Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1596 1597 [1598] 1599 1600 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060687 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23955 on: August 13, 2015, 08:05:30 am »

Fallout's specific level of AH, I mean. Its differences are far more superficial. Here's an interesting one though, what if something is explicitly set in a real-world place but has huge, MAJOR differences? Like BB/Kuroshitsuji, I guess.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23956 on: August 13, 2015, 09:11:15 am »

Off the top of my head, Avatar and Korra aren't set in the US, most sci-fi isn't either (unless you somewhat stretch it and count the settings of Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, etc as "USA in space!"), and pretty much all fantasy shows that aren't sitcoms also aren't set in anything approaching the US.

That's also ignoring the deluge of very bad Sci-Fi channel originals set in "generic FUTURE WORLD/SPACE" or "generic MYTHOLOGICAL TIMES" (eg. all the shows/movies about Hercules) and similar shows.

Firefly, Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek all take place in "Sci-fi USA" though (even right down to calling the leader of the humans the "President" and having cabinet ministers)... Firefly does have a sort of European vibe, so I am willing to concede to that... though there is a cowboy.

European? They're ALL cowboys. There are barfights, train robberies and cattle-russtling in space ffs. The whole setting is based on the historical American post-civil-war era when the ex-confederate (who are the brown shirts of Firefly) common soldiers turned to crime and smuggling to get by. The one fancy place they go is actually more like pre-civil war Atlanta from Gone with the Wind than it is like anywhere in Europe. There was even a specific history of duelling in the classic South, so even the duelling scene is not specifically European. Also the populous Chinese in the series much more closely resemble ex-pat Chinese communities in the Gold Rush era than they do that of imperical China. So Firefly is based on 19th century America, and nothing more.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:29:31 am by Reelya »

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #23957 on: August 13, 2015, 11:20:02 am »

is this the anime thread
Have you read the title?
If it didn't include the word "anime," why would it be an anime thread?
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23958 on: August 13, 2015, 12:01:51 pm »

He's just commenting on all the non-anime talk.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23959 on: August 13, 2015, 12:06:25 pm »

Off the top of my head, Avatar and Korra aren't set in the US, most sci-fi isn't either (unless you somewhat stretch it and count the settings of Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, etc as "USA in space!"), and pretty much all fantasy shows that aren't sitcoms also aren't set in anything approaching the US.

That's also ignoring the deluge of very bad Sci-Fi channel originals set in "generic FUTURE WORLD/SPACE" or "generic MYTHOLOGICAL TIMES" (eg. all the shows/movies about Hercules) and similar shows.

Firefly, Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek all take place in "Sci-fi USA" though (even right down to calling the leader of the humans the "President" and having cabinet ministers)... Firefly does have a sort of European vibe, so I am willing to concede to that... though there is a cowboy.
Firefly is more American than real life, and that's coming from someone who lives in the US.

Star Trek tried to be international.  Picard is from France, at least.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23960 on: August 13, 2015, 04:10:36 pm »

Reading this god of highschool thing. Possibly because I hate myself, I'unno. It's... kinda' shitty, honestly, so far. But. I did just realize that one of the characters. Mi-ra. If she has kids. She'll be Mum-ra.

And that's great. That's enough to keep reading, to see the further adventures of future Mum-ra. Wedding night's going to be hilarious, though, when the mask comes off and potential husband is met with the wrinkly sharp-toothed splendor. And then he's crying and backing away and it's all ANCIENT SPIRITS OF EVIL and a wilting flower as the scene fades to black. Beautiful. A modern day love story of unexpected mummy sodomy *sheds a single tear*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23961 on: August 13, 2015, 04:11:43 pm »

Are you guys still going on about this?

E: Oh, and in response to Frumple, (although this has probably been done to death), what is up with highschools? Why do writers see fit to shoehorn in a high/middle school even when there's no tangible benefit to doing so?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:14:29 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23962 on: August 13, 2015, 04:14:12 pm »

Ehhh we haven't had a real discussion for 20 pages. Once in a while is ok.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23963 on: August 13, 2015, 04:14:27 pm »

It's spelled Mumm-ra. Sadly, I have just ruined your fantasy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23964 on: August 13, 2015, 04:15:35 pm »

Nah, I know, I just didn't feel like misspelling mum. No fantasies ruined.
Ask not!
Ask!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23965 on: August 13, 2015, 04:22:53 pm »

E: Oh, and in response to Frumple, (although this has probably been done to death), what is up with highschools? Why do writers see fit to shoehorn in a high/middle school even when there's no tangible benefit to doing so?
Almost certainly because that's the age group that those types of shows (shonen and shojo) are aimed at, so it buys you a free +2 to character empathy from your readers. You'll note that in the Seinen and Josei categories there is a significantly less use of the high school as a location/age group for the characters.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23966 on: August 13, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »

Hell, the fun thing with this one so far is that high school has had... basically nothing to do with it. I think I've seen the inside of a classroom in the first 20+ chapters like four or five times, and something like half of those were flashbacks. Seems to mostly just be about the age group (and not even that to some degree, because there was a 23 year old that may or may not have been a mass murderer involved, too.).

This'un's more or less just a kinda' shoddy action/martials arts tournament thing with a more-or-less-entirely-non-sequitur title. It's actually a webcomic (/webtoon, whatever), so who the hell knows what's going on with it. I'm just in it for mum-ra, now. That and the art style's vaguely engaging.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23967 on: August 13, 2015, 05:34:43 pm »

Yeah there are quite a few "highschooler" series where they don't really focus on anything to do with the school at all. I think it's just sort of shorthand for a contemporary setting with young people, because you don't have to explain any more than that, people just get it when you say someone goes to highschool.

Anyway, universal schooling is a fact of life, so it's basically impossible to have a show focusing on modern teens and completely do away with it unless you have all the scenes at night and just pretend school doesn't exist. So asking why so many highschool series might be missing the mark - the real question (already answered) was why so many teenage MCs.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:47:54 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23968 on: August 13, 2015, 05:39:49 pm »

It's also a handy excuse for getting a disparate group of people in one place.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23969 on: August 13, 2015, 06:21:50 pm »

It's also a handy excuse for getting a disparate group of people in one place.
This exactly. High school is the perfect arena for having characters meet new friends and enemies while discovering interests and abilities they didn't have before, because it's exactly like that (if more mundane) in real life.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1596 1597 [1598] 1599 1600 ... 2193