Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Melt that stone!  (Read 8158 times)

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melt that stone!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 10:16:05 pm »

Suppose you want to "smelt" rocks without breaking ore reactions or "cheating" to acquire bars of random metals... would something like this work?

[MATGLOSS_STONE:SANDSTONE]

[NAME:sandstone][COLOR:6:7:0][TILE:'#']

[SEDIMENTARY][AQUIFER][SEDIMENTARY_OCEAN_SHALLOW]
[METAL_ORE:IRON:0]

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 02:26:48 am »

you mean,a reaction to burn it into nothing?

yes, that does work

at that rate you could just dump it in the magma though.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:51 am »

I was thinking more along the lines of just having it on the economic stones screen so you could say "don't use it!" :)

That way at least I won't make a billion andesite doors before I get around to dumping it.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 12:36:09 pm »

if for some reason there was enough interest in fixing the glitch I could remove all the ore from the reactions in the metals.  But me personally I have never made the metals in question from either bars or ore so it does not affect me, and if you just don't make them from the ore's it wont affect you either.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 12:45:54 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of just having it on the economic stones screen so you could say "don't use it!" :)

That way at least I won't make a billion andesite doors before I get around to dumping it.
You could just install mayday's graphics pack as it allows changing of any stones economic setting.  Don't know why a graphics pack would do that but it does.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 02:22:40 pm »

Suppose you want to "smelt" rocks without breaking ore reactions or "cheating" to acquire bars of random metals... would something like this work?

Wouldn't that interfere with things if you wanted to smelt 'real' iron ore? Additionally, you can still smelt an alloy from a 0% ore. Just tried it. (Set random rock to 0% silver and 0% gold, forbade everything else, ordered electrum from ore.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 07:47:09 pm »

Wouldn't that interfere with things if you wanted to smelt 'real' iron ore? Additionally, you can still smelt an alloy from a 0% ore. Just tried it. (Set random rock to 0% silver and 0% gold, forbade everything else, ordered electrum from ore.)

Dang, that sucks. I just started a new fortress with my 0% ore stones but I don't have a smelter up yet. It shouldn't interfere with just making iron though, because you have to specify the type of ore you want to smelt if you're not making an alloy. As long as I don't somehow forget that Hematite holds iron and Talc doesn't that aspect should be good (should have been good, rather, since if it doesn't also fix the reactions I'm not so keen on it.)

You could just install mayday's graphics pack as it allows changing of any stones economic setting.  Don't know why a graphics pack would do that but it does.

The Mayday graphics pack also incorporates a bunch of minor mods, IIRC. That's why people have so many problems using it in succession games - it makes their saves incompatible with vanilla DF. Maybe I'll download it and see what they've got going with the reactions.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:19 pm »

The Mayday graphics pack also incorporates a bunch of minor mods, IIRC. That's why people have so many problems using it in succession games - it makes their saves incompatible with vanilla DF. Maybe I'll download it and see what they've got going with the reactions.

You just need a reaction with each of the different stone types as a reagent, and no product. You'll never actually run the reaction, but it means that when DF is finding economic stones, for each stone type it will find a reaction with it as a reagent and declare it economic. Mayday includes one, and I've seen a few other variants floating around the forums.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 08:40:01 pm »

You just need a reaction with each of the different stone types as a reagent, and no product. You'll never actually run the reaction, but it means that when DF is finding economic stones, for each stone type it will find a reaction with it as a reagent and declare it economic. Mayday includes one, and I've seen a few other variants floating around the forums.

Heh, know what the funny thing is? I just found out that this thought has gone through my head before. I've already got a file with empty reactions for the stones. I guess I didn't notice and had time to forget because I hadn't restarted DF until I read this topic and made this fort -- I tend to leave it running until a new version (or several in the case of the recent dev activity) comes out. And actually for the past couple versions worth of restarts (40d2 and 40d6) I was concentrating more on how my new races were warring (or not) during worldgen.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 07:14:43 am »

How could you add a fuel result to the reaction? Not really experienced with tokens, here.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 07:50:14 am »

One solution would be to only allow alloys to be made from bars. Do people really melt down raw ores together to make alloys anyway? I thought alloys needed precisely measured quantities of material, so I'd think all the impurities in ore would muck that all up.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 06:28:26 pm »

One solution would be to only allow alloys to be made from bars. Do people really melt down raw ores together to make alloys anyway? I thought alloys needed precisely measured quantities of material, so I'd think all the impurities in ore would muck that all up.
Yeah, that would make more sense... And for the next version I will remove all the make metal from ore...
 Umm actually if there still is this stone problem with the next version of DF I will update it and probably strip out most of the possibilities for making a random metal.. Maybe just keep iron in unless I can make it less than a 1 in a 100.... 

I like having the spare metals around... actually gives my smiths something to do.. but it does create a mod that kinda unbalances things.. Not as bad perhaps as not having magma or as losing access to getting what you want from the dwarven caravans when you become mountainhome.. but unbalances none the less.

Pages: 1 [2]