Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1820 1821 [1822] 1823 1824 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065951 times)

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27315 on: April 26, 2016, 10:10:32 pm »

FMA Brotherhood is a bad place to start. It is a more faithful adaptation of the source material, but the original anime stands up on its own better despite its extreme deviations from the plot of the manga later on.

Cowboy Bebop is real good. Its atmosphere is fantastic and its characters fantastic. Some people might criticize it as "basically just Lupin in space" but that hardly matters to a newcomer. It also has an English dub so good that all English dubs released today are compare against its standard.

I've got a soft spot for Neon Genesis Evangelion, but nobody watches that show without either loving it dearly or loathing it deeply by the end, so handle that one with care.

Save yourself the trouble of Sword Art Online. Just watch Log Horizon instead. Basically the same premise, but with much more thought put into it.

If you want homoerotic undertones, watch Sakamichi no Apollon/Kids on the Slope. If you don't want homoerotic undertones, watch it anyway. High school jazz band in historically accurate '60s Japan. Good shit.

Kill la Kill is pretty cool. It's low budget, and it shows, but it's cheesy fun. Gurren Lagann is similar but with a much higher budget and with much more consistent quality throughout. They share a lot of the same staff, so that explains a lot. Also by that same staff is a budget sink pet project called Little Witch Academia. It's not that long and you should watch it immediately.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27316 on: April 26, 2016, 10:13:11 pm »

I wouldn't call Brotherhood a bad place to start for the same reason I'dcsay to not watch all of claymore. You might as well watch the version that doesn't veer off into its own little ending out of nowhere.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27317 on: April 26, 2016, 10:23:25 pm »

Brotherhood is just much harder to follow if you haven't read the manga than the original FMA anime is.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27318 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:01 pm »

Wasn't the optimal thing to watch, like, the first ten episodes of the original run and then watch Brotherhood?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27319 on: April 26, 2016, 10:42:30 pm »

Wasn't the optimal thing to watch, like, the first ten episodes of the original run and then watch Brotherhood?
What I'd heard originally was 'dont bother with the original, watch brotherhood'
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27320 on: April 26, 2016, 10:57:16 pm »

I don't know, brotherhood is a bit of a slow starter, but if you make it past that the payoff is really good near the end. I don't necessarily think it's the best anime to start on, but it's definitely not horrible (and overall it's regarded by a lot of sites as still being one of the best anime of all time). The original FMA does start up a bit faster, but the fact that they were missing the entire last half of the story (seriously, over half of the characters from brotherhood don't exist in the original) shows in the fact that their ending, while still being decent, is nowhere near as good as the real one.

As a person who watched anime when they were originally released, the original hype was "FMA is awesome, watch it!" and then as the manga went farther and farther away and eventually brotherhood came out the hype became "Watch FMA:B, it's awesome! Better than the original!". Both are very good and they even did at least a decent job of pulling off an endings in the original anime, though I personally think Brotherhood is better do to the simple fact that the ending and second half of the story are actually present rather than missing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27321 on: April 26, 2016, 11:03:56 pm »

I picked up the first few seasons of Watamote, Steins;gate, Death Parade, and Spice and Wolf, so I'll be checking those out.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27322 on: April 26, 2016, 11:31:33 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27323 on: April 27, 2016, 01:20:08 am »

What you do is watch the first 25 episodes of the original Fullmetal Alchemist show, and then skip to episode 11 of Brotherhood.

For the first ten episodes of Brotherhood it's basically a high speed rundown of the same events, but with a lot of the scenes trimmed down since they probably assumed most people were already familiar with the material. The first arc especially is handled a lot better in the original show compared to Brotherhood, but beyond that Brotherhood is probably the version you want to watch all the way through.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27324 on: April 27, 2016, 01:46:22 am »

What you do is watch the first 25 episodes of the original Fullmetal Alchemist show, and then skip to episode 11 of Brotherhood.

For the first ten episodes of Brotherhood it's basically a high speed rundown of the same events, but with a lot of the scenes trimmed down since they probably assumed most people were already familiar with the material. The first arc especially is handled a lot better in the original show compared to Brotherhood, but beyond that Brotherhood is probably the version you want to watch all the way through.
Very much this.  My sig has slightly more info.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27325 on: April 27, 2016, 07:11:51 am »

I have finished 6/11 episodes of Ristorante Paradiso, which I saw in a Reelya post a little ways back. It worried me at first, because the setting seems like it could have easily been really creepy (a restaurant staffed by older men with glasses that the owner's wife finds attractive) but it uses that as a vehicle to explore the lives and relationships of these guys that seem very similar on the surface. There's more romance and less food than I expected, but it's very well written so I'm pretty happy with it so far.

My favorite thing about it is the slow pace and chill atmosphere. Many scenes are characters sipping on wine and reminiscing. Entirely unlike most anime I've seen.

I'm also going to recommend Space Dandy, but also say that it is not something "just to watch." While a most of the show is goofy comedy, it does drop a few episodes that are really thought-provoking and sometimes surprisingly serious. "A World with No Sadness, Baby" might be one of my favorite anime episodes ever, and I think it works really well as the most serious moment of a usually cheesy show.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #27326 on: April 27, 2016, 07:28:51 am »

On an unrelated note- I'm relatively unspoiled to Madoka Magicka, save that bad things happen. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.
As I've said, watch at least to episode 3.

And post your reactions, they're always fun for those who have seen it.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27327 on: April 27, 2016, 07:35:55 am »

I binged Welcome to the NHK and I adore the way it jumps between soul-crushing and comedic. It's exhausting to watch. Probably one of my all-time favourites.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27328 on: April 27, 2016, 03:42:59 pm »

I had pretty much the same experience with Watamote. I've heard comparisons between the two before, but maybe they're even closer than I thought! Although Watamote sounds a bit more negative overall than that description -- even the comedic parts of Watamote are soul-crushing. The only time it is ever anything other than soul-crushing is when it's building up to a big soul-crush.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27329 on: April 27, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »

I've never watched Watamote but it sounds like The World God Only Knows to me.
Pages: 1 ... 1820 1821 [1822] 1823 1824 ... 2193