Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2018 2019 [2020] 2021 2022 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3071503 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30285 on: April 21, 2017, 10:30:01 am »

Don't presume, the sentence lacks no clause, you went off in a direction which doesn't even overlap the post you responded to. If you know which point it was pointing towards let me know, I haven't a clue where it was.

Amazing or not, I'm not interested, for the same reasons I don't care to watch baseball or pro-wrestling, not my thing.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30286 on: April 21, 2017, 06:14:17 pm »

Feel free to keep at it if folks disagree, but it seems this discussion has kinda ceased to be meaningful/useful?

In other news, Sakura Trick is completely absurd.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30287 on: April 21, 2017, 07:34:24 pm »

Don't presume, the sentence lacks no clause
Then what was the point of it? If my post is going a different direction from something else you posted in this thread, and isn't in the quote chain, why bring it up? Your post has nothing to do with my comment on Sakura Quest.

you went off in a direction which doesn't even overlap the post you responded to. If you know which point it was pointing towards let me know, I haven't a clue where it was.
I don't know what post you think I was responding to, but in fact I've only responded to what I've quoted. The ability to quote exists for this reason, you know; it helps clarify what people are talking about.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30288 on: April 21, 2017, 07:53:32 pm »

Ok anime I am going to say something that will shock you to your very core!

Cooking isn't that hard! yeah I know... surprising...

Also women do not have a natural talent or inclination to cook beyond having a more sensitive nose and tongue (in general)... AND it is an important life skill that everyone should learn to do at least somewhat competently.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:55:46 pm by Neonivek »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30289 on: April 22, 2017, 11:42:00 pm »

Alice to Zouroku is really cinematic. I expected it to be a cute slice of life show, but more than anything it's actually super plot-heavy. Too early to say if the plot is really great, and it treads ground that has been covered and re-covered since Akira, but the cinematography and scoring are definitely excellent so far.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30290 on: April 22, 2017, 11:54:15 pm »

That looks like something pertaining to my interests. *tips fedora*

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30291 on: April 23, 2017, 06:27:53 pm »

Avatar would then be an anime, which is what the Avatar fans want.
That is not what we want. It's a cartoon. This is an important thing you must know.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30292 on: April 24, 2017, 04:34:50 am »

That is not what we want. It's a cartoon. This is an important thing you must know.

Does it actually matter whether its one or the other?

Harpadarpa.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30293 on: April 24, 2017, 04:50:45 am »

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFtfDK39ZhI

If you can get through the guy's smugness, it's a pretty good listen.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30294 on: April 24, 2017, 08:21:56 pm »

Oh fuck I was so confused because I was thinking about the one with the blue rabbits fuckin' not the cartoon.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30295 on: April 25, 2017, 03:13:35 am »

I've heard it before, but he only gives one side of the story. Sure, he mentions that there are some things that look like they could be an anime in the west, so we might as well call them anime.

But he never considers the flipside. If looking like an anime makes it an anime, and not looking like an anime makes it not an anime, then how do we then classify the full range of Japanese cartoons? Are they all anime, or only some of them? What if Japan's popular styles change: is the stylistic stuff from before the "real anime style" or is the stuff from after the change "real anime style".

And who is the arbiter of "true anime". It's clearly not the Japanese since they don't draw this distinction at all. it's not even a debate in Japan, it's all anime. You could draw everything Southpark style in Japan but with square heads, and they'd just accept it as another example of anime, just an odd one.

So the "arbiters of true anime" must be e.g. Americans. And fuck that. Fuck that with 17 sticks at once, it's the most idiotic concept ever that westerners are the "connoisseurs" who get to decide what is anime and what is not.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:13:56 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30296 on: April 25, 2017, 04:08:30 am »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30297 on: April 25, 2017, 04:22:44 am »

There's also the scale of the argument to consider. Ok we have "anime is the Japanese stuff" vs "anime is a style". There's also Occam's Razor. The chosen definition should be the one that makes sense, and can be agreed on by the most number of people.

The "country of origin" definition works for 99.9% of cases. There are the occassional questionable ones, e.g. joint productions, but generally if it was produced in Japan with a Japanese dub on release, we can use that as a working, objective definition of anime.

However, style is entirely subjective and ever-changing. How would that work as a "definition"?

- we'd need to list "features of animes", and get people to agree on that list. But can even you come up with a list of things all animes have? Everything on the list would be a "maybe, could have" item.

- we'd need to go over every show in existence, argue about whether it ticks the things on the list.

- then we'd have arguments about some shows which tick some of things but not others.

- We'd have to show how these so-called "universal" features of anime apply to Japanese anime, after doing it for the American stuff, to prove that our definition works. A universal definition isn't allowed to have ifs and buts.

As you can see, rather than "solving" the problem of how Avatar is classified, it would be the biggest clusterfuck in anime fandom history.

~~~~~

EDIT: The basic problem with the "Avatar is an anime, come fight me" thing is that "anime" means something closer to "sculpture" vs "painting". Anything sculpted is a sculpture, you don't get to be snobby about it because you don't like what they sculpted. If Avatar is anime then so is MLP. If not, then who are the "arbiters of taste" that get the right to declare things as anime.

That video was an example of the Avatar fans I was referring to, when I said Avatar fans want their fave show classed as an anime, but only if they can exclude My Little Pony and other "cartoons".

They're hipsters who want to appropriate the label because it's more "grown up" sounding than "cartoon". But only if they can exclude your "mere cartoons" from the "anime" label. Otherwise they'd be arguing "all cartoons are anime".
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:51:07 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30298 on: April 25, 2017, 04:47:07 am »

I don't watch much anime or cartoons, but I'd define animu as being motions animated in Japan and/or by Japanese direction/production.

Anyway. I've been watching Full Metal Alchemist  Brotherhood lately and I must say I am sorely dissatisfied. I realised after a few episodes that I had been building up this idea in my head that Brotherhood had everything I liked about FMA and more of it, when now in reality I've come to the conclusion that it's the other way around - it lacks in everything I liked about the original.

It's pacing is also horrendous. It feels like they are bored by the stories and are simply racing through them just for the sake of getting through them.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30299 on: April 25, 2017, 04:52:21 am »

It's pacing is also horrendous. It feels like they are bored by the stories and are simply racing through them just for the sake of getting through them.

That's exactly what they are doing, on purpose. The first anime was made very early on in the manga's life, it veers off course, story-wise so when they wanted to do the new one, it wasn't possible to merely make it a sequel. So they did a reboot.

However, for the reboot, most of their viewers already saw the first anime, so rather than a complete retread, they're doing an extended "story so far", so that new viewers aren't totally in the dark, but it isn't intended to replace the earlier animated versions of those events.

People more in the know than me (I only dabbled in the first series) could probably tell you "watch series 1 up to episode X, then jump over to Brotherhood at episode Y" which would avoid all the recaps and non-canon stuff.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:03:54 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2018 2019 [2020] 2021 2022 ... 2193