Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1935 1936 [1937] 1938 1939 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072432 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29040 on: September 21, 2016, 08:42:14 pm »

Okay, I stand corrected on the order of occurrence.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29041 on: September 21, 2016, 09:17:33 pm »

I don't rate Berserk anywhere near that much but the art is nice.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29042 on: September 21, 2016, 09:20:32 pm »

Okay, thanks for the rant...but for all of that, can you honestly say that my comparison is wrong?
I mean no, not really, which is why I had material in the first place.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29043 on: September 21, 2016, 09:32:06 pm »

Resurrection didn't seem to keep the characters' power levels consistent. Piccolo was stronger than a Super Saiyan in DBZ after he fused with Kami but in Resurrection F he was only as strong as a Zarbon/Dodoria equivalent. Yamcha was considered too weak to join the fight but he's supposed to be stronger than Master Roshi and he was fighting too.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29044 on: September 21, 2016, 09:39:18 pm »

Didn't Yamcha basically give up fighting and training, though? He's already one of the weakest characters in the setting, and if he hasn't kept his skills sharp he'd be basically useless.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29045 on: September 21, 2016, 09:42:46 pm »

Isn't that one of the core flaws of the show though, that the stakes ramp up to the point where there's only 1 or 2 relevant characters and everyone else might as well not even exist?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29046 on: September 21, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »

Meanwhile in Berserk even the characters who are practically defined by a single motive are still nuanced, interesting, and dynamic.
Can we take a moment from ripping on GoT to appreciate this a little more? Ignoring main or even side characters entirely, for a series about monsters being cut in half by giant swords it pays a LOT of attention to the origins and motivations of some pretty soulless evils. It's one of the only works I can think of that manages transformations into twisted reflections of your former self without handwaving why as "it makes you evil" or how much as "not that bad."

The only parallel that comes to mind is From Dusk Til Dawn, which for being an openly B horror franchise also develops its characters bizarrely well.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29047 on: September 21, 2016, 09:57:52 pm »

Isn't that one of the core flaws of the show though, that the stakes ramp up to the point where there's only 1 or 2 relevant characters and everyone else might as well not even exist?

Definitely a valid point, Dragon Ball Supa kinda brushes with this by allowing Piccolo to effectively use his smarts to defeat a stronger opponent ( think him vs Android 17 but with a character only introduced in Supa ).  Really wish there was more opportunity for characters like Krillin to and Yamcha to support, but since everyone's geared towards martial arts head on fighting, only the strongest players are used.  If everybody just branched out in terms of skillsets or creative uses of what skills they already have, there'd still be valid ways to incorporate them into the series' conflicts.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29048 on: September 21, 2016, 10:09:16 pm »

Pretty sure Bulma has repeatedly saved the world numerous times by virtue of knowing the true weakness of someone who unironically goes by "God of Destruction", so Piccolo getting to Batman it up now and then isn't uncalled for.

As for Berserk, I love the response everyone had to Rickert seeing Griffith again for the first time since... the unpleasantness, and goddammit I want to see it animated right. Though, what is with Griffith managing to look all beautiful and whatnot even then?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29049 on: September 21, 2016, 10:16:31 pm »

He's the god of androgynous hotness, it's required in the contract.

3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29050 on: September 21, 2016, 11:09:21 pm »

Pretty sure Bulma has repeatedly saved the world numerous times by virtue of knowing the true weakness of someone who unironically goes by "God of Destruction", so Piccolo getting to Batman it up now and then isn't uncalled for.

As for Berserk, I love the response everyone had to Rickert seeing Griffith again for the first time since... the unpleasantness, and goddammit I want to see it animated right. Though, what is with Griffith managing to look all beautiful and whatnot even then?
He is literally designed and written to be the ultimate Bishonen.

I kind of love him for that, in that I hate him. Guts saddest man. Deserves better.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29051 on: September 21, 2016, 11:20:36 pm »

What with Griffith being literally 1/5th of a God makes sense for everyone to love him. 

I've always been of the opinion that the very nature of reality, being controlled by evil fleshy angels with sci-fi names and whatnot, conspires against Guts.  Guts opposes the Godhand.  The Godhand controls reality.  I've read somewhere else that the Godhand are so far above the other characters' level of reality that going up against them is like going up against the author of the manga, the person controlling their entire existence.

All the shit thats happened to Guts throughout his life can actually be explained by the Godhand, seeing how much of a pest he'd be through their non-linear perspective of time, decided to fuck with him before he'd even had a chance to be their opponent.  How's that for Causality. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29052 on: September 21, 2016, 11:50:31 pm »

Berserk is on hiatus until they stop making Idolmaster games.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29053 on: September 22, 2016, 12:33:47 am »

What with Griffith being literally 1/5th of a God makes sense for everyone to love him. 

I've always been of the opinion that the very nature of reality, being controlled by evil fleshy angels with sci-fi names and whatnot, conspires against Guts.  Guts opposes the Godhand.  The Godhand controls reality.  I've read somewhere else that the Godhand are so far above the other characters' level of reality that going up against them is like going up against the author of the manga, the person controlling their entire existence.

All the shit thats happened to Guts throughout his life can actually be explained by the Godhand, seeing how much of a pest he'd be through their non-linear perspective of time, decided to fuck with him before he'd even had a chance to be their opponent.  How's that for Causality.
Did you know that the author has stated that he pretty much plans on making it a happy ending?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29054 on: September 22, 2016, 12:43:28 am »

A happy ending for Griffith. :V

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1935 1936 [1937] 1938 1939 ... 2193