Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1868 1869 [1870] 1871 1872 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067990 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28035 on: July 03, 2016, 02:56:08 am »

Wasn't there a fan-theory suggesting that that was because they spent generations living underground without any way to measure the passage of time? Or maybe it was just the director pandering to-

Even in anime you don't look like that at fourteen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28036 on: July 03, 2016, 02:57:12 am »

that's simply untrue

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28037 on: July 03, 2016, 02:59:44 am »

Also apparently upon checking there are important internet people having important internet arguments over which of three ages is correct and whose unsubstantiated claims are correct. Because this appears to be a crucial life-affirming piece of information for... someone, one would think. Multiple someones, in fact. Something is wrong on the internet &c. &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28038 on: July 03, 2016, 03:01:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28039 on: July 03, 2016, 04:17:20 am »

CRUD! I just realized I am going to have to wait until the second season of the super hero anime comes out.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28040 on: July 03, 2016, 05:17:18 am »

-snip-

Spoiler: Pointless Pendantry (click to show/hide)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28041 on: July 03, 2016, 05:20:45 am »

And here I was, thinking I was posting something humorously relevant to the discussion at hand
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28042 on: July 03, 2016, 05:33:14 am »

-snip-

Spoiler: Pointless Pendantry (click to show/hide)

My theory on this is:

They don't know if it is a joke or not... but treat it as both true and a joke at the same time.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28043 on: July 03, 2016, 06:03:27 am »

And here I was, thinking I was posting something humorously relevant to the discussion at hand

I know. It's absolutely terrible. Thankfully I was here to correct your ignorance. You're welcome.

My theory on this is:

They don't know if it is a joke or not... but treat it as both true and a joke at the same time.

Who is they in this again? Because I'm not quite following you here.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28044 on: July 03, 2016, 11:40:17 am »

More Kill la Kill shower thoughts. Do you think it's pretty fair to say it's another deconstruction of the Mahou Shojou genre?

Granted the main character is a revenge-driven drifter who's older and edgier and more orphaned than the typical Shojou protagonist, and there's Tarrantino-tier blood spray and a lot more Basically Naked going on, but we still have the main genre tropes being played pretty straight. Through her adventures, Ryūko learns the value of friends and family, accepts her role as a superhuman (anti)hero, learns to listen to her feelings without reacting explosively to them, and grows from a tempermental and self-destructive loner teen into an angry but focused young adult who accepts herself and is comfortable relying on others. Seems to fit pretty well.

Like I said in my last KlK post, I was sorta meh on the Fanservice at first, and I'm still kinda uncomfortable with a few bits; Ryūko and Senketsu's first meeting was kinda rapey, and Sasuki and Ragyō in the bath made me squirm. Same goes for the massive amount of leering dudes, and how that's just considered normal and okay, but that's probably mostly my concern with mainstream Japanese culture and views toward women. On the flip-side, I appreciate how the fellas of Nudist Beach get sexualized too; even if it's mostly played for laughs when the dongles on their mech suits get in people's faces, it's good to see anime being more egalitarian about who wears the skimpy clothes.

I'm still really enjoying the construction of this show. I gather that Trigger sorta picks a motif and a genre, and builds everything around that; Gurren Lagaan had Spirals and Mecha, and Kill la Kill has Fashion/Fascism and Magical Girls. I dig how the show sort of teases at certain typical episodic structures, like having one big fight per episode and a systematic defeat of a series of Baddies leading up to the Big Bad, but then surprises you by changing things up; sometimes a fight lasts two episodes and ends unexpectedly, sometimes there's an early fight with the Big Bad, sometimes baddies forfeit or grow as characters after their defeat and/or become stronger, and even the little fights still move the plot forward and develop the main character so it never felt like filler or a slog. I was worried the Student Council's Four Devas would get shelved after their first big fight, but I love how they stick around like good baddies should. That whole twist with them and the academy was pretty cool too. :3

There's lots of interesting foils going on. There's that whole Peasant/Emperor and Freedom/Control foil between Satsuki and Ryūko, which apart from their color scheme makes them pretty high-contrast rivals (their whole "Life Fiber Synchronize" versus "Life Fiber Override" play into that too). Nui is kind of annoying, but she's a different kind of foil for Ryūko; visually I think they're treating Kawaii and Sexy as foils, and maybe as symbols for their Childish or Mature motives; one fights and kills without purpose beyond her own amusement, while the other does it to get closer to her goals. If Nui is a mad dog on a Kiryūin leash, Ryūko is like one of those shelter dogs with a rough history that finally found a good family. And then there's Mako and Ryūko, who seem to be foiled as friends in an entirely different way I can't really sum up. I love Mako's rants in defense of this or that, and how they stream-of-consciousness and Batman Logic their way into complete adorable nonsense.

That was a bit long-winded, so I'll wrap it up. I can already tell I'm going to miss this show when it's over. Gotta make the remaining episodes last!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:41:53 am by Solifuge »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28045 on: July 03, 2016, 12:23:18 pm »

Episode 2 and 3 of Gurren Lagann completed. I see where the name comes from. Digging it so far- How did Kamina make his sword that long!?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28046 on: July 03, 2016, 12:48:23 pm »

Episode 2 and 3 of Gurren Lagann completed. I see where the name comes from. Digging it so far- How did Kamina make his sword that long!?
the sword is as long as it needs to be for kamina to finish his speeches, don't question it
It's FEF, not FEOF

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28047 on: July 03, 2016, 12:50:31 pm »

But that's not-but-
why does that nerd fight with a cleaver what kind of weapon is a cleaver
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28048 on: July 03, 2016, 12:54:58 pm »

He was planning on preparing food and just happened to have it on hand iirc
It's FEF, not FEOF

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28049 on: July 03, 2016, 02:14:17 pm »

But that's not-but-
why does that nerd fight with a cleaver what kind of weapon is a cleaver
You are asking way too many questions of TTGL. It's a show about masculinity powered giant robots that get bigger and bigger for no other reason than because they need to be. I'm pretty sure the whole point was "Fuck you Evangelion, Giant robots are cool and always will be cool."
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 1868 1869 [1870] 1871 1872 ... 2193