblins all over the place.

Also, dwarves "run away" AI sucks. They LOVE to corner themselves.

Edit: I guess I named it poorly, I'm not all that good at engrish. Searched the forum but in similarly named topics there are actually completely different suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:57:26 am by n2 »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: New building: guard post
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:56:47 am »

Good idea, I like it. This would solve the "stupid dwarf goes outside...player: ARGHHH noes!" problem.  ;D

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 08:57:16 am »

I think this, or suggestions to this effect, has been brought forward a number of times before. Still it is a good notion and at least a temporary solution to the sucky AI for military dwarves.

However, a better solution for siege situations is to be able to designate "military" and "safe" zones.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:15:10 am »

I think this, or suggestions to this effect, has been brought forward a number of times before.
Sorry I just can't imagine how to name it properly >_< (Also, edit in the original post.)

However, a better solution for siege situations is to be able to designate "military" and "safe" zones.
That's true.

However, I can name a few things in favor of my suggestion:
1) it may be possible to use it for other means (only let certain dwarves go to some places inside the fortress), also it would be nice if it had a feature of filtering out animals (cats should stay inside!  ;D)
2) limiting dwarf access to some areas by "psionic waves" (safe/unsafe areas) while effective, is not very realistic; using dwarfpower to do the same is more realistic, and you aren't getting more control over your dwarves for free.
3) it makes use of otherwise not very useful guards. Of course, by guards I mean fortress guards we have now.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:17:17 am by n2 »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:53:43 am »

Something like a gate with guards: requires guards to operate; only lets certain dwarves pass (as in workshop profile); with no guards the gate's closed.
Most useful to only let your woodcutters and haulers outdoors, but I can think of other applications too.

I think Keys is what you're looking for, although this is a unique implementation so far as I know

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:54:59 am »

It's the same as other zones, they're an agreement between the dwarves to do certain things in a certain area. But I like your suggestion as well, it will be useful for throne rooms and treasuries among other things. It shouldn't be another building though, just added functionality to any door/hatch/stair or whatever.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 12:14:17 pm »

This would be a good idea, especially with gates. Seems its so hard to make a multi-tile door thing. A guard posted at a gate, could inpect anyone going in or out, not blocking the path but slowing the dwarves down, as if they had to go through a check before they could go outside, like that guy in Lord of the Rings.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 03:38:20 pm »

This would be a great way to add multi-tile gates, as well as occupy the Fortress Guard. I could see it adding room value or as a mandate requirement, also, so that having guards to royal areas would be both flavorful and beneficial.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 04:26:13 pm »

It's a cool idea, but it would require some serious changes to pathing -- the game would have to handle profession-specific pathing, and what happens if the guard decides to leave while somebody's on the way?

texmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 06:00:33 am »

Nice idea. Using a building to control access is much nicer than an abstract 'zone' system IMO. Using guards to police it would be ideal.

It's a cool idea, but it would require some serious changes to pathing -- the game would have to handle profession-specific pathing,
This doesn't seem insurmountable. Any system that restricted access for certain dwarves to certain areas would need equivalent pathing changes. Controlling transfer through access points could be further optimised compared to restrictive zones that might cover huge areas.

and what happens if the guard decides to leave while somebody's on the way?
The same thing that happens when a wall is built in a dwarf's way. There are many existing cases where a dwarf's path can become blocked / unblocked dynamically.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 12:17:03 pm »

It's a cool idea, but it would require some serious changes to pathing -- the game would have to handle profession-specific pathing, and what happens if the guard decides to leave while somebody's on the way?

Profession-specific pathing (or, more geneally, dwarf-specific pathing in the event of keyed doors) is worth worrying about; however, if it works, it'll work.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 12:05:30 pm »

They need surface passes to go outside. You could designate who has passes.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 01:37:56 pm »

Actually I think the zone implementation is more logic, guards don't NEED anything to just pace back and forth and yell 'halt who goes there!' to everyone and then inspect them (or fight them).  The zone could be called an inspection zone perhaps, it designates an area in which the guards will patrol (by automatic perimeter walking) and all your dwarfs will stop upon entering the zone for an inspection by the guard who will go to quickly inspect everyone entering as they enter the zone.  Hostiles will of course not stop and be immediately attacked by the guards.  The zone would hold the desired settings for who can pass.  When their are no guards present naturally everyone passes through without being checked.

An actually building for guards which holds as a kind of 'mini fort' holding a bed and a small supply of food, water and ammo has been suggested before and I whole heartedly approve.  Guards and other military would use the guard post to sleep and eat in such that they can stay near a specific point without wandering all over the fort to eat and sleep.  The post might also allow a sleeping dwarf to wake up when something happens nearby or for an automated 'tag team' rotation of two dwarfs one of which will always guard the desired objective which might be a patrol path, a lookout position or the zone based inspection area.  Keeping logistical support building separate from the desired activity zones makes them flexible and simplifies the system greatly while allowing the player to link the work zone, rest zone and squad into his own structure.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 01:53:20 pm »

I like it, simply because it would actually give a purpose to the fortress/royal guard, it doesn't have to be a building though. You could simply asign a guard to a door, or give orders to individual guards, such as station guard and guard this area (khum to expand/contract) and like everyone in the thread sugested, allowing only certain dwarves to pass.
You could allow certain dwarves to pass by profession, like Allow only: Blacksmith, Woodcutter, Peasant, Noble, etc. or individually, like Allow only: Urist Mcgreedymayor.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:55:39 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 03:39:55 am »

I like the idea of multi-tiled gates. My main passages are always wider than 2 tiles.

Actually I think the zone implementation is more logic, guards don't NEED anything to just pace back and forth and yell 'halt who goes there!' to everyone and then inspect them (or fight them).  The zone could be called an inspection zone perhaps, it designates an area in which the guards will patrol (by automatic perimeter walking) and all your dwarfs will stop upon entering the zone for an inspection by the guard who will go to quickly inspect everyone entering as they enter the zone.  Hostiles will of course not stop and be immediately attacked by the guards.  The zone would hold the desired settings for who can pass.
OK so far.
When their are no guards present naturally everyone passes through without being checked.
An this totally negates all it's benefits. What if a dwarf sneaks out when a guard is not around, but then a guard won't let him go back, right? The reason why I suggest a gate, because it's rational to make it closed when undwarved.

What do u want to check in dwarves? It's not like there are drugs or contraband in teh game. There is not a single thing to "check" about them. Only let them pass, or not. For that reason, if I'm not mistaken, castles always had gates, not some kind of zones. And IRL if there's a place with restricted access, like subway, or a cinema, or your work or study place, everywhere, u always get your pass checked at some kind of gate (not necessary a giant door). And they are usually meant so that you can't pass when no one's looking. (except for temporary or unimportant ones)

An actually building for guards which holds as a kind of 'mini fort' holding a bed and a small supply of food, water and ammo has been suggested before and I whole heartedly approve.  Bla-bla-bla.
You can already build beds and food stockpiles and ammo stockpiles. Why would you want a building with all of these, i.e. with nothing you can't do already?
Stockpiles getting priorities or special fill orders (if empty fill it NAO or smth like that) will probably be better, because of better application. No, it would actually be the best thing ever.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:50:21 am by n2 »
Pages: [1] 2