Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1801 1802 [1803] 1804 1805 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3063091 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27030 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59:33 pm »

oh my god, I haven't smiled and laughed this much since the first time I watched Lucky Star and thought that was the pinnacle of slice-of-life schoolgirl anime. It's been too long, way too long.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27031 on: April 12, 2016, 12:03:01 am »

i think watamote sorta pushed me over the edge in getting over my social anxiety, actually, completely forgot i had read that

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27032 on: April 12, 2016, 12:11:25 am »

Just gonna share this here: "Kuroki Tomoko is, without a doubt, the worst girl..."

When I saw this, I thought it was reasonably insightful about one of the ways we relate to characters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27033 on: April 12, 2016, 12:13:06 am »

it pushed me over the edge, mind, because i found tomoko like some sort of hilariously horrifying human being and i was like "FUCK WAS I LIKE THAT OH GOD GOTTA GET AWAY FROM THAT AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE"

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27034 on: April 12, 2016, 12:14:00 am »

I've forgotten who it was, but whosoever was looking for anime with romance where they get together quick and it's not harem: Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta seems to be going down that route.

Today I've been binge-watching Tonari no Seki kun and it's adorable
I found it to have lost some charm from the manga... But then, I only watched a few episodes so maybe I didn't give it a fair chance.

school stuff
No country really has universally good schools, and media depiction often makes things worse – not a lot of learning goes down in American TV schools, and that's true in the real life versions too but it's exaggerated in the TV versions. I find both a lot less horrible than those dystopian British schools where children are taken away from their parents and pitted against each other in four factions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27035 on: April 12, 2016, 12:17:18 am »

Today I've been binge-watching Tonari no Seki kun and it's adorable
I found it to have lost some charm from the manga... But then, I only watched a few episodes so maybe I didn't give it a fair chance.
Yeah the manga frames things a bit differently IIRC. Haven't read it in ages so I can't really say anything specific, but I think I prefer the anime's presentation

Just gonna share this here: "Kuroki Tomoko is, without a doubt, the worst girl..."
Oh it's a digibro video

I stopped taking him seriously after he said K-on was his favourite anime

k On~!

n
            o
            i
            e
fucking noiek
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:20:07 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27036 on: April 12, 2016, 12:25:34 am »

What's wrong with K-on!? It's a fine show. Unless you don't like it purely for hipster reasons (since it's not exactly obscure) by what criteria is it not a reasonable favorite to have?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:56:08 am by Cruxador »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27037 on: April 12, 2016, 12:41:28 am »

Nothing wrong with q
                          =
                          m per se, it's just not exceptional
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27038 on: April 12, 2016, 12:48:28 am »

I guess I do like Tomoko because she's an idealized awkward loser like myself, but I'd disagree with him when he says that she's totally without redeeming traits as a person. Being a bumbling, awkward loser is, in itself, kind of endearing to me. Maybe it's different for me because high school was just a few years ago, but there's something so... me about a person who sits quietly in the corner, hiding behind a book, screen or headphones whenever there's the threat of a social encounter, or hides in the bathroom to get away from a potentially awkward encounter, or plans escape routes from a restaurant to avoid being seen by somebody, or is shattered inside when a friend reveals that they've succeeded at exactly the thing that I've failed horribly at for months.

Somebody that behaves like me probably shares a similar mindset to me. It's the reason that my best friend is a self-proclaimed loser manchild like myself. We find reassurance in eachother's faults. When one of us catches the other making loud, stupid noises in the break room just to amuse ourselves, it's a shared experience we can laugh about rather than clamming up and being ashamed. Granted, we're not exactly as incompetent as Kuroki Tomoko. But then, nobody's an action hero like Goku or an adorable schoolgirl like Konata, either. Most fiction is about exaggeration to various effect.

To use the conclusion from the video, I'd rather be friends with Tomoko. I feel like Tomoko would understand if she caught me making stupid noises at 1 AM to amuse myself. Yuu probably wouldn't.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27040 on: April 12, 2016, 11:54:59 am »

school stuff
No country really has universally good schools, and media depiction often makes things worse – not a lot of learning goes down in American TV schools, and that's true in the real life versions too but it's exaggerated in the TV versions. I find both a lot less horrible than those dystopian British schools where children are taken away from their parents and pitted against each other in four factions.

Yeah but the implication in those "American TV schools" is always that there is learning going on... But they skip it because well... who wants to see an entire lesson. (or that yeah... it is a bad school). Which is often the excuse in Anime (for example Yu-Gi-Oh GX, though we don't see many classes, they imply that yeah there is still school)

This is assuming of course that the school isn't meant to be lousy as is ALSO the case in "American TV schools". They don't pretend that their cruddy garbage school is "ultra-elite".

It is just this weird phenomenon where I have no idea if "Ultra-Elite schools" in anime are meant to be a satire of the excessive elite-focused society... or is a blind depiction of the glorification of the elite with absolutely no self-awareness.

Or rather... Imagine if the whole "Children taken away from their parents and pitted against eachother" had its own anime and without changing ANY of the details called it "Ultra-elite" and basically glorified it. You would honestly wonder if it was being serious too.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27041 on: April 12, 2016, 12:02:28 pm »

Harry Potter? Hogwarts is generally considered an elite school despite the (often violent) altercations that occur between houses. And the school encourages conflict between them at every turn by physically separating them and setting up various competitions. Even many adults take the house system gravely seriously. Though adults who take high school too seriously is the norm in high school based fiction, I suppose.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27042 on: April 12, 2016, 12:23:49 pm »

Harry Potter? Hogwarts is generally considered an elite school despite the (often violent) altercations that occur between houses. And the school encourages conflict between them at every turn by physically separating them and setting up various competitions. Even many adults take the house system gravely seriously. Though adults who take high school too seriously is the norm in high school based fiction, I suppose.

Yes but the fact that Hogwarts seems wonderful at first but is actually a very bad school is intentional. You are slowly disillusioned as the books go on.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27043 on: April 12, 2016, 12:48:10 pm »

But then, nobody's an action hero like Goku...

No, but I have a truly disturbing number of things in common with Vegeta.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1801 1802 [1803] 1804 1805 ... 2193