Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1620 1621 [1622] 1623 1624 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3056013 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24315 on: September 05, 2015, 06:25:06 pm »

Catching up on the two latest episodes of Charlotte. This show...I'm not sure they could fit many more clichés in here if they wanted to. Not that it's bad, just something I noticed.

Spoiler: Charlotte ep. 9 + 10 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 06:44:37 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24316 on: September 05, 2015, 09:45:14 pm »

The writing in Charlotte is really weird. Although I'm just wondering about the reasoning behind the name.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24317 on: September 05, 2015, 11:19:51 pm »

Am I the only one who finds Visual Novels with sequels weird?
Do you mean ones with multiple endings?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24318 on: September 06, 2015, 12:52:25 am »

That reminds me of Deus Ex: Invisible War, where they're deliberately vague about which ending of Deus Ex 1 was chosen. It did kind of feel weird, too, because they basically had to leave the events of Deus Ex 1 shrouded in legend and rumours to make it work. So you have people for most of the game going "so I guess this mighta happened, or maybe that" which was weird for a sequel where you really want the story to pick up where it ended. So that sort of prevented it being a true sequel or an independent game in it's own right. It's not really a bad game, just not a good sequel to Deus Ex.

It really depends on the Visual Novel / game i guess. Some have multiple endings but you really know the "true route" when you find it (e.g. Stein's Gate), so those can have a sequel without it feeling weird.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:58:10 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24319 on: September 06, 2015, 12:57:32 am »

Or make a sequel for each individual ending and blow your production costs into the stratosphere.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24320 on: September 06, 2015, 12:59:55 am »

didn't invisible war SUCK?
Thankfully Mankind Divided will change based on your ending choice.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24321 on: September 06, 2015, 01:02:01 am »

Invisible War was ok as a game, it just wasn't as good as the first one. It didn't suck compared to average, non-amazing games. If it was just "Invisible War" as a new setting without the Deus Ex name it would have been much better received.

What in specific sucks about it? That there weren't as many upgrade options etc for your guns, and weapons no longer had alternate fire modes/alternate ammo, and the lockpicking system was simplified. Game mechanics things that only make sense to complain about if you were expecting the detailed inventory and alternate ammo weapon system from the first game. We don't say other stealth shooters suck because they don't have the same alternate ammo system as the first Deus Ex, so it makes little sense to claim Deus Ex: Invisible War sucks in an objective sense on it's own merits for lacking such a system, or any other game mechanic that's unique to the first game. Also, in the first game quite a bit of time is spent juggling junk in your inventory, and this is heavily reduced in the second game, so it's less heavy on inventory-tetris and micro-management.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:21:25 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24322 on: September 06, 2015, 01:09:09 am »

It sucked in the same way Spore sucked, or Starbound sucked. They're fine as games but didn't live up to expectations.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #24323 on: September 06, 2015, 01:21:27 am »

That reminds me of Deus Ex: Invisible War, where they're deliberately vague about which ending of Deus Ex 1 was chosen. It did kind of feel weird, too, because they basically had to leave the events of Deus Ex 1 shrouded in legend and rumours to make it work. So you have people for most of the game going "so I guess this mighta happened, or maybe that" which was weird for a sequel where you really want the story to pick up where it ended. So that sort of prevented it being a true sequel or an independent game in it's own right. It's not really a bad game, just not a good sequel to Deus Ex.

It really depends on the Visual Novel / game i guess. Some have multiple endings but you really know the "true route" when you find it (e.g. Stein's Gate), so those can have a sequel without it feeling weird.
I'm wondering if the new games will stay in prequel land forever or someone will finally take the axe to Invisible War and declare it not canon.

didn't invisible war SUCK?
It... functioned as a game.  If you go in knowing how much people hate it, you might be surprised into thinking its a good game because some parts of it are competent.  But if you play Dues Ex first, you'll understand why people hate it.  It took a fairly detailed near-future world based on conspiracy theories, and replaced it with an utterly generic sci-fi setting.  The gameplay was also pretty bland, although to its credit while it was a boring shooter the shooting mechanics of the original Dues Ex were too original for their own good.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24324 on: September 06, 2015, 03:00:09 am »

Man, I just started the first episode of Symphogear season 3, that first 5 minutes reminds me of why I love this show, stupid as it is. If you're going to make a dumb show, make it as dumb as possible and ramp the Rule of Cool up to 11, that's how it's done.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #24325 on: September 06, 2015, 03:03:40 am »

Man, I just started the first episode of Symphogear season 3, that first 5 minutes reminds me of why I love this show, stupid as it is. If you're going to make a dumb show, make it as dumb as possible and ramp the Rule of Cool up to 11, that's how it's done.
"K2 is now only the third highest mountain in the world"?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #24326 on: September 06, 2015, 07:41:15 am »

It sucked in the same way Spore sucked, or Starbound sucked. They're fine as games but didn't live up to expectations.
d-dont talk to me about starbound

i had such high hopes

and it all came down

Anyway, should I watch Himouto! Umaru-Chan or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure First?

inb4 awaken my masters

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24327 on: September 06, 2015, 08:03:43 am »

I don't know what the other one is, but you can't go wrong with Jojo.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24328 on: September 06, 2015, 09:02:23 am »

I haven't started it yet, but Himouto is definitely the complete opposite genre to JoJo so they can't really be compared. Depends whether you want 50 episodes of epic battles or 12 episodes of cute comedy. I think the premise could be interesting. At least it's not another thing about a club with 4 girls in it, or a harem. (those don't mean a show is bad by definition but they do tend to imply that the writer didn't try very hard for a setting or premise).

But, I'd say start with JoJo too. The first arc of JoJo goes for 9 episodes, then there's a time-skip. so if you want, you can watch JoJo eps 1-9, then switch to another show like Himouto for a change of pace, then back to the second arc of JoJo (eps 10~25)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:06:02 am by Reelya »

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #24329 on: September 06, 2015, 09:37:55 am »

I haven't started it yet, but Himouto is definitely the complete opposite genre to JoJo so they can't really be compared. Depends whether you want 50 episodes of epic battles or 12 episodes of cute comedy. I think the premise could be interesting. At least it's not another thing about a club with 4 girls in it, or a harem. (those don't mean a show is bad by definition but they do tend to imply that the writer didn't try very hard for a setting or premise).

But, I'd say start with JoJo too. The first arc of JoJo goes for 9 episodes, then there's a time-skip. so if you want, you can watch JoJo eps 1-9, then switch to another show like Himouto for a change of pace, then back to the second arc of JoJo (eps 10~25)

I'm still defining my interests, but I have an inherent taste with Himouto. However, JoJo has a kind of legacy for action, which is something I want to see if I like.

Your plan sounds good, though. I'll work on that.

Pages: 1 ... 1620 1621 [1622] 1623 1624 ... 2193