Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058300 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21885 on: April 02, 2015, 09:06:38 am »

ITT: Descriptive v. Prescriptive, round 62467.

I'll just say that it irks me when people try to defend ignorance which obfuscates meaning by arguing that it doesn't matter because language is changing.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:08:55 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21886 on: April 02, 2015, 09:18:27 am »

Hear me now and believe me later: you should fucking watch Jin Roh. Here's a glorious OST to get you in the mood for a slow-paced, character-driven film. Do not be fooled by the epic power armored dudes you'll see if you google the show. If you go into it expecting a sci-fi action romp, you will be disappointed.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21887 on: April 02, 2015, 09:33:49 am »

My animes have finished.......... For the Season *(crosses fingers)*
What else should I be watching???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21888 on: April 02, 2015, 09:43:29 am »

If you want to have clear labels and strict delineations for stuff, that's totally fine. But my problem with it is that people are so annoying about it. Let me give an example that happened to me:

A friend was talking about some cartoon, one with an anime feel (maybe avatar? Dunno, don't remember) and used the word 'anime' to refer to it. To this, I pointed out that it wasn't made in Japan, which is usually part of the definition of 'anime', although a show made outside Japan can certainly have an anime-like aesthetic, plot, or whatever. After this, we continued talking, and said person later again referred to shows like this one as 'anime'. And you know what? That wasn't a problem! We both knew what he was talking about, communication was smooth and clear. Would there have been any gain in repeatedly reminding him that he used the word wrong in the strict sense of it? Or being unwilling to continue the discussion unless he stopped referring to these shows like anime? Because that is what irks me, not people pointing out the differences or giving strict definitions, but being anal retentive about it and stiffling what could be a good discussion because 'it isn't strictly anime'.

Note that, if people started to discus stuff such as 'the simpsons' I could agree it was a bit out of place in this thread, because it very obviously isn't like anime. But for western shows with a vibe so anime they get mistaken for one by people not in the know? Again, why the hell not, let's have a fun discussion instead of smothering it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:49:20 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21889 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:36 am »

I have yet to see a show in the USA that could be confused for a genuine anime.

Trust me Boondocks is closer to having a real anime vibe then Avatar is. (though Avatar has a beach episode... which is pretty much obligatory of any anime where the protagonist isn't an adult)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21890 on: April 02, 2015, 10:56:45 am »

Lol, all of my anime's are starting up this weekend; FS/N UBW, Ghost in the Shell, Triage X... (OK, that last one was a joke :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21891 on: April 02, 2015, 11:44:49 am »

Lol, all of my anime's are starting up this weekend; FS/N UBW, Ghost in the Shell, Triage X... (OK, that last one was a joke :P).
What do you watch them on? Waith Ghost in the Shell still has episodes being released???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21892 on: April 02, 2015, 11:57:27 am »

Its the tv show version of the Arise Ovas
It's FEF, not FEOF

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21893 on: April 02, 2015, 11:57:53 am »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:53:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21894 on: April 02, 2015, 12:07:14 pm »

I have yet to see a show in the USA that could be confused for a genuine anime.

So are all the people who mistake Avatar for an anime lying?

They probably have only seen Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon :P

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21895 on: April 02, 2015, 12:29:04 pm »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:55:13 pm by penguinofhonor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21896 on: April 02, 2015, 12:46:21 pm »

So you meant you have yet to see a show in the USA that could be confused for a genuine anime by people with a significant amount of experience with anime?

More that could be confused for the genuine article by people with more then a tertiary glance.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21897 on: April 02, 2015, 12:49:20 pm »

But Sailor Moon and DBZ are pretty long to be considered a tertiary glance. They have series lengths that make other series envious.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21898 on: April 02, 2015, 12:56:55 pm »

More that could be confused for the genuine article by people with more then a tertiary glance.
To be honest your wording here is kinda confusing. Are you saying that you've seen more things that can be confused and therefore are agreeing with penguinofhonor (despite seeming to go against your previous position that they should be able to tell the difference)?

What do you watch them on? Waith Ghost in the Shell still has episodes being released???
I'll PM you the link. I'm obviously not gonna post it here since it's kinda against forum rules, but those type of sites are pretty much the only way you're gonna see the latest stuff (excluding simulcast shows of course, where you might be able to get them with Premium Crunchyroll or something similar). As for Ghost in the Shell, they're doing like a minimovie/OVA type of "reimagined" series that has been rather good so far. The next episode/movie comes out Sunday.

Edit: Oh, and for anybody not up to date with the latest upcoming releases I highly suggest checking out Anichart, it's very nice for keeping track of everything.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:05:14 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21899 on: April 02, 2015, 01:06:59 pm »

Yeah opps...

I mean "no more than"

But Sailor Moon and DBZ are pretty long to be considered a tertiary glance. They have series lengths that make other series envious.

It isn't the length of the series but the variety of series you see.

If I listened to a 100 hour rap solo, I'd hardly consider myself a connoisseur of rap.
Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 ... 2193