Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1937 1938 [1939] 1940 1941 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072072 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29070 on: September 24, 2016, 12:12:45 am »

Actually Nobunaga the Fool is reincarnation shenanigans, not time travel shenanigans.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29071 on: September 24, 2016, 12:21:44 am »

I don't get people who think Goku looks American:

Some people claim they seen an American when they look at Goku. I'm really not seeing that at all. Which parts of him look specifically caucasian? The skin tone is light, and not the cliche "tan/yellow" that people associate with Asians. I get that, but Japanese are pretty far north, it snows in the Japanese islands, and plenty of them have skin as pale or paler than the average American, so skin tone can't be the thing. Sure, in some shots his eyes look bigger/rounder than others, but that's not even how Japanese depict people to indicate race: westerners don't actually have giant round eyes like a cartoon: the cliche is that asians have slanty little eyes, but that's just a cliche, so since it's not really true, Japanese don't use the opposite trope of "round eyes" to indicate a foreigner.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:31:32 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29072 on: September 24, 2016, 12:26:55 am »

I don't get people who think Goku looks American

It is because most people do not know how to pick out American characters in Anime (BIGGEST and most immediate way is to look at their nose)

To most people anime characters look American. Since look the "slant eyes" are downplayed giving the character a more round eyes look.

So here is Western Animation Asian character from the same show

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And Western Animation Western character same show.

So Goku here looks WAY more American by Western animation standards than Japanese.

---

THAT is why Japanese characters look American to an American audience.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:35:16 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29073 on: September 24, 2016, 12:35:18 am »

Yeah, the thing Asians notice about westerners the most is "giant schnozz". So a westerner is indicated in a cartoon by having a huge/blocky hooter and blue eyes, and talking funny. They actually draw the eyes the same on both asians and westerners. It seems to be a asymmetrical thing: westerners notice the eye difference, and draw the noses the same, asians notice the nose difference, and draw the eyes the same.

The core thing to understand here is the concept of "The Other". Groups lock onto specific traits of otherness, and those traits are used as a short-hand to generalize a foreign group. But the foreign group themselves don't necessarily view themselves as adhering to our stereotypes of them. To them, we are the other, and they have specific traits that they identify as meaning "those white guys". If a character lacks any of the "white guy" tropes, they're viewed as probably Japanese, just like americans view characters as probably American if they lack any of the "asian guy" tropes. An elightening example is Marg Simpson. Everyone assumes she's white, even though she's a yellow person with an affro. Because she lacks the package of traits we associate with a specific race. Since Marg Simpson has no race, we assume she's "us" automatically. Similarly, anime characters with giant eyes and weird hair colors don't look like the cliche of "an american" to a Japanese person, so they assume they're Japanese unless told otherwise.

Another an example would be an American cartoon depicting a "French" character. They'd have a pile of cliched "french" things such as a beret, stripy shirt, cigarette holder, and a loaf of french bread. Whereas in France that would just be silly to do, characters are assumed to be French unless you give them a ten-gallon hat, cowboy boots, six-shooter and waving an American flag.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:56:08 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29074 on: September 24, 2016, 12:40:03 am »

Yeah, the thing Asians notice about westerners the most is "giant schnozz". So a westerner is indicated in a cartoon by having a huge/blocky hooter and blue eyes, and talking funny.

Big nose, blond hair, often blue eyes. As for Japanese not having Slant eyes... I don't know which people you are referring to.

As well Japan ALSO has its own markings of "Otherness" as well. If the show doesn't take place in America there is a good chance the character will lack the round eyes.

They actually draw the eyes the same on both asians and westerners

UHHHHHHHHHH...

Eagle in Haijime No Ippo basically "America Incarnate" in the best of ways.

Ippo who is basically "Japan Incarnate" in the best of ways.

Eagle has the slanted eyes (well box eyes >_>) and Ippo has big rounded eyes. Since Eagle is a foreigner in spite having the exact same character as Ippo.

This isn't ALWAYS the case (as said, if it takes place in America) but still.

---

My favorite villain from Haijime No Ippo will always be the Evil American Boxer... DANG! he was hilarious and such a stereotype cardboard cut out that I just love it!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:47:24 am by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29075 on: September 24, 2016, 07:17:24 am »

It seems pretty easy to justify the Major looking different since she wears a full body prosthetic. In SAC her appearance seems to stand out as unusual anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29076 on: September 24, 2016, 07:21:35 am »

It seems pretty easy to justify the Major looking different since she wears a full body prosthetic. In SAC her appearance seems to stand out as unusual anyway.

One of the major aspects of the show is also that Major could be a man and you would never know.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29077 on: September 24, 2016, 09:49:41 am »

" Ghost In The Shell follows the Major, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9."

"one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid"

"human-cyborg hybrid"

its going to be shit

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29078 on: September 24, 2016, 10:00:02 am »

I'unno, maybe a side plot will be exploring the history behind the major's mother and her robodong-equipped lover. One of a kind because no one's quite sure how that pregnancy happened when one part of the equation didn't even have chromosomes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29079 on: September 24, 2016, 10:47:43 am »

"one-of-a-kind human human robot hybrid hybrid"

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29080 on: September 24, 2016, 11:00:58 am »

Yeah it's probably going to be shit.

Society dealing with human / cyborg interactions is basically the main theme of Ghost in the Shell.

If it's only the Major the entire premise changes.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29081 on: September 24, 2016, 12:45:24 pm »

what the actual fuck

did they even bother studying the basic elements of the GitS world

did they even look in a dictionary for the definition of "cyborg"

do they not understand the distinction between cyborgs and andr/gynoids?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29082 on: September 24, 2016, 01:16:17 pm »

I mean the premise they gave us a while ago was
Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, “Ghost in the Shell” follows a female special ops cyborg who leads an elite task force called Section 9 for Hanka Robotics. Section 9 is devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, led by The Laughing Man whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka’s advancements in cyber technology.
I found it legitimately hilarious.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29083 on: September 24, 2016, 01:26:48 pm »

Jesus Christ, I haven't even watched GitS but I know that's not how it's supposed to go.

Also, Human Cyborg Hybrid. Really? Really?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29084 on: September 24, 2016, 01:56:31 pm »

To be overly generous that is kindof what you might think is going on at the very start of the storyline.
Pages: 1 ... 1937 1938 [1939] 1940 1941 ... 2193