Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Melt that stone!  (Read 8159 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Melt that stone!
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:14:30 am »

While I do like my legendary miners, I am sure this is a fairly common sight to you all

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And while dwarves are supposedly master metalworkers, often masses of magma smelters go unused

Indeed the creamatorium in the lower right hand corner would see far more action in any of my normal games.

To give my furnace operators something to do and to reduce the amount of stone laying about, this mod makes all stones smeltable.

As a bonus every once in a while it will actually produce a bar of metal. Currently the rates are for every 100 stone you melt you will get about 3 iron bars, 1 nickel bar, 1 gold bar, 1 copper bar, 1 platinum bar, and one aluminum bar.   Not enough to repave the fortress in platinum floorplates, but I have been able to make a few rose gold bins.   Think of it as a tip for cleaning your floors =)

If you wish to change the ratios of metals you get, feel free they are all in the open.   You may also consider adding a fuel result too if you wanted to do this with a non magma smelter.. but personally I find it distasteful to not use magma.

RESULTS

This mod appears to work on saved games.

To install: Backup your current raw\objects folder

Replace matgloss_stone_layer.txt with this

And if you want to melt the little pockets of mica and stuff, Replace matgloss_stone_mineral.txt with this

Dwarves can now (s)MELT THE WORLD!

So much more dwarvenly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:59:16 am by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Melt that stone!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 11:33:48 am »

If you were aiming to give those tokens to all stone that doesn't already smelt into something, then you forgot a few of them in the minerals file, most notably cobaltite and cinnabar. Also petrified wood, but I'm guessing you have your reasons for that one.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 03:36:49 pm »

LOL yeah petrified wood does not strike me as a stone..  But yeah missed the other two.. I normally make stuff out of cobaltite but cinnibar must be (s)MELTED!  Will edit them post haste to be able to clear that as well. =)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:19:20 pm »

Actually, according to the all-knowing god of knowledge, petrified wood IS stone (to be more precise, the biological materials in the plant cells are replaced with minerals), and even contains trace amounts of iron and copper (and other metals that dwarves are too manly dwarfly to use).

Sounds to me like a better candidate for your mod than a lot of those other stones.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:21:27 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 04:24:17 pm »

This is a pretty neat idea. Though, I usually just turn down the melting point of the offending stone to zero. That way it instantly melts.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 05:28:20 pm »

Actually, according to the all-knowing god of knowledge, petrified wood IS stone (to be more precise, the biological materials in the plant cells are replaced with minerals), and even contains trace amounts of iron and copper (and other metals that dwarves are too manly dwarfly to use).

Sounds to me like a better candidate for your mod than a lot of those other stones.

Interesting.....

And it's remains of hated trees......
Maybe even some elf bodies that were squashed while they were hugging it and it fell over.....

MELT THEM TOO!!!!!!

*Updated mod*

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 04:53:40 pm »

This is a pretty neat idea. Though, I usually just turn down the melting point of the offending stone to zero. That way it instantly melts.

You can do this to a saved game and not break it right? What are the consequences of doing this? Will my workshops melt as well?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 06:13:18 pm »

Consequences:  any dwarves occupying the same tile as a boiling stone will instantly freeze.
Workshops will not explode as long as they are not made of the offending stone type.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 06:47:38 pm »

You can do this to a saved game and not break it right? What are the consequences of doing this? Will my workshops melt as well?

Yeah, you can do it to a savegame. The consequence is that anything made of that stone will turn into molten rock, except constructions. So, any building or item made of, say, Felsite, will melt into felsite goop when you do this. That means that any masterwork crafts of that type will melt too, which could result in tantruming. It's best done at the start of a fortress before you can get anything like that, or when clearing out a large space in a newly-dug stone layer.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 04:44:55 pm »

Question: Wouldn't this potentially interfere with making alloys from ore the same way that the mixed ores (like tetrahedrite) already do, in terms of being able to make nickel silver/electrum/billion/rose gold/etc. from any two rocks that you happen to have lying around?
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 08:44:30 pm »

Question: Wouldn't this potentially interfere with making alloys from ore the same way that the mixed ores (like tetrahedrite) already do, in terms of being able to make nickel silver/electrum/billion/rose gold/etc. from any two rocks that you happen to have lying around?

The potential is there, but currently in my game I cannot make rose gold from 2 random rocks, didn't look at any other alloy but my assumption is that they are hardcoded.  At least rose gold is.   If for some reason the rest arn't it would be exploitable.... but then so is cooking dwarven beer roasts and about half a billion more things, but I am pretty sure the game has hardcoded reactions for ore, and I know at least one reaction is for sure.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 08:52:32 pm »

Hardcoded? All reactions are in raws.

[REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING]
[NAME:make rose gold bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ROSE_GOLD]
[FUEL]

for rose gold for example. What are you talking about?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:55:05 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »

The potential is there, but currently in my game I cannot make rose gold from 2 random rocks, didn't look at any other alloy but my assumption is that they are hardcoded.  At least rose gold is.   If for some reason the rest arn't it would be exploitable.... but then so is cooking dwarven beer roasts and about half a billion more things, but I am pretty sure the game has hardcoded reactions for ore, and I know at least one reaction is for sure.

Odd. To my knowledge, that isn't hardcoded. Though,(from a brief reading of the raws), it looks like you're mostly fine since a lot of the alloys that don't involve tin or zinc require bars. However you should be able to make Electrum(silver + gold) and Billion (silver + copper). It should show up in the smelter as "make electrum (use ore)" and "make billion (use ore)".

Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 08:36:00 pm »

Odd. To my knowledge, that isn't hardcoded. Though,(from a brief reading of the raws), it looks like you're mostly fine since a lot of the alloys that don't involve tin or zinc require bars. However you should be able to make Electrum(silver + gold) and Billion (silver + copper). It should show up in the smelter as "make electrum (use ore)" and "make billion (use ore)".

Hardcoded was a bad term to use, I should have used reactions were coded and not open, but since I really never looked at them I couldn't say for sure.

But since I am kinda curious I just looked at a reactions possible from a random rock using its details screen and electrum, fine pewter, trifle pewter, billion, bronze and brass can be made with any old rock.   Kinda surprised me as I figured they would all use the same mechanism as rose gold did. 

If you do not like such behavior use bars instead of ore in the smelter.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 08:48:06 pm »

Hardcoded? All reactions are in raws.

[REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING]
[NAME:make rose gold bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ROSE_GOLD]
[FUEL]

for rose gold for example. What are you talking about?

I meant non-dynamic when I said hardcoded not that it couldn't be changed in the raws. But apparently the smelter does use dynamic reactions anyhow.  Just rose gold happened to get lucky and pick one that does not use ore in its reaction at all.
Pages: [1] 2