Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79

Author Topic: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?  (Read 191455 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cortex Command - What do you mean data released version 1.0?
« Reply #1155 on: October 13, 2012, 03:50:46 pm »

hay guise

introducing fractal lightning
Oh my goodness...

I want that so bad you have no idea.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 13, 2012, 03:56:26 pm »

I have always been confused as to why you can't run the calculations client side without issue. So long as the random numbers are shared shouldn't the results always be the same? I hear floating point numbers could be an issue but surely there are ways around it. This is coming from a completely novice programmer mind you.

Running the physics calculations client-side is easy. Ensuring that the calculations are consistently producing the same results for all players is slightly more difficult. Ensuring that the calculations produce the same result when one of the players is actively trying to give wrong results (aka, someone is cheating) is incredibly difficult.

That would be why.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 13, 2012, 06:30:56 pm »

Shook, you're modding Cortex Command again? Hell yeah!
I predict more awesome if Shook is back to modding. :D
And fractals are indeed awesome. Fractals weapons are a whole 'nother level of fractawesome.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1158 on: October 13, 2012, 07:48:54 pm »

Oh my goodness...

I want that so bad you have no idea.
nyeheheheheheh

Don't worry, you'll get it soon. Until then, you can get the old non-fractal-branching version right here. :U
Also, fun fact about this fractal branching: If each iteration had a 100% chance of creating a new branch with 250-i iterations (it did have the latter part originally), the bolt would branch 3,23*10^492 times. Fortunately, as it stands right now, it's not even guaranteed to branch once (8,1% chance of not branching at all, after that it gets notably harder to compute), so your computers probably won't explode.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: October 14, 2012, 04:37:23 am »

Shook used to mod Cortex Command and is picking it up again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1160 on: October 14, 2012, 06:07:24 am »

Shook used to mod Cortex Command and is picking it up again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
Yeah, he's even mentioned in the "Greatest Modders of All Time" thread on the Data Realm forums.

He created the Hueg Pack o' Mods and the Large Pile o' stuff
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 14, 2012, 06:13:35 am »

Those names sound very Shook. (in a good way, obviously)

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #1162 on: October 14, 2012, 07:23:38 am »

Don't forget the Pelian Army and the Angry Angry Rainbow Cannon (yes it works for 1.0, pure INI modding rarely has compatibility issues). :U
Also yeah i'm kindasorta coming back to modding after a long hiatus, i have a few new silly ideas that need doing. Notably, Orbital BaklavaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Strike. And possibly that lovely Devastator gun from Serious Sam 3, because goddamn that's an awesome Gun of Kill Everything if i ever saw one.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 14, 2012, 07:49:54 am »

You linked Angry Angry Rainbow Cannon before.

Oh, and your divide by infinity cannon made "Congratulations, you've destroyed the dummy base!" more literal then ever. I even nearly blasted my own brain using it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 14, 2012, 11:00:31 am »

I have always been confused as to why you can't run the calculations client side without issue. So long as the random numbers are shared shouldn't the results always be the same? I hear floating point numbers could be an issue but surely there are ways around it. This is coming from a completely novice programmer mind you.

Running the physics calculations client-side is easy. Ensuring that the calculations are consistently producing the same results for all players is slightly more difficult. Ensuring that the calculations produce the same result when one of the players is actively trying to give wrong results (aka, someone is cheating) is incredibly difficult.

That would be why.
The kind of multiplayer I'd like to see for this game wouldn't need many, if any, anti-cheat measures. I'd only want to play it with people I know well enough to trust.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 15, 2012, 10:08:34 am »

This was fun :)

My only issues with the game right now:

1. Gold Mining AI is particularly dumb.

2. Random spots in bases that instakill me.

3. Being able to drop stuff all over is hard to not take advantage of. AA giving you trouble? Drop a pod on it.

4. Campaign mode almost always ends with the human having 5+ brains while the CPUs are all 0 because of bad AI. Campaign is really, really boring when you're the only one who can attack. The game should just end. Also, Campaign in general is kind of meh. The AI either trench themselves in so deep that you have to hammer away at them for hours, or the AI hasn't entrenched and you will win 9/10.

I think the game is decent, but not really a 1.0. Needs a lot of polishing. I adore all the physics and gibs and all that though. Having your Brain showered in debris from your own dropship is hilarious.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1166 on: October 15, 2012, 12:03:41 pm »

I told my brain to gold mine.

I called down a few troops and started fighting.

Suddenly I lost.

What?

I look around.

My brain had dug down off the bottom of the map.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1167 on: October 15, 2012, 02:47:31 pm »

I told my brain to gold mine.

I called down a few troops and started fighting.

Suddenly I lost.

What?

I look around.

My brain had dug down off the bottom of the map.

Also, apparently picking up your brain, even for just a fun ride, is an instant loss.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 15, 2012, 03:14:11 pm »

Also, apparently picking up your brain, even for just a fun ride, is an instant loss.
Picking up your brain? Fun ride?? That's just asking for it :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: October 15, 2012, 04:03:01 pm »

If you pick up the brian, it most likely assumes you're fleeing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79